January 2021 Challenge Thread - It's All One Song! And One Raffle!

Day 22: “Back in the old folky days, the air was magic when we played”
Play something from or inspired by the 60’s.
The Rolling Stones - Between The Buttons (1967)
76D1F23E-D19F-40C4-A745-1952AA1AE50D.jpeg

Not that I need a reason to spin a Stones album but this one was a gift from my SO for Christmas and I had not gotten around to spinning it yet. She did a great job too, as you might suspect can be a bit overwhelming to purchase records for my dumb ass. This 2003 reissue was pressed at Pallas and while I am fairly certain it was sourced digitally it sounds wonderful.

Day 21: “Talkin’ bout the big time” - Play a breakthrough album.

Iron Maiden with Paul Di‘Anno was really good. Then Bruce Dickinson joined and helped take them over the top to become a great band. Their third album, and Bruce’s debut, is what put them on a larger map.

20210122_165807.jpg

Day 22: “Back in the old folky days, the air was magic when we played” – Play something from or inspired by the 60’s.

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle (and a bit more)

I have this album on a picture disc, so I'm gonna go with the better-sounding copy I have and play this CD from the Zombie Heaven box set (complete with a ton of great B-sides and outtakes)

original_ff7f97db-34b1-489d-ae0e-46cdbdd1be82_20210122_142047.jpg

Day 23: “With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run” – Play something about cars.

I hate fast cars.

Buzzcocks ‎– Another Music In A Different Kitchen
Fame ‎– FA 3199, 1978/1988

UK reissue

Cut by Nick Webb

VLgRqb.jpg

wT5vfc.jpg

Day 21: “Talkin’ bout the big time” - Play a breakthrough album.

The Flaming Lips - Transmissions from the Satellite Hea

C2318D0B-1575-4418-86C0-E60F5FB995F4.jpeg

It’s crazy to think that they had five albums before this one. “She Don’t Use Jelly” was their first big hit. I used to dupe friends into joining BMG music club and I’d get free CDs for doing so, and I was always taking chances on albums with only hearing one song, but this one is pretty good all the way through.

Day 23: “With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run”
Play something about cars.
The Beach Boys - Surfin’ Safari
2B8F1996-36CF-4659-B5DD-89912EC2BFCD.jpeg
The Beach Boys popularized California 1960’s car culture. So it seemed like an appropriate fit.

Per Wikipedia:
"409" was inspired by Gary Usher's obsession with hot rods Its title refers to an automobile fitted with Chevrolet’s 409-cubic-inch-displacement “big block” V8 engine. The song's narrator concludes with the description "My four speed, dual-quad, positraction four-oh-nine." This version of the engine - at 409 Ho, achieving 1 hp per cubic inch - featured twin "D" series Carter AFB (Aluminum Four Barrel) carburetors ("dual-quads"). It was offered in new vehicles (Impala SS ["Super Sport"]; Bel Air; Biscayne) and as replacement units in the 1962 model year.

Day 23: “With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run”

Queen - A Night at the Opera

"When I'm holding your wheel
All I hear is your gear
When I'm cruising in overdrive
Don't have to listen to no run-of-the-mill talk jive

I'm in love with my car,
Got a feel for my automobile
I'm in love with my car,
String back gloves in my automotive!"

PXL_20210123_183523554.jpg

Back