January 2021 Challenge Thread - It's All One Song! And One Raffle!

Day 21: “Talkin’ bout the big time” - Play a breakthrough album.
Day 20: “Looking for a Leader”
It’s inauguration day in the US. Play something optimistic or that signifies change.
Fang Island - Fang Island
View attachment 84714
This is a glass half full kinda album. Optimism in the form of frenetic and joyous guitar shredding.

Related video that I always take any excuse to revisit:

Day 21: “Talkin’ bout the big time”

BD940E4E-0B60-4CC9-B6FF-6C4940784A34.jpeg

sturgill simpson - metamodern sounds in country music

the first time i ever heard sturgill simpson was when he and his band opened the merle haggard/kris kristofferson show here. i knew then i was all in on this guy. picked up the album a few weeks later. lots of other people got this album, too.

Day 20: “Looking for a Leader” – It’s inauguration day in the US. Play something optimistic or that signifies change.

I had a couple other choices, but went with this one.

Jellyfish ‎– Spilt Milk
Omnivore Recordings ‎– OVLP-6, 1993/2012

Cut by John Golden at Golden Mastering
Pressed at RTI

1VbtAf.jpg

P2nrlR.jpg

Day 21: “Talkin’ bout the big time” - Play a breakthrough album.

Badmotorfinger was my main introduction to Soundgarden and I played the hell out of it - but this album was their bigger mainstream breakthrough. (The track "Heretic" on the 1990 Pump Up The Volume soundtrack was my first time hearing them)

Soundgarden ‎– Superunknown
A&M Records ‎– B0020476-01, 1994/2014

20th Anniversary edition

Cut by Ron McMaster
Pressed at Quality Record Pressings

VfPWii.jpg

h8N27k.jpg

Last edited:
Day 22: “Back in the old folky days, the air was magic when we played” – Play something from or inspired by the 60’s.

Could've gone Buffalo Springfield here, but that's too easy. I not only committed to sticking to NY all month, but also eschewing the low hanging fruit and digging a little deeper when the theme allowed. And what could be deeper than what's pretty much considered Neil's worst album.

Let's put it in context - a "bad" Neil record is likely more ambitious than most anything else released at the same time. And while Landing On Water isn't going to show up on a Neil 'Best Of' list, it's got some good songs.

'Hippie Dream' is one of those songs. While this is more of a mechanical record - Danny Kortchmar's production tends to lean toward layered synths, drums up front, guitars in the back - the subject matter of this one's firmly entrenched in 60's origins. This song is an open letter to David Crosby as he made his descent into addiction.

Neil Young - Landing On Water

20210121_235653.jpg

Bonus pic that has nothing to do with this particular post but just because everyone deserves to see this...

Screenshot_20210121-223016_Messages.jpg

Last edited:
Day 22: “Back in the old folky days, the air was magic when we played” – Play something from or inspired by the 60’s.

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

When I think of the 60’s, the first artist I usually think of is Bob Dylan. This is my favorite Dylan record, and it just may be my favorite of the entire decade.

16E0F99B-96CE-4244-8493-21DA8AAD136B.jpeg

I went with the "inspired by the 60's" for this one...

Between this and the mini-album "25 O'Clock" - XTC created a "mystery band" concept that outsold the XTC albums they released around the same time in the UK.

The Dukes Of Stratosphear ‎– Psonic Psunspot
Virgin ‎– VP2440, 1987

UK pressing
Purple/Grey colored vinyl

Pressed at MPO

ZlkpbE.jpg

IF50jA.jpg

One of the things that appeals to me about Neil is that there always seems to be a point in my life where I connect with a specific album of his. May be something I've heard a hundred times, but all of a sudden my life hits a point where I'm like - "Oh, now I get it". (Although I still haven't hit that point for Landing on Water yet).

This album came out shortly before my son was born, and I have strong memories of being up late at night listening to this or watching the corresponding DVD when he'd wake up in the middle of the night. Razor Love in particular brings me right back to those days.

As far as the 60's connection, it's got Neil reminiscing on Buffalo Springfield Again and there is an overall intimacy to the album that ties back to the folk music of the late 60s.

Fun bonus fact I learned today - the cover album is from a picture taken on the Game Boy Camera.

Neil Young ~ Silver & Gold
1611337692743.png

Back