January 2021 Challenge Thread - It's All One Song! And One Raffle!

imtheocean

Hi Everyone, and welcome to the January challenge thread! The title comes to us from the beginning of Neil Young & Crazy Horses Year of the Horse album, where a heckler yells out “They all sound the same” and Neil responds “It’s all one song!”.

In that vein and given that he’s one of my favorite artists, we are going with a Neil Young month for the daily challenges. I picked out Neil lyrics, and then built a challenge around them. No need to play Neil everyday (although @Yer Ol' Uncle D just may be able to pull it off).

I’m also going to continue the monthly raffle, this time going with a t-shirt from one of my favorite local venues, the Casbah in San Diego via The Casbah Merch Store . Like a lot of your local venues, they’ve been helping pay staff & other costs through online merch sales. Every post will get you an entry, so the more you post the better.

The rules:
  • Try to post something that hasn’t been posted yet for that day
  • Catch up posts are encouraged
  • Themes are a suggestion. Feel free to interpret as you see fit
  • Feel free to expand on your choice if you want. One of my favorite things about this thread is the stories behind the choices.
Day 1: “Baby, Mellow My Mind” – National Hangover Day - Play something that would help get you through a hangover.

Day 2: “Well I dreamed I saw the silver spaceships flying in the yellow haze of the sun” – National Science Fiction Day. Play something out of this world.

Day 3: “Oh Hello Mr. Soul” – Play some soul, or something that stirs your soul.

Day 4: “He Sleeps with Angels (too soon)” – Play something by someone no longer with us.

Day 5: “Old enough now to change your name” – Play something by someone who uses a stage name.

Day 6: “L.A., Uptight, City in the Smog” – Play something recorded in or references Los Angeles in some way.

Day 7: “Only love can break your heart” – Play something inspired by heartbreak, or that got you through a rough patch.

Day 8: “She was an unknown legend in her time” – Play something from an artist that you think should be more well known.

Day 9: “Jimi’s playin’ in the back room, Led Zeppelin on stage” – Play some classic rock, or a classic album.

Day 10: “Homegrown’s all right with me” – National Houseplant Day – Play something to make your plants happy. Or something inspired by plants that make you happy.

Day 11: “The Bridge, we’ll build it now” – play an album by someone who performed at the Bridge Benefit over the years (Bridge School Benefit - Wikipedia).

Day 12: “Live Music is Better, bumper stickers should be issued” – Play a live album.

Day 13: “I need a unit to sample and hold” – Play something with a sample, or was sampled.

Day 14: “I had a dog and his name was King” – National Dress Up Your Pet day. Play an album that references animals. Bonus points for a picture of your pet. Double bonus points for a picture of your pet dressed up.

Day 15: “Got mashed potatoes, ain’t got no T-Bone” – Play something food related.

Day 16: “Aurora borealis, The Icy Sky At Night” – Play something from the northern hemisphere. The colder the better.

Day 17: “In Eldorado town there lives a great bullfighter” – Play something from the southern hemisphere. The warmer the better.

Day 18: Dead Man – Play something instrumental.

Day 19: “Let’s Impeach the President for Lying” – Play a protest song or album

Day 20: “Looking for a Leader” – It’s inauguration day in the US. Play something optimistic or that signifies change.

Day 21: “Talkin’ bout the big time” - Play a breakthrough album.

Day 22: “Back in the old folky days, the air was magic when we played” – Play something from or inspired by the 60’s.

Day 23: “With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run” – Play something about cars.

Day 24: “I got the revolution blues” – Play something referencing a crime or historical event.

Day 25: “Everybody’s Rockin’, Rockin’ to the dancing beat” – In the late 80’s Neil got sued for making albums that didn’t sound like Neil Young albums. It’s Opposite Day, play something that was a departure for an artist, or something with an unexpected guest appearance.

Day 26: “I got faith in you, it’s a razor love that cuts clean through” – Play something about love.

Day 27: “Roll on Southern Pacific, on your silver rails” – Did you know that Neil owned Lionel trains for awhile? Play something involving trains.

Day 28: ARC – Companion release to Weld, it’s 30+ minutes of feedback. Play an album with feedback or noise.

Day 29: “Seems like that guy singing this song been doing it for a long time. Is there anything he knows that he ain’t already said?” – Play a later career album.

Day 30: The Mynah Birds – Did you know that one of Neil’s early bands, the Mynah Birds, also had Rick James as a member? Play something superfreaky, bring the funk.

Day 31: “I’m The Ocean, I’m the giant undertow” – Play something with a great guitar riff, or involving the ocean.

Hi Everyone, and welcome to the January challenge thread! The title comes to us from the beginning of Neil Young & Crazy Horses Year of the Horse album, where a heckler yells out “They all sound the same” and Neil responds “It’s all one song!”.

In that vein and given that he’s one of my favorite artists, we are going with a Neil Young month for the daily challenges. I picked out Neil lyrics, and then built a challenge around them. No need to play Neil everyday (although @Yer Ol' Uncle D just may be able to pull it off).

I’m also going to continue the monthly raffle, this time going with a t-shirt from one of my favorite local venues, the Casbah in San Diego via The Casbah Merch Store . Like a lot of your local venues, they’ve been helping pay staff & other costs through online merch sales. Every post will get you an entry, so the more you post the better.

