Immerse Your Soul In Love - The Radiohead Thread

If there's one thing that can be said for In Rainbows, its probably their most compact and consistent record. Ten tracks in 42 minutes and not a single dud. It's an "all killer no filler" kind of album for me

Keeping it tight is most definitely a big part of it. Those tracks on Disk 2 are excellent, but there's a lot to be said for just keeping the best of the best and not overstaying your welcome.

I decided In Rainbows is my favorite Radiohead record. It's not that I just got the Diskbox... I think this is a long time coming. It's a superbly balanced record and not a single weak track. The rockers like "Bodysnatchers" and "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" do it for me by adding loads of energy that pay off the quieter moments. And "Reckoner" rivals anything in their catalogue. "15 Step" is fantastic opener too. Blends the past electronic albums and coaxes you into this more "organic" outing. Plus that live almost drum & bass beat for "Weird Fishes"... damn this record is good.

This is coming from someone that had "The Bends" on blast for several years and used it as the go-to when I had my now wife over to my place for the first time in 1996. And I have "OK Computer" on my all-time Top 50 because it totally blew my mind when it came out.

Also, have you all checked out In Rainbows From The Basement? It's on Youtube... pretty cool performance.
OK Computer>In Rainbows>Kid A>A Moon Shaped Pool>The Bends>Hail to the Thief>KOL>Amnesiac>Pablo Honey.

This best of list has probably been beaten to death previously in this thread. Sorry.

Favorite song: The Tourist

...or maybe Give Up The Ghost

OK Computer>In Rainbows>Kid A>A Moon Shaped Pool>The Bends>Hail to the Thief>KOL>Amnesiac>Pablo Honey.

This best of list has probably been beaten to death previously in this thread. Sorry.

Favorite song: The Tourist

...or maybe Give Up The Ghost

As of moving In Rainbows up my list :

In Rainbows > Ok Computer > The Bends > Kid A > Amnesiac > KOL = A Moon Shaped Pool > Hail To The Thief = Pablo Honey

Favorite Song(s) : Fade Out or Reckoner, depending on when you ask. Or Karma Police. Maybe I Might Be Wrong. It's hard to put Everything in it's right place.

Last edited:
As of moving In Rainbow up my list :

In Rainbows > Ok Computer > The Bends > Kid A > Amnesiac > KOL = A Moon Shaped Pool > Hail To The Thief = Pablo Honey

Favorite Song(s) : Fade Out or Reckoner, depending on when you ask. Or Karma Police. Maybe I Might Be Wrong. It's hard to put Everything in it's right place.

I think I’m on

OK Computer
In Rainbows
Kid A
The Bends
Hail To The Thief
A Moon Shaped Pool
Amnesiac
The King of Limbs
Pablo Honey

Favourite Song is normally “How To Disappear Completely” or “Street Spirit (Fade Out)” or maybe sometimes “There There” also love “Climbing Up The Walls” and “Lucky”, oh then there are many others too. But yeah How To Disappear Completely disarms me every time!

Last edited:
I think I’m on

OK Computer
In Rainbows
Kid A
The Bends
Hail To The Thief
A Moon Shaped Pool
Amnesiac
The King of Limbs
Pablo Honey

Favourite Song is normally “How To Disappear Completley” or “Street Spirit (Fade Out)” or maybe sometimes “There There” also love “Climbing Up The Walls” and “Lucky”, oh then there are many others too. But yeah How To Disappear completely disarms me every time!
You're right about How To Disappear. Incredible song. Best on Kid A, for sure.

I think I too place In Rainbows ahead of OK Computer strictly because it was an album I was on as the buildup began. OKC I was late arriving to. I'm also partial to Amnesiac because it was my re-introduction to Radiohead after my post-college musical dark period.

In Rainbows
OK Computer
Kid A
Amnesiac
The Bends
The King of Limbs
Hail To The Thief
A Moon Shaped Pool
Pablo Honey

Favorite song is either Talk Show Host, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, or Fake Plastic Trees. The latter moved up there after what may be my favorite moment with music in 2008. Dallas has notoriously awful crowds during concerts. Lots of chatter when people should be listening to the music. That happened every now and then during the 2008 show but when Thom started singing Fake Plastic Trees, the crowd fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. I've never seen an artist connect to and transfix an audience like Thom did during that song. I'll always chase that feeling I had during his singing of that song. I teared up while he sang it.

Last edited:
I think I too place In Rainbows ahead of OK Computer strictly because it was an album I was on as the buildup began. OKC I was late arriving to. I'm also partial to Amnesiac because it was my re-introduction to Radiohead after my post-college musical dark period.

In Rainbows
OK Computer
Kid A
Amnesiac
The Bends
The King of Limbs
Hail To The Thief
A Moon Shaped Pool
Pablo Honey

Favorite song is either Talk Show Host, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, or Fake Plastic Trees. The latter moved up there after what may be my favorite moment with music in 2008. Dallas has notoriously awful crowds during concerts. Lots of chatter when people should be listening to the music. That happened every now and then during the 2008 show but when Thom started singing Fake Plastic Trees, the crowd fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. I've never seen an artist connect and transfix an audience like Thom did during that song. I'll always chase that feeling I had during his singing of that song. I teared up while he sang it.
Fake Plastic Trees is such a special song, especially when played live. I remember when I first heard it live in 2000. Thom slightly extended one of the falsetto vocals during that song, which just immediately sent chills down my spine. It was one of those frisson moments, with the acommpanying dopamine release. :) Felt good. They played it again when I saw them next in 2014. Was hoping to have that brief moment again, but it didn't happen.

I'm not sure if everyone has that same physiological response to music and gets the chills, but my most vivid memories at live shows are usually tied to these events.

A few off the top of my head, when the bass drops during Futureworld by Com Truise. The guitar solo during Built to Spill's Life's a Dream. Drums during Friend of the Night by Mogwai. Greet Death by Explosions in the Sky.

I think it has something to do with the auditory experience exceeding one's expectations and leads to the physical reaction.

My list:

In Rainbows
OK Computer
Kid A
Hail To The Thief
The Bends
The King of Limbs
A Moon Shaped Pool
Amnesiac
Pablo Honey

Favorite songs this very minute are Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, Ideoteque, Jigsaw Falling Into Place, No Surprises, and Reckoner.

Here goes for me:

OK Computer
Kid A
In Rainbows
The Bends
Hail to the Thief
A Moon Shaped Pool
Amnesiac
The King of Limbs
Pablo Honey

Though it should be said that I think all of them except for Pablo Honey classify as great albums.

Back