It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

GGMU and/or Chelsea are really shit

It was much closer than the score line suggested. We were more ruthless in front of goal and our back four (weird after last year) looked solid. Chelsea had chances.

Definite positives but united aren’t there yet. Chelsea had chinks of light in there and when they get the more experienced players like Willian, Kante and particularly Rudiger (Zouma was shocking) back they’ll be there or there abouts in the group after City and Liverpool

It was much closer than the score line suggested. We were more ruthless in front of goal and our back four (weird after last year) looked solid. Chelsea had chances.

Definite positives but united aren’t there yet. Chelsea had chinks of light in there and when they get the more experienced players like Willian, Kante and particularly Rudiger (Zouma was shocking) back they’ll be there or there abouts in the group after City and Liverpool
I didn’t watch the game so that’s good to hear. I think I’ve said it before somewhere here but because I got into EPL post-Fergie so I don’t actually dislike United and also fuck Chelsea. If I was betting I’d probably have picked Chelsea because they always find a way. I also have AWB in my FPL team and no Chelsea players so I’m happy.

I didn’t watch the game so that’s good to hear. I think I’ve said it before somewhere here but because I got into EPL post-Fergie so I don’t actually dislike United and also fuck Chelsea. If I was betting I’d probably have picked Chelsea because they always find a way. I also have AWB in my FPL team and no Chelsea players so I’m happy.

You missed 20 wonderful years! Hahahahaha!

I’m going to sound lame, but I think Chelsea played well. We were just super susceptible on the counter and ManU buried every chance they got.

I think there will be growing pains, but I think we will get a lot better as we learn Lampard’s system.

I’m going to sound lame, but I think Chelsea played well. We were just super susceptible on the counter and ManU buried every chance they got.

I think there will be growing pains, but I think we will get a lot better as we learn Lampard’s system.

For 55/60 minutes yeah, after that no. I think adding more experience to that team will be massive but you can’t get away from the fact that without Hazard you just don’t have the same cutting edge.

It's difficult to dislike Lampard - similar to Ole in that regard - but I'm sure he will eventually be asked some difficult questions if he doesn't sort out the disaster that is Zouma + Christiansen at the back, especially since he's the reason why Luiz was pushed out. Say what you want about David Luiz, I doubt he would have given away that penalty and it might have been a different game because as @Joe Mac says for the first half we were fairly balanced, more so to do with the fact that we had some nervousness I'm sure.

I really enjoyed that game, Maguire and AWB add so much quality. Not saying that they're the best defenders in the world but compared to what we worked with last season, this was an absolute delight (without De Ligt, haha:rolleyes:). Last year's player of the year, Luke Shaw was our worst defender and he wasn't even that bad yesterday. Excellent work my Scott McTominay as well.

What I worry about as a United fan is our depth, and the lack of quality, if the likes of Pogba, Maguire, Lindelöf, Rashford, Martial pick up long term injuries I really think we're in trouble. Nevertheless beating Chelsea 4-0 at home is an excellent start and a great feeling. Old Trafford seemed to be absolutely bouncing, which I haven't seen in ages. I was quickly reminded of that season where Ronaldo made his debut and we beat Bolton 4-0 - was a nice bit of optimism after some torrid years.

I think we'll have a decent season, maybe end up finishing 5th but hopefully a good run in the EL and Cups will perhaps bring a trophy.

Grabbed the premier league matchday pass from NBC so that I can watch all of the EPL games. Got up early each day, had my coffee, wake-n-baked, and watched all the games! Was a wonderful opening weekend!
Do you have multiple screens or do you just pick a game?

I was contemplating getting Gold again but I was automatically charged for another year without knowing a few weeks back. I think it’s worth it because I’d much rather watch Everton vs. Leicester than City demolish Sheffield Utd as the only match on NBCSN

Do you have multiple screens or do you just pick a game?

I was contemplating getting Gold again but I was automatically charged for another year without knowing a few weeks back. I think it’s worth it because I’d much rather watch Everton vs. Leicester than City demolish Sheffield Utd as the only match on NBCSN

Ya, I was doing a little bit of having one game on my TV and one on my computer/phone, but they have this thing called Goal Zone (when there was like 4 games on at once on saturday), that was playing the CP vs Everton game and then anytime anything major happened in the other games, it would picture-in-picture the other game and show you what was going on. I thought that was pretty cool and worth it to have.

Ya, I was doing a little bit of having one game on my TV and one on my computer/phone, but they have this thing called Goal Zone (when there was like 4 games on at once on saturday), that was playing the CP vs Everton game and then anytime anything major happened in the other games, it would picture-in-picture the other game and show you what was going on. I thought that was pretty cool and worth it to have.
oh dang I've never used that before. is that through the NBC Sports app?

For 55/60 minutes yeah, after that no. I think adding more experience to that team will be massive but you can’t get away from the fact that without Hazard you just don’t have the same cutting edge.
No, I agree. After the second goal we fell apart. Honestly, we lost any threat we had when Barkley was taken off which is really strange.

This result would have happened with or without Hazard. There is only so much a player of his caliber is capable of and we had far too many individual errors in the final third, whether it was poor decision making by our kids, or by selfishness from Pedro and failure to see other players runs.

