January 2021 Challenge Thread - It's All One Song! And One Raffle!

Day 20: “Looking for a Leader” – It’s inauguration day in the US. Play something optimistic or that signifies change.

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Exodus

6362E213-ED56-4FAB-8556-C8A37D586F09.jpeg

I’m feeling somewhat hopeful today, but as @BjorgenFjorgen said, the conditions that got us to where we are currently still exist and I think we have a long way to go. But this is a good first step at least. Anyways, this albums never fails to put me in a good mood and always brings a smile to my face. That’s something I need at the moment.

Day 17: “In Eldorado town there lives a great bullfighter”

Originally known as "Flowers" in Australia, they had to change their name due to the Scottish group "The Flowers"

Icehouse ‎– Icehouse
Chrysalis ‎– CHR 1350, 1981

Columbia Record Club release

Cut at Sterling (side 1) and Columbia Mastering (side 2)
Pressed at Columbia, Santa Maria

IhFcv5.jpg

bPYWkr.jpg

Day 21: “Talkin’ bout the big time” - Play a breakthrough album.

The record that broke Neil to a mainstream audience. 'Heart Of Gold' owned the radio, but my favorite moment is that jarring segue from 'The Needle And The Damage Done' to 'Words'. Two songs that must always be played together. Sublime.

Neil Young - Harvest

20210121_000731.jpg

Last edited:
Day 18: Dead Man – Play something instrumental

Over an hour of alternate versions, instrumental versions, and other unreleased material - spread over 4 LP's

Nine Inch Nails ‎– The Fragile: Deviations 1
Nothing Records ‎– B0026309-01, 2016/2017

Cut by John Golden at Golden Mastering
Pressed at Pallas

SIhB9O.jpg

ekMEpn.jpg

Day 19: “Let’s Impeach the President for Lying”

They aren't as political as Subhumans, but still protesting. Even one track is titled "How to Write Ultimate Protest Songs"

Citizen Fish ‎– Free Souls In A Trapped Environment
Bluurg Records ‎– FISH 24, 1990

Pressed at MPO

o07wcI.jpg

YtvlF1.jpg

Day 20: “Looking for a Leader” – It’s inauguration day in the US. Play something optimistic or that signifies change.

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Exodus

View attachment 84659

I’m feeling somewhat hopeful today, but as @BjorgenFjorgen said, the conditions that got us to where we are currently still exist and I think we have a long way to go. But this is a good first step at least. Anyways, this albums never fails to put me in a good mood and always brings a smile to my face. That’s something I need at the moment.
Great pick, I had this in my hand but then went a different direction for Day 20. (but I spun it anyway!)

Day 21 - Talkin’ bout the big time

The Cars "Heartbeat City" (1984 Elektra; 2018 deluxe reissue)

The Cars had some great records before this (the debut and follow-up are overall better, in my opinion) and had several minor hits, including a top-10 with "Shake it Up" three years prior. But this is the album that broke them through: five top-40 hits, including two top-10's. This was also my first real introduction to them as a 13 year old. These songs were everywhere in 1984.

IMG_1239.JPG

Back