January 2021 Challenge Thread - It's All One Song! And One Raffle!

Day 5: “Old enough now to change your name” – Play something by someone who uses a stage name.

Bernard Shakey ia a multi-talented man who's been involved in numerous projects. For example, he produced this record. Bernard also directed the companion concert film.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live Rust

20210104_010742.jpg

*catch-up*

Day 4 — “He Sleeps With Angels”

Frightened Rabbit — Midnight Organ Fight

0E95B596-1F48-4F64-BF13-38FCE451208A.jpeg

I was first introduced to FR around 2008, and “The Twist” off of this album, while admittedly not the best song on the LP, will subsequently hold a special place in my heart. Devastated when Scott passed from this world, and lucky that I already had the 180g reissue on the way (secondary markets are so predatory on artist deaths and it’s super angering).

Day 4: “He Sleeps with Angels (too soon)” – Play something by someone no longer with us.

Amy Winehouse - Back to BlackPXL_20210106_034347459.MP.jpg

The first time I heard Amy was on the radio on my way to work back when I lived in San Diego the first time. The veteran DJ announced the song--the first time the station was playing it--with praise for her talent and concern for her decision to eschew rehab. The song was obviously "Rehab," and I wonder if that DJ still thinks of his words the first time he played her record on the radio.

Last edited:
Day 5 — “Old Enough Now To Change Your Name”

Frank Ocean — Endless

image.jpg

It’s not a stage name, but our favorite recluse legally changed his name to Frank Ocean from Christopher Edwin Breaux. Love me some Frank and if someone wants to appreciate me for my frontline work this year and sell me Blond(e) at a reasonable price, I will give you free medical care and love you forever (😭😭). Anyways, Endless is underrated and also such a middle finger to Def Jam, at some point, you gotta love it.

Back