January 2021 Challenge Thread - It's All One Song! And One Raffle!

February may be the shortest month of the year but it’s long on challenge fun. So as things wind down for January, make sure you check out the fun @Poly-Rythmo has in store for us in next months Thread....

Last edited:
Day 31: “I’m The Ocean, I’m the giant undertow” – Play something with a great guitar riff, or involving the ocean.

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

234EC442-68BB-41A6-952E-473FB46B6C14.jpeg

Tons of great Harrisonesque riffs in this one, but “What Is Life” has always been a favorite of mine.

Day 31 - I'm The Ocean

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

A great guitar riff *and* it's about the Ocean. Some days, The Ocean is my favourite Led Zep song. Written about their fans, with fantastic guitar and a brilliant ending.

20210131_154034.jpg

Thanks so much to @imtheocean for a fabulous month, and see you all tomorrow for February's challenge...

Day 31: “I’m The Ocean, I’m the giant undertow”
Play something with a great guitar riff, or involving the ocean.
The War On Drugs - Live Drugs
84820215-869A-49DE-834B-EED4F3AA4A83.jpeg

Finding an album that references the ocean? Easy. Finding an album with a great guitar riff? Piece of Cake! Finding an album that features both? Now that is where the challenge lies. I think Live Drugs hits the bullseye on both.

Thanks again for putting the January Challenge together @imtheocean , it has been quite an enjoyable journey.

Day 31: “I’m The Ocean, I’m the giant undertow” – Play something with a great guitar riff, or involving the ocean

What a month! Really enjoyed hosting this - some highlights:
  • Getting a deep dive into @Yer Ol' Uncle D 's fantastic Neil collection.
  • Pet posts don't get old. Especially when we get to see them in costume.
  • Using this month as an excuse to pad my Neil collection (picked up Freedom and Roxy: Tonights the Night Live)
  • @Bluecloud777 Introducing me to Kelly Lee Owens ~ Inner Song on unknown legend day. The album has become a regular here.
  • Revolution Blues day and learning about some of the crimes referenced in songs, that was eye opening.
  • The overall breadth and depth of your choices. Love the monthly challenge threads for what they bring out.
Big thanks to @TenderLovingKiller® too, for keeping these challenges rolling monthly! @Poly-Rythmo Looking forward to February!

I'll wait a few days to make the raffle choice, so if you haven't caught up I'll probably pull a name on Wednesday.

Now, on to today's choice. If I had Mirrorball on vinyl, i'd be spinning it today. I'm The Ocean is one of those great Neil songs in that it has a great guitar riff, stream of consciousness lyrics, and even though it's 7 minutes + long, it's over in an instant and I have to play it again. But since I don't, I'll go with another Neil classic that has a fantastic riff played not once, but twice.

With that, the January challenge thread is, for me, Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)

Neil Young & Crazy Horse ~ Rust Never Sleeps

1612112741218.png

Day 31: “I’m The Ocean, I’m the giant undertow”

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

Not many bands these days coming up with riffs like Brent and Bill. Thinking specifically of a couple passages in "The Czar" and "The Last Baron."

PXL_20210131_182913569.jpg

Thanks for running this very original month, @imtheocean! It has definitely inspired me to pick up some of my favourite Neil on vinyl.

Day 31: “I’m The Ocean, I’m the giant undertow” – Play something with a great guitar riff, or involving the ocean.

Foals - What Went Down

Foals are a riff-happy band that also seems to have ocean images on a lot of their album covers. This one also ends with the song "A Knife in the Ocean."

20210131_130025.jpg

Back