Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

The Beatles were good songwriters but other singers/musicians did their songs better.

Bob Dylan is a good songwriter but more boring than paint drying.

Childish Gambino is rap music for people who hate rap music.

I don't think I could come up with a more boring rapper than Chance The Rapper if I tried and had the resources.

Stephen Jenkins (I think that's his name? Lead singer of 3rd Eye Blind) is a phenomenal song writer.

Action Bronson is only popular because he is a more marketable Ghostface.

Most modern rap is completely forgettable and will not last the test of time.

I'm sure I got more but those are the first that come to mind.

The Beatles were good songwriters but other singers/musicians did their songs better.

Bob Dylan is a good songwriter but more boring than paint drying.

Childish Gambino is rap music for people who hate rap music.

I don't think I could come up with a more boring rapper than Chance The Rapper if I tried and had the resources.

Stephen Jenkins (I think that's his name? Lead singer of 3rd Eye Blind) is a phenomenal song writer.

Action Bronson is only popular because he is a more marketable Ghostface.

Most modern rap is completely forgettable and will not last the test of time.

I'm sure I got more but those are the first that come to mind.
I am literally on fire right now.

I’d like to punch FJM in the wiener in retaliation for inflicting his pretentiousness asshattery on my ears. He’s earned it.

Personally, as a FJM fan, I can see how somebody might be turned off by his personality but I can't imagine not being into his music. He's my favorite singer/songwriter of the decade by a wide margin.

Amy Winehouse was a glorified, overhyped impersonator.

Mach Hommy is a terrible rapper.

Kanye West hasn't made a good album in over a decade.

Kendrick is a good rapper but not in the top 20 ever, let alone up there for GOAT.

Biggie, Nas and Wu-Tang all only had one great album each.

CCR > Rolling Stones > The Beatles

Blue Cheer did more for heavy metal than Black Sabbath.

Kendrick is a good rapper but not in the top 20 ever, let alone up there for GOAT.

holy shit dude

OH MY GOD!!! MY HEART OH JEEZ WHAT TO SAY!!

I gotta ask cause you seem to be one of the most knowledgeable rap people on here. Who to you, is the GOAT?

And I wholly agree with the CCR sentiment but rarely say it publically.

OH MY GOD!!! MY HEART OH JEEZ WHAT TO SAY!!

I gotta ask cause you seem to be one of the most knowledgeable rap people on here. Who to you, is the GOAT?

And I wholly agree with the CCR sentiment but rarely say it publically.

Really depends on how we gauge it. I think if we had to objectively pick one rapper that just changed everything it would have to be Rakim. There could be others argued as well but I don't think anyone can have a serious conversation of the GOAT rapper without including Rakim in the discussion.

Amy Winehouse was a glorified, overhyped impersonator

I loved her music...

For me, Ye was one of my favorite albums last year. Maybe my favorite Kanye album, which might be crazy to admit

I don't even consider him a good rapper. And I've seen him in concert at two festivals. I don't get the love for him AT ALL.

Oh man I can't wait to make y'all hate me

• Wu Tang as a whole are weaker than the sum of their parts. There are at LEAST five or six solo projects from Wu members that I'm reaching for over 36 Chambers or Wu-Tang Forever
    • On that same note, Redman can rap circles around Method Man and it's not even KIND OF close. Unsure if that's a "hot take" though, maybe some more experienced hip-hop heads can chime in?
  • as for The Beatles, I won't say they're weaker than the sum of their parts, but I'm still reaching for a bevy of solo albums before I reach for Revolver (their best album as a group)
    • Yoko Ono does not deserve anywhere near the amount of ire and derision that has been directed her way over the decades, and a lot of the hatred for her as a person was fueled by blatant sexism
  • Pretty Hate Machine is a mediocre album and is EASILY in the bottom half of my ranking for NIN albums. Are there a handful of classic songs on it? Absolutely. Are there also some of the cheesiest and most dated songs in the band's career on it? Absolutely.
  • Eminem at his peak was technically one of the most proficient MCs of all time, and his place in pop culture (as well as hip-hop culture) is interesting, but his schtick is and always has been corny as hell, leading to even his most "classic" albums having at least one or two unbearably bad songs on them. And it's something Em has always gotten away with, because he and his fanbase think that any criticism against his schtick is based off of "being offended/over-sensitive/too PC" rather than just genuinely finding it lame
  • Joey Bada$$ and Big KRIT are great rappers who do little more than pay homage to their respective subgenres, and do so little to push the boundaries of that sound that I don't even care to listen to a full album from them more than once or twice. I'll give KRIT more credit in this regard but they both fall into that camp
  • Alice In Chains is the best grunge band and it's not even a little close
  • Pearl Jam's greatest work is only marginally better than Nirvana, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden's worst work
  • I prefer the more carefree, braggadocios, trap-ish Denzel Curry to the fake-deep attempts at social commentary on TA13OO. TA13OO was a fine album but it's concept was extremely poorly executed and his attempts at being meaningful came across as incredibly tacky and one-dimensional, and it certainly didn't help that the album attracted a fanbase of people who don't really listen to much hip-hop, or are just getting into it, who praise it as if it's the second coming of Pac and Jesus
  • Yeezus was hot fucking garbage. Sure, the production was interesting I guess, and Kanye has never been the most lyrical rapper alive, but even if the production were god level, that couldn't save the absolutely abysmal lyricism
  • Alice Coltrane > John Coltrane
  • American Dream is the best LCD Soundsystem album. While other projects may have higher highs, I don't think there's a single project in the band's discography that can even approach American Dream from a consistency standpoint

