It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

I meant they should have been 6 or 7 clear. They battered you in that first half, it was comically one sided. Either slide could have won it in the second half, they were better on the ball but you looked dangerous in the break which you didn’t, goal aside, in the first half.

6 or 7 clear???? LMAO 😂

just because you have 78% possession doesn’t meant squat if you don’t do anything with it. Maybe Liverpool’s finishing could have been better but Mane and Salah had countless shots on goal straight at Lloris. On a different day they go left or right and they score. But Spurs defense prevented wider angles. It doesn’t look exciting or pretty to watch but if Salah’s deflection goes over it’s a completely different game.

The back to back Bergwijn and Kane chances were massive. Those go in it’s 2 or 3-1 and game over. Spurs had a higher xG if you want to give credence to that metric which I’m a little skeptical of.

97A1173E-90BE-470F-9478-5CB810289DA4.jpeg

6 or 7 clear???? LMAO 😂

just because you have 78% possession doesn’t meant squat if you don’t do anything with it. Maybe Liverpool’s finishing could have been better but Mane and Salah had countless shots on goal straight at Lloris. On a different day they go left or right and they score. But Spurs defense prevented wider angles. It doesn’t look exciting or pretty to watch but if Salah’s deflection goes over it’s a completely different game.

The back to back Bergwijn and Kane chances were massive. Those go in it’s 2 or 3-1 and game over. Spurs had a higher xG if you want to give credence to that metric which I’m a little skeptical of.

You’re becoming a true mourinho disciple my son. I could never quite get my head around it. That said he made it evidently clear that he’d rather be anywhere but in Manchester during that time, anyway I digress.

Liverpool had more than possession in the first half, they had you pinned in. The goal felt like your only really excursion out of your own defensive third. The second half was much more even, Liverpool with the possession and pressure but you were less pinned back and more able to break.

I hate all stats, they’re horrid, the lot of them, but xG is the biggest turd of the lot of them.

You’re becoming a true mourinho disciple my son. I could never quite get my head around it. That said he made it evidently clear that he’d rather be anywhere but in Manchester during that time, anyway I digress.

Liverpool had more than possession in the first half, they had you pinned in. The goal felt like your only really excursion out of your own defensive third. The second half was much more even, Liverpool with the possession and pressure but you were less pinned back and more able to break.

I hate all stats, they’re horrid, the lot of them, but xG is the biggest turd of the lot of them.
That’s how we’re able to play against the bigger teams who are on the front foot constantly. We don’t have the personnel in other positions to play higher pressure attacking football so we sit deep. We also run considerably less than we do with Pochettino who used to run our players ragged. With this busy schedule this year it’s a way to prevent injuries with the fixture pile up. Is it a pretty way to play? No. Is it a viable alternative to teams who want 70% of the ball and press like crazy? Yes. Spurs have the best Defense in the league (I think tied with City now) so it’s working for us. I have to remember that you’re a Man United fan so Mourinho is always going to be a little salty for you. That’s fine. But I vehemently disagree that it should have been 6 or 7 goals for Liverpool in that first half.

That’s how we’re able to play against the bigger teams who are on the front foot constantly. We don’t have the personnel in other positions to play higher pressure attacking football so we sit deep. We also run considerably less than we do with Pochettino who used to run our players ragged. With this busy schedule this year it’s a way to prevent injuries with the fixture pile up. Is it a pretty way to play? No. Is it a viable alternative to teams who want 70% of the ball and press like crazy? Yes. Spurs have the best Defense in the league (I think tied with City now) so it’s working for us. I have to remember that you’re a Man United fan so Mourinho is always going to be a little salty for you. That’s fine. But I vehemently disagree that it should have been 6 or 7 goals for Liverpool in that first half.

I mean in reality no team is going to be 6 or 7 clear at half time. It doesn’t happen outside under 10s. When you say that it’s exaggerating to make a point. It was constant pressure and it looked like they were going to put you to bed and have the game won until Son equalised massively against the run of play.

The second half was more where I agree with you, it was on a knife edge with them having more of the play but you having a real cutting edge on the break.

I think you’re being incredibly harsh on Poch. I think what you’re seeing is Mourinho reaping the benefit of the significant investment needed to remodel a team coming to the end of its cycle. Poch was crying out for that investment for at least 2 years and was an absolute miracle worker in his time at Spurs, I’d still take him above any other manager that we could realistically get, at the drop of a hat.

Also for a little bit of perspective, Mourinho is salty but you were playing Liverpool, there ain’t enough salt in the sea for them!

Klopp may be doing the best managing of his Liverpool career with all the injuries. We're also seeing some encouraging development from the youth of this squad. Curtis Jones is looking phenomenal. The Williamses are filling in quite nicely. I was nervous we wouldn't get a result today and feared we'd have to get into a shootout with Kane and Son. Always nice to get a win on Mou.

Also for a little bit of perspective, Mourinho is salty but you were playing Liverpool, there ain’t enough salt in the sea for them!
I didn’t mind Liverpool running away with the league last season. They were so far away it was whatever at that point. But now it’s a tight race I’m starting to turn on Liverpool a little bit.

Klopp moaning about the scheduling and player rest when his full starting 11 was there bar two CBs. Fabinho would be in that midfield in place of Jones, who by the way is a very good player so that’s barely a negative change. Mourinho made this point earlier and I don’t mean to drag him back in but he’s right. Liverpool and Klopp can complain but when most of their squad is fit and they’re still winning games. Just give it a rest. If they were in Arsenal’s position then by all means, complain away. The arrogance of Liverpool and their supporters is just a lot.

