Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

This typo is too good not to point out. I'm interested in this alt time universe. Other than Pet Sounds what are the inhabitants cultural touchstones. Do they have any rituals, rites of passage? Are the physics different than ours? What is mater in this universe?
LOL. Well fuck, this is truly the darkest timeline to be sure.

Whenever you get a chance. IMO it’s a pretty special album.

Maybe it's the lack of rhythm. The bass and drums rarely get a good groove together. This album all is melody, harmony, and timbre. I'm a drummer. The music also doesn't leave room for a lot of spontaneity. No one cuts loose! It reads like a perfectly painted sunset. Pretty but...lacking

Agreed, but Lay Down Sally I can put on repeat for ages!

and I like the rawness of Layla and it’s hard not to be touched by the naked emotion of tears in heaven but I sometimes find that with virtuoso musicians like him that sometimes their songs lose their focus and begin to become showcases of their playing ability...

and I like the rawness of Layla and it’s hard not to be touched by the naked emotion of tears in heaven but I sometimes find that with virtuoso musicians like him that sometimes their songs lose their focus and begin to become showcases of their playing ability...

Have you listened to this new music called Fusion Jazz. I think you may like it.

Yea I get it. I just find a lot of his music generic and lacking any kind personal touch. Layla and Tears in Heaven to stand out. He is a great instrumentalist though don't get me wrong on that. No Hendrix though. Never in a million years.

Maybe it's the lack of rhythm. The bass and drums rarely get a good groove together. This album all is melody, harmony, and timbre. I'm a drummer. The music also doesn't leave room for a lot of spontaneity. No one cuts loose! It reads like a perfectly painted sunset. Pretty but...lacking
Also...sorry, though it might not feature much in the way of traditional “rock” drumming Pet Sounds is a goddamn showcase for some pounding timpani drumming.

Have you listened to this new music called Fusion Jazz. I think you may like it.

Yea I get it. I just find a lot of his music generic and lacking any kind personal touch. Layla and Tears in Heaven to stand out. He is a great instrumentalist though don't get me wrong on that. No Hendrix though. Never in a million years.

Yeah you see I think we maybe looking for different things in music...

Your criticism of pet sounds as being too tight and having too many harmonies is absolutely why I love it. It showcases brilliantly written and honed music. That’s where real talent lies for me! When it becomes too loose I get bored and think it’s poor song writing and often descends into ego driven showing off...

As for Hendrix v clapton, I prefer Hendrix’s own music too, I don’t think there’s much in it as players though and I’d probably take Clapton first as a session musician...

Yeah

Last edited:
Hard disagree with the Kinks. They pretty much pioneered that type of guitar distortion in their early days.
Well I'd say most of the bands I listed were closer to trying to make their own blues and R&B than ripping off anything. If any of them were acting like they invented the style completely it's news to me.

I agree that the Kinks did a much better job of bringing some excitement to it with those power chord riffs and awesome guitar sound and that influenced so many things after it.

Last edited:
Yeah you see I think we maybe looking for different things in music...

Your criticism of pet sounds as being too tight and having too many harmonies is absolutely why I love it. It showcases brilliantly written and honed music. That’s where real talent lies for me! When it becomes too loose I get bored and think it’s poor song writing and often descends into ego driven showing off...

As for Hendrix v clapton, I prefer Hendrix’s own music too, I don’t think there’s much in it as players though and I’d probably take Clapton first as a session musician...

Yeah

It's a common cliche in jazz circles that a musician has to tell a story with their notes. And Hendrix is a classic example of an instrumentalist that can do this. Axis Bold As Love (the song) is a perfect example. He really makes the guitar sing. It personifies the grandeur and deity-like power of the lyrics in that song.

Back