January 2021 Challenge Thread - It's All One Song! And One Raffle!

Day 29: “Seems like that guy singing this song been doing it for a long time. Is there anything he knows that he ain’t already said?”

Bill Callahan - Shepherd in a Sheepskin Vest

Stupidly I played my only late-career Dylan album the other day, and as much as I like a lot of artists' late career stuff -- Blackstar, You Want it Darker, Tempest, Le Noise -- I don't actually have any of those on vinyl yet. So I'll go with Bill's 2019 "comeback" album. He's been around as Smog since the early '90s but this was quite a different style for him, even compared to his previous albums released under his own name.

PXL_20210130_152421561.jpg

Day 30: The Mynah Birds – Did you know that one of Neil’s early bands, the Mynah Birds, also had Rick James as a member? Play something superfreaky, bring the funk.

Received this one from 2019 N&G Secret Santa. 😁🎅

Detroit Rising ‎– A Cosmic Jazz Funk Adventure

PXL_20210130_153129960.jpg

Day 20: “Looking for a Leader” – It’s inauguration day in the US. Play something optimistic or that signifies change.

Today I've seen a tweet by Kelly Lee Owens from a few days ago saying "Vespertine is still one of the most beautiful albums ever made." I agree completely. It also has something very deep about it that makes me feel optimistic and gives me energy.

Björk " Vespertine "

IMG_20210130_163955.jpg

Day 22: “Back in the old folky days, the air was magic when we played” – Play something from or inspired by the 60’s

The Stone Roses. They got inspired by the 60s and later inspired other bands, aming them for instance Oasis. Oasis' lead singer Liam Gallagher stated that they were the first band he saw live and that seeing them perform influenced him to become a singer.

IMG_20210130_181721.jpg

Day 30: The Mynah Birds – Did you know that one of Neil’s early bands, the Mynah Birds, also had Rick James as a member? Play something superfreaky, bring the funk

I was born to funk
I was born to funk and roll in the big time, HO!
He was born to funk
He was born to funk and roll in the big time

20210130_124604.jpg20210130_124502.jpg

Day 30: The Mynah Birds – Did you know that one of Neil’s early bands, the Mynah Birds, also had Rick James as a member?
Play something superfreaky, bring the funk.
Lonnie Smith - Funk Reaction
063176E3-F0DD-4D7C-9C9F-66600B234A98.jpeg
The Good Dr. Smith’s first rule of Groove Dynamics: For every Funky Action there is an equal and opposite Funk Reaction.

Back