Immerse Your Soul In Love - The Radiohead Thread

Since we're on the topic of Kid Amnesiac, I'm listening to my 10" Capitol press of Kid A [it's an album that comprises half of Kid Amnesiac, all the odd-numbered tracks - yeah I know it's a little choppy to listen to this way and the transitions aren't nearly as smooth overall, but this is the only way to listen to these songs on wax {for now, at least} and Idioteque actually segues nicely into Morning Bell, so it's not all bad], and...is it weird if I feel like it sounds ok?

Reading this thread, it generally seems like I have the worst versions of all of their releases, haha, but my Kid A 10" albums still sound better than Spotify or my CDs. I don't have any surface noise and feel like I have decent separation to hear more of what's going on than I can through other media.

Or is there less of a difference between the Kid A pressings than with some of the other albums?

I'm going through my Radiohead vinyl now and taking notes:
- I noticed my 2016 XL repress of The Bends sounded good for the most part but sometimes the electric guitar specifically sounded kind of thin or digital.
- My 2016 XL repress of OK computer sounded better overall, but had a tiny bit of crackle during a quiet part on "Exit Music" and one tiny little pop on "Lucky" but otherwise sounded very crisp and clean.
- It looks like I have the 2008 10"x2 "MASTERED BY CAPITOL"-stamped Rainbo press of Kid A. Side "alpha" sounds phenomenal to me. Side "beta" didn't really blow me away (but I don't have it turned up very loud since it's after 9pm and my apt walls aren't the most soundproof). Side "gamma" and "delta" sound great to me. Looking through discogs though, it looks like the OG parlophone presses have fun words in the deadwax that mine doesn't have. But other than that, I feel like I'm pretty happy with this pressing. I honestly don't even remember where I picked it up since I bought it years before I had a turntable just because I liked the album so much and wanted to own it on as many formats as possible, haha. Weirdly, the discogs entry for this one says "Limited Edition" but there doesn't really seem to be anything special about it that I can tell.

Since we're on the topic of Kid Amnesiac, I'm listening to my 10" Capitol press of Kid A [it's an album that comprises half of Kid Amnesiac, all the odd-numbered tracks - yeah I know it's a little choppy to listen to this way and the transitions aren't nearly as smooth overall, but this is the only way to listen to these songs on wax {for now, at least} and Idioteque actually segues nicely into Morning Bell, so it's not all bad], and...is it weird if I feel like it sounds ok?

Reading this thread, it generally seems like I have the worst versions of all of their releases, haha, but my Kid A 10" albums still sound better than Spotify or my CDs. I don't have any surface noise and feel like I have decent separation to hear more of what's going on than I can through other media.

Or is there less of a difference between the Kid A pressings than with some of the other albums?

I'm going through my Radiohead vinyl now and taking notes:
- I noticed my 2016 XL repress of The Bends sounded good for the most part but sometimes the electric guitar specifically sounded kind of thin or digital.
- My 2016 XL repress of OK computer sounded better overall, but had a tiny bit of crackle during a quiet part on "Exit Music" and one tiny little pop on "Lucky" but otherwise sounded very crisp and clean.
- It looks like I have the 2008 10"x2 "MASTERED BY CAPITOL"-stamped Rainbo press of Kid A. Side "alpha" sounds phenomenal to me. Side "beta" didn't really blow me away (but I don't have it turned up very loud since it's after 9pm and my apt walls aren't the most soundproof). Side "gamma" and "delta" sound great to me. Looking through discogs though, it looks like the OG parlophone presses have fun words in the deadwax that mine doesn't have. But other than that, I feel like I'm pretty happy with this pressing. I honestly don't even remember where I picked it up since I bought it years before I had a turntable just because I liked the album so much and wanted to own it on as many formats as possible, haha. Weirdly, the discogs entry for this one says "Limited Edition" but there doesn't really seem to be anything special about it that I can tell.
I've never had an issue with the Capitol editions either, tbh. Not that I have done comparisons, just that I haven't felt compelled to seek out a different version. I was hoping for a 20th anniversary edition (and surely there will be some sort of remaster/reissue at some point), but until then I'm content with the Capitol version too.

I just ordered me an OG Hail To The Thief at a semi-reasonable yet still obscene price on Discogs.

I hope the Sparklehorse boxset on VMP can hold out until next week.

Last edited:
unrelated and probably not very interesting: way back when, in the late 90s before anyone knew what a kid a was, i cut this image (without the meme text, obv) out of my textbook and stuck it to my dorm room door, i loved it so much.
Oh, were you studying art history?

Back