The rules:
  • Try to post something that hasn’t been posted yet for that day
  • Catch up posts are encouraged
  • Themes are a suggestion. Feel free to interpret as you see fit
  • Feel free to expand on your choice if you want. One of my favorite things about this thread is the stories behind the choices.
Day 1: “Baby, Mellow My Mind” – National Hangover Day - Play something that would help get you through a hangover.

Day 2: “Well I dreamed I saw the silver spaceships flying in the yellow haze of the sun” – National Science Fiction Day. Play something out of this world.

Day 3: “Oh Hello Mr. Soul” – Play some soul, or something that stirs your soul.

Day 4: “He Sleeps with Angels (too soon)” – Play something by someone no longer with us.

Day 5: “Old enough now to change your name” – Play something by someone who uses a stage name.

Day 6: “L.A., Uptight, City in the Smog” – Play something recorded in or references Los Angeles in some way.

Day 7: “Only love can break your heart” – Play something inspired by heartbreak, or that got you through a rough patch.

Day 8: “She was an unknown legend in her time” – Play something from an artist that you think should be more well known.

Day 9: “Jimi’s playin’ in the back room, Led Zeppelin on stage” – Play some classic rock, or a classic album.

Day 10: “Homegrown’s all right with me” – National Houseplant Day – Play something to make your plants happy. Or something inspired by plants that make you happy.

Day 11: “The Bridge, we’ll build it now” – play an album by someone who performed at the Bridge Benefit over the years (Bridge School Benefit - Wikipedia).

Day 12: “Live Music is Better, bumper stickers should be issued” – Play a live album.

Day 13: “I need a unit to sample and hold” – Play something with a sample, or was sampled.

Day 14: “I had a dog and his name was King” – National Dress Up Your Pet day. Play an album that references animals. Bonus points for a picture of your pet. Double bonus points for a picture of your pet dressed up.

Day 15: “Got mashed potatoes, ain’t got no T-Bone” – Play something food related.

Day 16: “Aurora borealis, The Icy Sky At Night” – Play something from the northern hemisphere. The colder the better.

Day 17: “In Eldorado town there lives a great bullfighter” – Play something from the southern hemisphere. The warmer the better.

Day 18: Dead Man – Play something instrumental.

Day 19: “Let’s Impeach the President for Lying” – Play a protest song or album

Day 20: “Looking for a Leader” – It’s inauguration day in the US. Play something optimistic or that signifies change.

Day 21: “Talkin’ bout the big time” - Play a breakthrough album.

Day 22: “Back in the old folky days, the air was magic when we played” – Play something from or inspired by the 60’s.

Day 23: “With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run” – Play something about cars.

Day 24: “I got the revolution blues” – Play something referencing a crime or historical event.

Day 25: “Everybody’s Rockin’, Rockin’ to the dancing beat” – In the late 80’s Neil got sued for making albums that didn’t sound like Neil Young albums. It’s Opposite Day, play something that was a departure for an artist, or something with an unexpected guest appearance.

Day 26: “I got faith in you, it’s a razor love that cuts clean through” – Play something about love.

Day 27: “Roll on Southern Pacific, on your silver rails” – Did you know that Neil owned Lionel trains for awhile? Play something involving trains.

Day 28: ARC – Companion release to Weld, it’s 30+ minutes of feedback. Play an album with feedback or noise.

Day 29: “Seems like that guy singing this song been doing it for a long time. Is there anything he knows that he ain’t already said?” – Play a later career album.

Day 30: The Mynah Birds – Did you know that one of Neil’s early bands, the Mynah Birds, also had Rick James as a member? Play something superfreaky, bring the funk.

Day 31: “I’m The Ocean, I’m the giant undertow” – Play something with a great guitar riff, or involving the ocean.

I love the themes! ❤️ Setting the bar high for me next month...

1088834484-tumblr_inline_mibz2dNUSE1rpr1t4.gif

Day 1 - National Hangover Day

I shouldn't be feeling like this after only 3/4 of a bottle of Primitivo. Fuck, I'm getting old... Anyway, this ends up being my first spin of 2021. Highly recommended if this slipped by any Colemine/Daptone/Soul Fire/Big Crown fans...

Bobby Oroza "This Love" (2019 Big Crown)

IMG_1190.JPG

Day 1 - Mellow my mind

I thought I might wake up hungover but not too bad. Apparently drinking a nice prosecco at midnight rather than Andre right from the bottle was a good move.

Here’s what I grabbed for the morning. Probably going to be a lazy day.

673E455A-600E-4AE9-B3EA-E1E03AA00A72.jpeg

For me what can help me in a time of something being mentally exhausting or hung over is ambient, so I decided to go with this album that I enjoyed a lot more after I played the game on my phone (it's pretty solid), but beyond that is just a soothing album to think to

20210101_143038_HDR.jpg
Tim Shiel - Glowing Pains: Music from The Gardens Between

Day 1: “Baby, Mellow My Mind” – National Hangover Day
Play something that would help get you through a hangover.
Chromatics - Kill For Love
72AD085A-DBDB-43DA-890F-CCF90E67FC9E.jpeg
Pleasantly surprised no one had played this. It’s probably more “comedown” music than “hangover” music but that’s probably splitting hairs. Kill For Love is a slow burn masterpiece.

Day 1: “Baby, Mellow My Mind” – National Hangover Day
Play something that would help get you through a hangover.
Chromatics - Kill For Love
View attachment 82125
Pleasantly surprised no one had played this. It’s probably more “comedown” music than “hangover” music but that’s probably splitting hairs. Kill For Love is a slow burn masterpiece.

Ok, sold, I'll play mine next. 🍻

Back