January 2021 Challenge Thread - It's All One Song! And One Raffle!

Day 28: ARC – Companion release to Weld, it’s 30+ minutes of feedback. Play an album with feedback or noise.

Sleater-Kinney - The Woods

From the first ear-piercing squelch and impossibly crunchy opening riff to the 14-minute jam that closes the album, feedback is everywhere.

20200724_161010_hdr-jpg.58266

Day 28: ARC

Wilco - A Ghost is Born

After the "final" track, "Less Than You Think", there's about 10 minutes of feedback and sound manipulation meant to evoke the migraines Jeff Tweedy has suffered for his entire life but were especially painful while making this album, in the depth of his throes with painkiller addiction.

PXL_20210127_233120386.jpg

Day 28: ARC – Companion release to Weld, it’s 30+ minutes of feedback. Play an album with feedback or noise.

Sleater-Kinney - The Woods

From the first ear-piercing squelch and impossibly crunchy opening riff to the 14-minute jam that closes the album, feedback is everywhere.

20200724_161010_hdr-jpg.58266
Scooped!

Wilco - A Ghost is Born

After the "final" track, "Less Than You Think", there's about 10 minutes of feedback and sound manipulation meant to evoke the migraines Jeff Tweedy has suffered for his entire life but were especially painful while making this album, in the depth of his throes with painkiller addiction.

View attachment 85733
Scooped again!

While I do have a copy of ARC, I decided it wouldn't be fair to subject my family to it. So I went with a good second choice. The tones that Neil brings out in songs like No More, On Broadway, and especially Don't Cry are amazing. Don't Cry in particular is about as heavy in the guitar tone as the subject of the lyrics. Would have loved to have seen this song live.

Neil Young ~ Freedom

1611878605865.png

Wilco - A Ghost is Born

View attachment 85733
Damn, I knew I should have put this on this morning before someone else beat me to it!

My Bloody Valentine - Isn’t Anything
“All I Need”

CAF7A475-CF4B-4F31-90B1-DD884A620A04.jpeg

As I tested this video out, my wife comes running into the room: “You hear that?! Is that the washing machine?! What is that?!”

Day 29: “Seems like that guy singing this song been doing it for a long time. Is there anything he knows that he ain’t already said?” – Play a later career album.

Even though this record was released in 2019, this song could be interpreted as a prophetic prediction of the COVID19 apocalypse and Neil made an updated video to reflect that...

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Colorado

20210129_001240.jpg

Day 29: “Seems like that guy singing this song been doing it for a long time. Is there anything he knows that he ain’t already said?”

24 albums over the span of 50 years. First album in 1970, this one is his latest from 2020...

Swamp Dogg ‎– Sorry You Couldn't Make It

PXL_20210129_142418904.jpg

Day 29 - Seems like that guy singing this song been doing it for a long time. Is there anything he knows that he ain’t already said?

Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros "Streetcore" (2003 Hellcat records; 2012 reissue)

Last studio album, released posthumously following his passing in 2002.

IMG_1262.JPG

Day 29: “Seems like that guy singing this song been doing it for a long time. Is there anything he knows that he ain’t already said?” – Play a later career album.

Aimee Mann - Mental Illness

17D130D5-0CCA-4B01-B970-FD11E98E8426.jpeg

Three decades into her career (now four!) and she still creates something as wonderful as this album.

Chet Baker Trio - Mr. B

Released in 1984, just four years before his death in 1988.

3040EE3F-5831-47F7-9C53-D6B2BAE0214F.jpeg

This is not an album that a young artist could have recorded. The weight of time is evident here.

Lou Reed ~ Magic & Loss

1611941706674.png

Back