Klopp may be doing the best managing of his Liverpool career with all the injuries. We're also seeing some encouraging development from the youth of this squad. Curtis Jones is looking phenomenal. The Williamses are filling in quite nicely. I was nervous we wouldn't get a result today and feared we'd have to get into a shootout with Kane and Son. Always nice to get a win on Mou.
They just always find a way. And Jones looks to be an immanent first team player/replacement for Wijnaldum whenever he goes. I was extremely impressed with him today.

I didn’t mind Liverpool running away with the league last season. They were so far away it was whatever at that point. But now it’s a tight race I’m starting to turn on Liverpool a little bit.

Klopp moaning about the scheduling and player rest when his full starting 11 was there bar two CBs. Fabinho would be in that midfield in place of Jones, who by the way is a very good player so that’s barely a negative change. Mourinho made this point earlier and I don’t mean to drag him back in but he’s right. Liverpool and Klopp can complain but when most of their squad is fit and they’re still winning games. Just give it a rest. If they were in Arsenal’s position then by all means, complain away. The arrogance of Liverpool and their supporters is just a lot.

They just always find a way. And Jones looks to be an immanent first team player/replacement for Wijnaldum whenever he goes. I was extremely impressed with him today.

Its mind games. Fergie used to do the same thing all the time. The headline the next day reads “Klopp rants about congestion” or “Klopp laments Liverpool injury crisis” and diverts from dropped points at Brighton or Fulham. It takes the focus off his player in public. You can bet your bottom dollar that behind closed doors injuries are not allowed to be an excuse, if you’re at a big club you’re always expected to be a winner or you’re soon gone. He went too far after Brighton though attacking the tv channel and appeared a little clueless when challenged on it.

Mourinho knows this too and has used the same tactic himself when he’s been the top dog. Now he isn’t he’s using the opposite tactic to pile pressure back on Liverpool as the favourites. The truth is that Klopp is over exaggerating and knows he is for the reasons I said above. Mourinho also knows that Liverpool’s injuries are more serious that he was making out. The truth, as always with football managers, lies somewhere in the middle.

PS: If we win tomorrow a team that can’t score at home is 2 points off yous and 5 points off the top with a game in hand. I don’t have a clue what is going on this season!

Last edited:
Its mind games. Fergie used to do the same thing all the time. The headline the next day reads “Klopp rants about congestion” or “Klopp laments Liverpool injury crisis” and diverts from dropped points at Brighton or Fulham. It takes the focus off his player in public. You can bet your bottom dollar that behind closed doors injuries are not allowed to be an excuse, if you’re at a big club you’re always expected to be a winner or you’re soon gone. He went too far after Brighton though attacking the tv channel and appeared a little clueless when challenged on it.

Mourinho knows this too and has used the same tactic himself when he’s been the top dog. Now he isn’t he’s using the opposite tactic to pile pressure back on Liverpool as the favourites. The truth is that Klopp is over exaggerating and knows he is for the reasons I said above. Mourinho also knows that Liverpool’s injuries are more serious that he was making out. The truth, as always with football managers, lies somewhere in the middle.

PS: If we win tomorrow a team that can’t score at home is 2 points off yous and 5 points off the top with a game in hand. I don’t have a clue what is going on this season!
Yeah it’s absolutely wide open. I’m fine with losing versus Liverpool because they’re a very good team, especially at home. I was actually more annoyed that we drew vs. Palace when Liverpool also drew with Fulham. Capitalizing on other’s misfortune. That’s what wins championships. We haven’t been able to do that many time’s this year. But it’s still a long way to go.

Yeah it’s absolutely wide open. I’m fine with losing versus Liverpool because they’re a very good team, especially at home. I was actually more annoyed that we drew vs. Palace when Liverpool also drew with Fulham. Capitalizing on other’s misfortune. That’s what wins championships. We haven’t been able to do that many time’s this year. But it’s still a long way to go.

Honestly, and heaven knows that I hope I’m wrong, but I think Liverpool will still win it at a canter barring any more serious injuries. They have weaknesses now that they didn’t due to their situation with injuries in the centre of defence, but they have that hunger, drive and relentlessness still, I don’t see that in any of the challengers, that’s not to say that they won’t discover it later on in the year if it’s still this close.

Great statement from Megan Rapinoe about being selected for the FIFA Best Women's XI even though she last played a professional match in March

Reactions: mgp
That games was insane! Leeds are lunatics! We won at home!

Yeah that was amazing entertainment. I always feel like the reason we do so poorly at Old Trafford is that teams have a bit more sense than to set up the way Leeds did against us today. Also the reason we're so good away when the home teams tend to play on the front foot.

Next 2 league games against Leicester and Wolves. Playing every 3 days over the next 10 days so I'm not expecting too much but it would be great going into that Liverpool match mid January with a strong run of results behind us.

Any Atlanta United fans in the house?
You lucky people (season ticket holders) get free access to RedTV to watch the Dandy Dons.

I have to mention the cool moves of a potential USL club,

There's a serious effort to bring a USL team to Portland Maine.

Even though the club isn't there yet; they have been making super cool moves. They released a capsule collection last week, Limited pieces. They worked with local companies to design/produce, with some of the profits going to local charities.

I bought some pieces, they shipped yesterday AND arrived today. Awesome custom packaging that is compostable and the items look great!
IMG_0989.jpeg

Attachments

• tempImagefJZ4Z6.png
    tempImagefJZ4Z6.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

Even though the club isn't there yet; they have been making super cool moves. They released a capsule collection last week, Limited pieces. They worked with local companies to design/produce, with some of the profits going to local charities.

I bought some pieces, they shipped yesterday AND arrived today. Awesome custom packaging that is compostable and the items look great!

that looks sick!!

View attachment 81278

This is cool, and that’s a good name for the club. I recently have gotten some non-licensed Galaxy gear. A hat from Talisman and a shirt for a local graphics guy called Counter Cult

Back