Incoming! The New Equipment Thread

This is all extra entertaining if you read Middle Earth's messages in the thundering voice of Sauron and imagine him being concerned about his speaker delivery packaging. I mean, being a giant omnipotent eyeball is hard work, the supreme eyeball needs some down time with his favorite music like the rest of us...

This is all extra entertaining if you read Middle Earth's messages in the thundering voice of Sauron and imagine him being concerned about his speaker delivery packaging. I mean, being a giant omnipotent eyeball is hard work, the supreme eyeball needs some down time with his favorite music like the rest of us...
Clamavi De Profundis shall ring!

I think that was @Dylanfan253. They did eventually get him fixed up.
That is accurate, my situation was a little unusual but ultimately I received damaged goods, waited too long to contact them (my fault), however ultimately how long I waited wasn’t really a factor as they never mentioned it however it was “my fault” that I accepted the package even though I purchased through a dealer whom took receipt of said shipment. Ultimately I paid about 250 usd shipping them back and forth. I just wonder if their cs is the same whether you bought a pair of speakers they lost money on (LRS) or purchase one of their flagship pairs I can’t imagine dropping five figures in speakers and receiving the same treatment and not being taken a back.

Newish in the most stretched possible way.
Guy took my offer and here it comes.
I feel like this is the audiophile version of adjusting a carburetor.
I'll figure it out after I blow something up.

View attachment 195816View attachment 195817
I saw a brand new tube tester online the other day and damn near dropped my beer.

I have an old one in the garage from my dad’s days as a repair tech, but I just didn’t know anyone was making them anymore. I should have known better.

I saw a brand new tube tester online the other day and damn near dropped my beer.

I have an old one in the garage from my dad’s days as a repair tech, but I just didn’t know anyone was making them anymore. I should have known better.

Sheesh this tube market is pretty big I guess so I'm sure there are customers.

I gave $70 for a working unit. Anything less in today's market is just a non-functional parts skeleton.
I'll need to do some cleaning and maintenance, but looking forward to checking it out.

Meanwhile I've been waiting with baited breath for 23 hours for Sauron to open his damned speaker boxes.

This definitely says something about one of us but I refuse to commit any further thought as to what that might be.

Last edited:
Alright. Where do I start on my thoughts for the Kinki Studios EX-M1?

Last night my wife and I spent a couple hours throwing on record after record. We started with Getz/Gilberto, went onto Bill Evans Sunday At The Village Vanguard, and ended our night peacefully dozing off to Miles’ In A Silent Way.

My impressions are: I’m very very pleased hahah. I feel like the NAD was acting as a bit of a dam on the other components, I could tell that the UD, Hana, Sutherland and Lintons had so much more to give but were being restrained by the weakest link in the system. Last night was an experience of what felt like sonic equilibrium. The Kinki is so good it made me fall more deeply in love with my Lintons, my Hana, my Insight and MoFi. Feels like I finally got to see what this little family of components was capable of.

We were just giddy and having so much fun hearing so many things that we didn’t before. I could actually hear persistent background conversations in Sunday At The Village Vanguard, before I had only noticed the clinking of the glasses and silverware which I already thought was impressive. In A Silent Way on my last system felt very crowded and presented like a wall. Last night it had incredible depth and width, I could enjoy the music and its layers, they stretched out over a vast plane, which helped me analyze it and piece it all together conceptually in a way I never understood it before. Stan Getz on Getz/Gilberto felt 10 feet tall, like he was wailing on his saxophone above our heads. I felt like I could actually hear the drummer trying to keep time as opposed to registering it before as surgically robotic drum noises? The cymbal decay was a thing to behold man, so beautiful, it would just cascade down over you like fairy dust 🤣

Everything sounds gorgeous.

I sound crazy but I’m so stoked. I finally feel like I reproduced that show room quality sound but in my awkwardly shaped living room. Anyways, starting the morning with:

• Sonny Rollins on Impulse

Then continuing my A-Z collection walkthrough with

• Stan Getz - Jazz Samba
• Stan Getz - Jazz Samba Encore!

And then on to a handful of Stanley Turrentine records.

Thank you to @mindhead1 for putting me down the Kinki Studios rabbit hole.

The Kinkster walked right through my front door and made herself nice and comfortable in my living room! 24 hours in and I’m officially selling a NAD C 316BEE, so you can say things are getting serious. All joking aside though, really love how elegant and minimal this thing is. I wanted some VU meters but now I’m obsessed with the simplicity of this little LED display.

View attachment 193429
View attachment 193430
@moohoohahaha

The Kinkster walked right through my front door and made herself nice and comfortable in my living room! 24 hours in and I’m officially selling a NAD C 316BEE, so you can say things are getting serious. All joking aside though, really love how elegant and minimal this thing is. I wanted some VU meters but now I’m obsessed with the simplicity of this little LED display.

View attachment 193429
View attachment 193430
I had a similar experience a few years ago moving from a beloved old NAD 1600 preamp to a Bryston integrated. Everything just sounded better with the Bryston; there was no going back. The older and entry-level NAD gear is a tremendous value, but they do commit “sins of omission” that are not realized until one upgrades.

The higher end NAD stuff breaks that paradigm, not to be confused with the 316BEE.

like i mentioned in my profile post i've been having issues with my Kenwood KD-5033AF man love that turntable has been in my family longer than i've been alive.unfortunately the kenwood started developing a speed issue that has gotten really bad within the past few yrs..i've tried everything i could do to fix it short of soldering a new speed control board which i do not have the skills to do.my local shop is way backed up has a 6 month to a yr. wait just to get equipment repaired.anything that would interest me in a new/modern turntable i would not ever be able to afford living on a fixed income.i was really starting to get disheartened with the vinyl hobby that i love.i finally managed to save up and buy this Technics SL1200MK2 in mint condition for a really great deal.
1.jpg

Last edited:
like i mentioned in my profile post i've been having issues with my Kenwood KD-5033AF man love that turntable has been in my family longer than i've been alive.unfortunately the kenwood started developing a speed issue that has gotten really bad within the past few yrs..i've tried everything i could do to fix it short of soldering a new speed control board which i do not have the skills to do.my local shop is way backed up has a 6 month to a yr. wait just to get equipment repaired.anything that would interest me in a new/modern turntable i would not ever be able to afford living on a fixed income.i was really starting to get disheartened with the vinyl hobby that i love.i finally managed to save up and buy this Technics SL1200MK2 in mint condition for a really great deal.
View attachment 196158
Beautiful table!

For your Kenwood, if you eventually want to try to make it work, you may be able to get something like the MusicHall speed box but IIRC it depends on what kind of motor you have on the Kenwood

View attachment 196158
Nice! I bet you're gonna love it. The tables are so nicely designed for precise set up.

Was the Kenwood direct drive?

Back