Albums of the Year through September 6, 2024:
1. Pedro the Lion : Santa Cruz
2. Madi Diaz : Weird Faith
3. Future Islands : People Who Aren't There Anymore
4. Vampire Weekend: Only God Was Above Us
5. Childish Gambino: Bando Stone and The New World
6. Office Dog: Spiral
7. High On Fire: Cometh the Storm
Not sure why your AOTY would qualify as a “hot take”. Regardless, here’s a thread that would be much more apt for this list…

Not sure why your AOTY would qualify as a “hot take”. Regardless, here’s a thread that would be much more apt for this list…
Out of an abundance of Caution, I put it here.
In my mind - the Pedro / Madi / Fut. Is. top 3 seemed hotish-takish at the end of Brat-girl summer and where we saw releases from: Beyoncé:, The Smile, A. Leneker, Jack White, Sturgill Simpson, Fontanes D.C. Chief Keef and Los Campesinos and other darlings of the boards and which don't make my list.

If not - maybe the Hot Take is that this is a Hot Take.? 🤷‍♂️
Otherwise, my mistake.

Out of an abundance of Caution, I put it here.
In my mind - the Pedro / Madi / Fut. Is. top 3 seemed hotish-takish at the end of Brat-girl summer and where we saw releases from: Beyoncé:, The Smile, A. Leneker, Jack White, Sturgill Simpson, Fontanes D.C. Chief Keef and Los Campesinos and other darlings of the boards.

If not - maybe the Hot Take is that this is a Hot Take.? 🤷‍♂️
Otherwise, my mistake.
I think I've seen a lot of folks on here put that Pedro as their aoty so far. It's had a great reception.

I say this as a huge country rock/alt country fan and with a healthy love of his work with the Byrds and the Flying Burrito Brothers, but I find Graham Parsons’ solo work to be kind of boring and more than a little slick.
I've tried a few times and it doesn't click with me either, despite also enjoying his work in those other bands. The solo stuff leans a bit too hard in the direction that I don't care for in country sounds.

I never thought of it as too slick before, but that seems like an apt descriptor and possibly what doesn't do it for me with his stuff either.

I've tried a few times and it doesn't click with me either, despite also enjoying his work in those other bands. The solo stuff leans a bit too hard in the direction that I don't care for in country sounds.

I never thought of it as too slick before, but that seems like an apt descriptor and possibly what doesn't do it for me with his stuff either.
I almost went with the yacht descriptor.

Back