Our defense is another issue, but our attack just needs to adapt and learn everyone’s positioning and I think we will thrive. We were super off and made your defense look better than I think it deserved to look honestly. With that being said Wan Bissaka (spell check sorry) is the real deal.

It's difficult to dislike Lampard - similar to Ole in that regard - but I'm sure he will eventually be asked some difficult questions if he doesn't sort out the disaster that is Zouma + Christiansen at the back, especially since he's the reason why Luiz was pushed out. Say what you want about David Luiz, I doubt he would have given away that penalty and it might have been a different game because as @Joe Mac says for the first half we were fairly balanced, more so to do with the fact that we had some nervousness I'm sure.

I really enjoyed that game, Maguire and AWB add so much quality. Not saying that they're the best defenders in the world but compared to what we worked with last season, this was an absolute delight (without De Ligt, haha:rolleyes:). Last year's player of the year, Luke Shaw was our worst defender and he wasn't even that bad yesterday. Excellent work my Scott McTominay as well.

What I worry about as a United fan is our depth, and the lack of quality, if the likes of Pogba, Maguire, Lindelöf, Rashford, Martial pick up long term injuries I really think we're in trouble. Nevertheless beating Chelsea 4-0 at home is an excellent start and a great feeling. Old Trafford seemed to be absolutely bouncing, which I haven't seen in ages. I was quickly reminded of that season where Ronaldo made his debut and we beat Bolton 4-0 - was a nice bit of optimism after some torrid years.

I think we'll have a decent season, maybe end up finishing 5th but hopefully a good run in the EL and Cups will perhaps bring a trophy.
I think Lampard knows that the first couple of games is going to be rough so he is using that to experiment a little more. Rudiger has his spot locked when he is back, but the second CB position is up for grabs. And I don’t think he’s wrong to have told Luiz he won’t be guaranteed first choice. He didn’t force Luiz to leave, he just said he would have to earn it.

With how high a line we seem to want to play, Luiz is just way too much of a liability. He has quality, and his distribution could probably have helped relieve some pressure yesterday, but he isn’t solid enough and has too many errors defensively. Plus how would Lamps know Zouma would have such a horrible game? I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Tomori step up and pair with Christensen until Rudiger is back.

I hadn't watch the English Premiere League in ages but since I put together AFC Monster Island for the fantasy league, and Serie A hasn't started yet, I watched a game each day on NBC Sports since I already get that channel via satellite. Watched Liverpool/Narritch on Friday, Bournemouth/Sheffield United on Saturday, then ManU/CFC on Sunday to watch Pulisic play (eventually). Love the camera angles in smaller stadiums like Bournemouth's. If I watch more this season, I'll probably follow Sheffield United; when I've watched in the past I usually pick a newly-promoted club to pay attention to, to see if they stay up.

To be interested in a non-local club there has to be a connection for me, and there's no connection for me with any of the PL clubs. My interest in Fiorentina is from having spent a month there and really loving that city, so that's the club I watch (via ESPN+). I have a connection there.

No, I agree. After the second goal we fell apart. Honestly, we lost any threat we had when Barkley was taken off which is really strange.

This result would have happened with or without Hazard. There is only so much a player of his caliber is capable of and we had far too many individual errors in the final third, whether it was poor decision making by our kids, or by selfishness from Pedro and failure to see other players runs.

Our defense is another issue, but our attack just needs to adapt and learn everyone’s positioning and I think we will thrive. We were super off and made your defense look better than I think it deserved to look honestly. With that being said Wan Bissaka (spell check sorry) is the real deal.

I disagree. With a cutting edge in your team we wouldn’t have got away with figuring out that you were incapable of playing through us if we sat deep. This opened up the counter which suited our pace. Players like Hazard are capable of breaking that low block.

I hadn't watch the English Premiere League in ages but since I put together AFC Monster Island for the fantasy league, and Serie A hasn't started yet, I watched a game each day on NBC Sports since I already get that channel via satellite. Watched Liverpool/Narritch on Friday, Bournemouth/Sheffield United on Saturday, then ManU/CFC on Sunday to watch Pulisic play (eventually). Love the camera angles in smaller stadiums like Bournemouth's. If I watch more this season, I'll probably follow Sheffield United; when I've watched in the past I usually pick a newly-promoted club to pay attention to, to see if they stay up.

To be interested in a non-local club there has to be a connection for me, and there's no connection for me with any of the PL clubs. My interest in Fiorentina is from having spent a month there and really loving that city, so that's the club I watch (via ESPN+). I have a connection there.
That’s a good team to pick, I think. I also watched them against Bournemouth and they looked decent. Much better than Norwich and Aston Villa. I wouldn’t be surprised if they stay up.

And I don’t think he’s wrong to have told Luiz he won’t be guaranteed first choice. He didn’t force Luiz to leave, he just said he would have to earn it.

Those two have history from when they played together and Lamps called him out. I don't think they see eye to eye.

Either way I think it's poorly handled - i don't quite get the logic of shipping out one of your better defenders when they're on a long term contract, your on a transfer ban and to a direct rival!

I disagree. With a cutting edge in your team we wouldn’t have got away with figuring out that you were incapable of playing through us if we sat deep. This opened up the counter which suited our pace. Players like Hazard are capable of breaking that low block.

I reckon the game would have also been different if Kante was playing. He adds an extra dimension when he's playing.

Back