Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Counterpoint- here is a comprehensive list of things better and less annoying than FJM.

-pan flutes
-killer bees
-lima beans
-falling out of a helicopter
-spontaneous amputation
-sweaty cheese
-sweaty person next to you on public transit
-the American electoral system
-head on car crash
-bicycle seats made out of a cactus
-eyeballs falling out
-every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light
-a stranger throwing up and it gets in your mouth
-1% phone battery
-getting the last seat on the bus then realizing it's because someone peed on it
-turning inside out

And just what's wrong with lima beans? 😂

Not sure the Wu thing really is that hot a take.. or the Redman thing either but like all stuff with rap, people will debate it to death. I personally think Wu Tang Forever is trash. It's a dope single album stuffed with filler to make it a double album.

Eminem is definitely a top 10 rapper of all time but I can't listen to a single album of his beyond Slim Shady. I owned his first 12" when it dropped and the CD for the Slim Shady EP so when the album came out, I was kinda done with him. He still had occasionally good songs and great guest spots, but his albums did nathan for me.

Have to agree on Joey.. I got caught up when 1999 dropped too but he hasn't dropped anything since that has really grabbed me. I don't own or know nearly enough KRIT but I do like what I've heard.

Not to knock your taste or anyone else but Denzel Curry is just one of those dudes that I don't get the appeal of at all. I've listened to a bunch of his tracks and they're mediocre at best and terrible at worst..

LCD Soundsystem, The Strokes, The Beastie Boys and a lot of those NYC bands/artists are the epitome of trust fund kiddies and I'm not sure why they get a pass for it at all.

I'll definitely give KRIT a lot more credit than Joey. 4Eva Is A Mighty Long Time is a good album, and a bit more adventurous sonically, but hoo boy could it do with some serious paring down - most hip-hop double albums suffer very similar fates, and that one is no different. As far as Denzel, he's far from my favorite modern artist, but I do appreciate the way he pays homage to, and incorporates influences from, his predecessors in the Florida and Memphis scenes - for as much as people like to talk about how much of an influence those scenes had on modern "soundcloud rap"/trap, I very much doubt most of those rappers out nowadays could even name a Three 6 Mafia song. I like that Denzel takes that influence a step further and blends it in with modern trap leanings. Is it the most experimental or noteworthy thing in the world? Hell no, but I'd rather him do decently in that lane than try to aim for some "deep meaning" that he either can't articulate or can't fully realize without coming off as trying WAY too hard.

As far as the "trust fund kiddies" go, I can't really speak on anyone else in that scene because I don't know much about their whole financial situation and I can't really find it in me to care THAT much, but I think LCD Soundsystem gets a pass BECAUSE they're so upfront. I mean, James Murphy was running a label for years before LCD Soundsystem even put out their first single, and that first single was basically launched off the relative notoriety of said label. Murphy has always come across as an older dude who spent his 20s listening to esoteric rock/electronic records and kicking around in the music industry, and then went on to start making music when he had enough of a platform to do so and basically be guaranteed either success or a fool-proof backup plan. I totally get why people may not dig it, but there's really nothing to be revealed about his whole situation that he's not already acknowledging in his songs

Yeah I wouldn’t call the Beatles bad either. But so many people act like they invented music. There’s a handful of great tunes (Yesterday) but if I never heard another Beatles song again I’d be happy.

And I stand by my Bob Dylan take. Joni Mitchell is actually everything people think Bob Dylan is.

I couldn’t disagree with you more on The Beatles and Bob but yeah Joni is very special indeed and doesn’t get the credit she is due.

Prog is public school srseholes making boring music to show off their musicianship rather than writing songs for people to enjoy.

Grunge is universally terrible (I like Pumpkins and Nirvana but people tell me they’re not grunge so yeah all the rest is trash).

Brian Eno has destroyed the music of every artist he’s worked with after Bowie...

I see your not a fan of STP or soundgarden

No not really, that whole movement was before my time as a music fan and when I went back to it in the later 90s it didn’t really seem worthy of that much attention, it seemed terribly grey in a multi coloured world.

I’d like to punch FJM in the wiener in retaliation for inflicting his pretentiousness asshattery on my ears. He’s earned it.
Here’s another one:

Skits in rap music make it almost unlistenable on vinyl.
Even hotter take, other than perhaps a handful of skits in the last 30 years, skits in rap music are worthless and most are outright bad.
Childish Gambino is rap music for people who hate rap music.
Action Bronson is only popular because he is a more marketable Ghostface.
Something something The National something something paint dry something something hipster vegan coffee shop soundtrack
Grunge is universally terrible (I like Pumpkins and Nirvana but people tell me they’re not grunge so yeah all the rest is trash).
It’s ok to not like jazz/classical/whatever other serious music people get all judgmental about.
None of these are hot takes

Back