It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

But he's not alone in reporting that the 12 clubs signed a binding document ghat has financial penalties in the case of opting out. We'll see if there is a legal follow up.

I think the penalties will end up being much smaller than Perez is grandstanding about. That may have been the original contract but I think the refusal of UEFA/FIFA to sanction may be argued to have frustrated the contract. The resignation of 3/4 of the participants may make it harder to enforce equally as opposed to if it was just one or two.

It still boggles my mind that the English clubs got involved, I agree with Wenger that the other big leagues dream of smashing the Premier League to bits and that this was a part of the motivation. it’s just been far too successful.

Also if that was a red card last night then I don’t think we’re playing football anymore. It’s not even a foul. He was sent off for kicking a football 🙄

When you combine that with the night before a penalty that wasn’t a penalty only being overturned by an offside that’s was so marginal as to be inconclusive you really begin to wonder if it’s refereeing, rather than a Super League, that’s the biggest danger to football.

Last edited:
Also if that was a red card last night then I don’t think we’re playing football anymore. It’s not even a foul. He was sent off for kicking a football 🙄

When you combine that with the night before a penalty that wasn’t a penalty only being overturned by an offside that’s was so marginal as to be inconclusive you really begin to wonder if it’s refereeing, rather than a Super League, that’s the biggest danger to football.
I just watched the video of the Balbuena red card, and that is absolute rubbish. Never, ever, ever even a foul. A grotesque decision.

I just watched the video of the Balbuena red card, and that is absolute rubbish. Never, ever, ever even a foul. A grotesque decision.

It’s one of those that if a referee makes it a full speed you’re calling for him to be dropped, but two with multiple video replays it’s just beyond belief.

I think the penalties will end up being much smaller than Perez is grandstanding about. That may have been the original contract but I think the refusal of UEFA/FIFA to sanction may be argued to have frustrated the contract. The resignation of 3/4 of the participants may make it harder to enforce equally as opposed to if it was just one or two.

It still boggles my mind that the English clubs got involved, I agree with Wenger that the other big leagues dream of smashing the Premier League to bits and that this was a part of the motivation. it’s just been far too successful.
One of the Kronke boys went on an Arsenal fan Q&A during the week and the question of fines was asked. The fan stated it was going to be $8m and Kronke didn't correct him. Said they were going to pay it rather than the club.

One of the Kronke boys went on an Arsenal fan Q&A during the week and the question of fines was asked. The fan stated it was going to be $8m and Kronke didn't correct him. Said they were going to pay it rather than the club.

That seems more realistic of an amount. It wouldn’t surprise me if there was a concerted attempt to drive it down further. At the end of the day they deserve any fines they get but the idea of that going to the remainders Madrid/Juve/Barca rather than the governing bodies isn’t exactly what you’d want to be seeing happening.

That seems more realistic of an amount. It wouldn’t surprise me if there was a concerted attempt to drive it down further. At the end of the day they deserve any fines they get but the idea of that going to the remainders Madrid/Juve/Barca rather than the governing bodies isn’t exactly what you’d want to be seeing happening.
That's true. It would just be great fun to see the 12 getting in an endless fight over contracts

I don't really want to talk about the Scottish Cup because our performance yesterday was pathetic but the Rangers St. Johnstone game seemed like a roller coaster. The game went to extra time when the 90 minutes ended 0-0. Rangers scored with 2 minutes remaining and just when it looked like they were going to progress to the semi finals, the big St. Johnstone keeper comes up for a corner in the last minute, wins the header and it's knocked in on the line. The game goes to pens and the St. Johnstone keeper saves 2 for them to progress.

Get that one up ye, Slippy G!

I don't really want to talk about the Scottish Cup because our performance yesterday was pathetic but the Rangers St. Johnstone game seemed like a roller coaster. The game went to extra time when the 90 minutes ended 0-0. Rangers scored with 2 minutes remaining and just when it looked like they were going to progress to the semi finals, the big St. Johnstone keeper comes up for a corner in the last minute, wins the header and it's knocked in on the line. The game goes to pens and the St. Johnstone keeper saves 2 for them to progress.

Get that one up ye, Slippy G!
Glad I missed our game. Always good to see one Of the Old Firm getting knocked off their perch - the Rotten Mob were starting to get a bit too smug.

Wow! That yet again isn’t even a foul, never mind a yellow or the red that was given. And yet again two referees, one with the aid of multiple video angles, fuck it up and this time so early that the game is ruined. The standard of refereeing in the premier league is so bad that it’s beyond disbelief.

That said it’s not just the premier league. The standard of refereeing in both matches in the Europa league last night was shockingly bad too!

That said it’s not just the premier league. The standard of refereeing in both matches in the Europa league last night was shockingly bad too!
I’m not sure that it’s necessarily the standard of refereeing has gone down, more that the directives The referees have been given make no damn sense.
Common sense has gone out the window in many aspects of the world with the advent of technology and now everything is becoming black or white with no shades of grey. Football is a victim of this and unfortunately I don’t see it changing. It’s becoming a non contact sport ☹️

I’m not sure that it’s necessarily the standard of refereeing has gone down, more that the directives The referees have been given make no damn sense.
Common sense has gone out the window in many aspects of the world with the advent of technology and now everything is becoming black or white with no shades of grey. Football is a victim of this and unfortunately I don’t see it changing. It’s becoming a non contact sport ☹️

I dunno. With handball I agree, the law is utterly bonkers. As is the insanely over precise offside interpretation.

But sending a player off for kicking a football last last week and this week is just utterly appalling refereeing. There is no directive on that. If you inadvertently catch a charging player after you’ve played it or a charging player goes over your leg after you’ve played it how can it ever be even a foul, nevermind a red card?

I dunno. With handball I agree, the law is utterly bonkers.

But sending a player off for kicking a football last last week and this week is just utterly appalling refereeing. There is no directive on that. If you inadvertently catch a charging player after you’ve played it or a charging player goes over your leg after you’ve played it how can it ever be even a foul, nevermind a red card?
My point is, is that there ‘has’ to be a directive because why else are these shocking decisions being given so regularly. There can’t be this many incompetent refs. Problem is, we as the consumers, are never told of these tweaks in the rules that seem to be ongoing. ‘The game has gone’.
I’ll still watch tho dammit!

My point is, is that there ‘has’ to be a directive because why else are these shocking decisions being given so regularly. There can’t be this many incompetent refs. Problem is, we as the consumers, are never told of these tweaks in the rules that seem to be ongoing. ‘The game has gone’.
I’ll still watch to dammit!

Yeah I’m not sure I agree. To me it’s referees without a feel for the game making decisions of moments rather than events.

For example last week the centre half clears the ball and his follow through means his studs catch a charging player of the leg. You an I know that you can’t clear a ball the length of the pitch without a follow through and that if you slide to block it’s your risk and you’re responsible for the contact. The VAR referee only focused on the studs hitting the charging players leg which is a nonsense. Had they focused on the clearance and the slide and then the contact it’s not even a free kick.

Tonight big defender takes a bad touch. Vardy sees this charges. Big defender gets his toe to it and pokes it back to keeper. Vardy arrived a fraction late and goes over the leg. Again the focus is only on Vardy going over the leg. That’s a risk you take if you close down. Once the defender gets there first and doesn’t go through him how is it even a foul.

What I’m seeing watching games isn’t just bad directives and odd VAR calls but also a standard of referee that doesn’t seem to be able to judge the flow of a football match. I’ve never seen refereeing of as poor a standard as over the last season. I’m not letting them hide behind directives, even if some of them have been odd.

Back