Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

I guess I'll have to give him another chance but I honestly don't think he's for me.

My pet peeve is when people always say that an artist (Kanye, Beyonce, etc.) is a no-talent hack when it's obvious that they have a lot of talent. It's just that you're not into their stuff. BUT, having said that, that's pretty much exactly how I feel about Kendrick. Between his recorded output and his live performances I've never really been into anything I've heard him do and his popularity leaves me scratching my head. I wish I could hear what you do in his music.
Which hip-hop artists do you gravitate towards?

I've actually worked around penguins. The enclosures stink the Penguins themselves didn't really
Neat! You should have responded with a “do you even zookeep, bro?” I submit myself to chastisement. Although I coulda sworn I remember seeing a documentary or BTS thingy where the humans complained about the intense smell. That coulda been more that there were like hundreds of thousands of them all in one area....

Neat! You should have responded with a “do you even zookeep, bro?” I submit myself to chastisement. Although I coulda sworn I remember seeing a documentary or BTS thingy where the humans complained about the intense smell. That coulda been more that there were like hundreds of thousands of them all in one area....
Herds of animals tend to leave A LOT of shit around... Fun fact penguins have hundreds of teeth going down their throats! It helps rip the fish apart as the swallow! Hardcore little bastards for being so damned cute.

Yeah, The Rolling Stones didn’t steal anything. They were definitely influenced and indebted to the great American blues artists that proceeded them but unlike Elvis and other white musicians they were super open about there musical influences and spoke of it often. The Rolling Stones were a gateway for many to the great blues legends. Elvis stole black music and pretended like he invented it The Rolling Stones were huge fan boys that bugged out getting to share a stage with Buddy Guy and Muddy Waters in Chicago. Sorry but I don’t feel like “stole” is the right word.

He blends aspects of mainstream and more underground hip hop flawlessly. He can easily go from crowd pleasing "bangers" (Backseat Freestyle, King Kunta, Humble) to more introspective, thought provoking songs(momma, Poe Mans Dreams, Vanity Slaves) Hes one of the best writers in hip hop currently, has multiple flows he excels at, and has excellent beat selection. He collaborates with forward thinking artists outside of his genre like Kamasi, Flylo, Thundercat, etc..Hes never made a bad album, and has made 3 of the best hip hop albums of the past decade, with 2 arguably in the top 5 of the decade. He constantly outshines other rappers on their own tracks.

Tldr: everything
This, this, this!

I'll expand a bit upon this too and say that my favorite thing about Kendrick's music is just how poetic it is. What I mean by that is - I'd imagine most of us here have a general grasp on what most Kendrick songs are about in a broad aspect, but there's always more to unpack, and interpret, and re-interpret. Even when it's obvious that a song or an album is primarily rooted in a certain subject, it never feels surface level, it never feels like Kendrick Lamar is coming out and saying "This is exactly how I feel in plainest and simplest terms". I like J Cole, he's a skilled rapper, and he tackles some pretty deep topics. But I never have sat around wondering what exactly J Cole means - he wears his heart, and his meaning, on his sleeve, and leaves very little room for interpretation. Contrast that with Kendrick Lamar, who is a lot more narratively dubious and vague, and leaves much more to the imagination.

I remember when "The Blacker The Berry" dropped, EVERYBODY was talking about that song. Not just about how good it was or how excited we all were for the album, but serious debates and back-and-forths about where exactly the song is coming from. Obviously the general gist and topics of the song are pretty clear, but where exactly Kendrick is coming from, what exactly he is trying to say, what the song was condemning vs. what it was just presenting, etc. was really up in the air, and inspired a lot of creative speculation and readings. There are VERY few rappers, especially in the mainstream, who can expertly walk such a fine line between being clear enough to be understood yet being enigmatic and poetic enough to inspire such a fervent and deeper reading of their work

Which hip-hop artists do you gravitate towards?

Honestly outside of Kanye (and his circle like Pusha T or Cudi) I don't really like too many current hip-hop artists. Most of the stuff I own on vinyl comes from the 90's, or early 2000's... Like Tribe, De La, PM Dawn, Jurassic 5 ... And my favorite album of this year is probably Malibu Ken, which is Aesop Rock w/ Tobacco ...

I know in general, I like clever lyrics, and humor too so things like Childish Gambino or Swet Shop Boys also appeal to me.

Honestly outside of Kanye (and his circle like Pusha T or Cudi) I don't really like too many current hip-hop artists. Most of the stuff I own on vinyl comes from the 90's, or early 2000's... Like Tribe, De La, PM Dawn, Jurassic 5 ... And my favorite album of this year is probably Malibu Ken, which is Aesop Rock w/ Tobacco ...

I know in general, I like clever lyrics, and humor too so things like Childish Gambino or Swet Shop Boys also appeal to me.
Heems is severely underrated IMO. Especially his bars on the Wild Water Kingdom album and his stuff in Swet Shop Boys. For the adventurous, check out his Combat Jack Freestyle he did on the radio show. MF'er was the only rap cat to use the word collusion in a verse loooong before this current political incarnation.

Last edited:
I love all the Stones talk the last few pages.

HOT TAKE: Goats Head Soup is the best Rolling Stones album of all time!

Caveat, I realize it is not objectively the best. But its my favorite :)

But it has Angie on it and my hot take is that it’s one of the Stones worst ever songs and I hate Jagger’s vocals on it...

Counter Point, I love do do do do do (Heartbreaker) a lot

Main point, it’s not one of the four that preceded it...

Liking PM Dawn and/or calling them hip-hop artists might be the hottest take yet.

Heems is severely underrated IMO. Especially his bars on the Wild Water Kingdom album and his stuff in Swet Shop Boys. For the adventurous, check out his Combat Jack Freestyle he did on the radio show. MF'er was the only rap cat to use the word collusion in a verse loooong before this current political incarnation.

I mean rappers were talking about it in the 90s too but we can attribute it to some rape apologist rapper too I guess?

you do not wish to be set adrift on memory bliss?

dope sample and pop song but that ain't rap.

Oh yeah, the stones also ripped off Dillon and a solid chunk of the Beatles. Sooo, it’s nice that they borrow pretty broadly.

Also Dylan

And how did they rip off their contemporaries? They did attempt to go down the psychedelic route with Santanic
Majesty but it sounds nothing like Pepper’s and they immediately realised it was a terrible mistake and went back to their bluesy roots. Far from ripping off The Beatles they were very different being a band that, at their peak, stuck more to a blue template rather using that as a base to explore a other sonic avenues.

Das Racist is one of my favorite rap groups of all time. Kool AD getting outed for being a trash person gutted me more than all the other musical me too moments of recent history

Back