January 2021 Challenge Thread - It's All One Song! And One Raffle!

Day 24: “I got the revolution blues” – Play something referencing a crime or historical event.

Sting "The dream of the blue turtles"

I've chosen this for the song "" Children's crusade". In an interview from 1985, Sting said: "'Children's Crusade' is a fairly bitter song. The original children's crusade took place in the 11th century and two monks had the great idea of recruiting children from the streets of Europe and telling them that they were going to be an army to fight for Christ in Palestine, and to fight the Saracens. The intention all along was to sell them as slaves in Africa. And that's what they did; they recruited thousands of children and sold them as slaves. It seemed a very wonderful symbol of cynicism and the perversion of youthful idealism. Having thought about this for awhile, I realized this wasn't the only children's crusade in history - there have been many. So I look for examples. And the examples in the song I used are the first World War, where millions of young men, Germans, French, English, were killed for reasons that even today we don't understand. A whole generation was wiped out in a very foolish and cynical manner. And then I looked around today for an example of a children's crusade and I think the heroin industry is a good example, where businessmen are making vast fortunes by selling drugs to people who can't deal with them. In England for example, it's cheaper to buy heroin than it is to buy marijuana. They're giving heroin away to schoolchildren outside of the school gates, just to get them hooked. This too is a children's crusade, and the same people who sold slaves in the 11th century, and the same people who sent young men to their deaths in the first World War are the same people selling these drugs. The song is really wishing them to hell."

IMG_20210130_230744.jpg

Day 25: “Everybody’s Rockin’, Rockin’ to the dancing beat” – In the late 80’s Neil got sued for making albums that didn’t sound like Neil Young albums. It’s Opposite Day, play something that was a departure for an artist, or something with an unexpected guest appearance.

Gorillaz "The Now Now"

This album is different from other Gorillaz albums like "Plastic beach" or "Humanz" as it features a lot less guest appearances than usually and rather focuses on Damon Albarn. Great album though.

IMG_20210130_233617.jpg

Day 30: The Mynah Birds – Did you know that one of Neil’s early bands, the Mynah Birds, also had Rick James as a member? Play something superfreaky, bring the funk.

Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid

There are roughly 32 other genres in the mix, but funk is definitely a big part of the sound. (I ended up getting this one for free recently because of how beat up the jacket was upon arrival- but the records play flawlessly)

20210130_153739.jpg

Day 30: Bring The Funk.

Searching "funk" on my Discogs collection brings some interesting non-funk things...but this is not one of those - it's funky.

Sly & The Family Stone ‎– Stand!
CBS/Sony ‎– SONP 50099, 1969

Japanese pressing

lOWmj8.jpg

xfhYzw.jpg

Day 29: “Seems like that guy singing this song been doing it for a long time. Is there anything he knows that he ain’t already said?”

Beethoven — Ninth Symphony
(Performed by the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra)

image.jpg

Beethoven’s talent as a composer is always astounding to me, even more when you realize his most famous (& last) work, the 9th Symphony, was composed while he was completely deaf.

Day 29: “Seems like that guy singing this song been doing it for a long time. Is there anything he knows that he ain’t already said?”

Beethoven — Ninth Symphony
(Performed by the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra)

View attachment 86142

Beethoven’s talent as a composer is always astounding to me, even more when you realize his most famous (& last) work, the 9th Symphony, was composed while he was completely deaf.
I've got this exact box set. It's pretty good.

Day 31: “I’m The Ocean, I’m the giant undertow” – Play something with a great guitar riff, or involving the ocean.

A monster riff from a whole record of monster riffs.

The chorus - something we've all asked ourselves at one time or another...

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Ragged Glory

20210130_234343.jpg

It's been a blast, @imtheocean. Great work.

Long live NY.

Last edited:
Day 31: Play something with a great guitar riff, or involving the ocean.

This has some great prog riffs and is about a huge tab of LSD put into the ocean.

Nektar ‎– A Tab In The Ocean
United Artists Records ‎– UAG 29499, 1972

Original UK release

Pressed at The Gramophone Co. Ltd.

IcTtlQ.jpg

YdhrsX.jpg

Day 29: “Seems like that guy singing this song been doing it for a long time. Is there anything he knows that he ain’t already said?” – Play a later career album.

Prince "Lotusflow3r/MPLSound"
This is his 33rd studio album, a double album actually, and was released in 2009. I think it's pretty good.

IMG_20210131_120646.jpg

Back