I have MANY more, I'll just leave it at this for now ;)

Alice In Chains is the best grunge band and it's not even a little close

Agreed

American Dream is the best LCD Soundsystem album. While other projects may have higher highs, I don't think there's a single project in the band's discography that can even approach American Dream from a consistency standpoint

It's my least favorite. And not only did I not like it but it soured me on their back catalog to the point that I can no longer listen to any of their stuff.

Oh man I can't wait to make y'all hate me

• Wu Tang as a whole are weaker than the sum of their parts. There are at LEAST five or six solo projects from Wu members that I'm reaching for over 36 Chambers or Wu-Tang Forever
    • On that same note, Redman can rap circles around Method Man and it's not even KIND OF close. Unsure if that's a "hot take" though, maybe some more experienced hip-hop heads can chime in?
  • as for The Beatles, I won't say they're weaker than the sum of their parts, but I'm still reaching for a bevy of solo albums before I reach for Revolver (their best album as a group)
    • Yoko Ono does not deserve anywhere near the amount of ire and derision that has been directed her way over the decades, and a lot of the hatred for her as a person was fueled by blatant sexism
  • Pretty Hate Machine is a mediocre album and is EASILY in the bottom half of my ranking for NIN albums. Are there a handful of classic songs on it? Absolutely. Are there also some of the cheesiest and most dated songs in the band's career on it? Absolutely.
  • Eminem at his peak was technically one of the most proficient MCs of all time, and his place in pop culture (as well as hip-hop culture) is interesting, but his schtick is and always has been corny as hell, leading to even his most "classic" albums having at least one or two unbearably bad songs on them. And it's something Em has always gotten away with, because he and his fanbase think that any criticism against his schtick is based off of "being offended/over-sensitive/too PC" rather than just genuinely finding it lame
  • Joey Bada$$ and Big KRIT are great rappers who do little more than pay homage to their respective subgenres, and do so little to push the boundaries of that sound that I don't even care to listen to a full album from them more than once or twice. I'll give KRIT more credit in this regard but they both fall into that camp
  • Alice In Chains is the best grunge band and it's not even a little close
  • Pearl Jam's greatest work is only marginally better than Nirvana, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden's worst work
  • I prefer the more carefree, braggadocios, trap-ish Denzel Curry to the fake-deep attempts at social commentary on TA13OO. TA13OO was a fine album but it's concept was extremely poorly executed and his attempts at being meaningful came across as incredibly tacky and one-dimensional, and it certainly didn't help that the album attracted a fanbase of people who don't really listen to much hip-hop, or are just getting into it, who praise it as if it's the second coming of Pac and Jesus
  • Yeezus was hot fucking garbage. Sure, the production was interesting I guess, and Kanye has never been the most lyrical rapper alive, but even if the production were god level, that couldn't save the absolutely abysmal lyricism
  • Alice Coltrane > John Coltrane
  • American Dream is the best LCD Soundsystem album. While other projects may have higher highs, I don't think there's a single project in the band's discography that can even approach American Dream from a consistency standpoint

I have MANY more, I'll just leave it at this for now ;)

Not sure the Wu thing really is that hot a take.. or the Redman thing either but like all stuff with rap, people will debate it to death. I personally think Wu Tang Forever is trash. It's a dope single album stuffed with filler to make it a double album.

Eminem is definitely a top 10 rapper of all time but I can't listen to a single album of his beyond Slim Shady. I owned his first 12" when it dropped and the CD for the Slim Shady EP so when the album came out, I was kinda done with him. He still had occasionally good songs and great guest spots, but his albums did nathan for me.

Have to agree on Joey.. I got caught up when 1999 dropped too but he hasn't dropped anything since that has really grabbed me. I don't own or know nearly enough KRIT but I do like what I've heard.

Not to knock your taste or anyone else but Denzel Curry is just one of those dudes that I don't get the appeal of at all. I've listened to a bunch of his tracks and they're mediocre at best and terrible at worst..

LCD Soundsystem, The Strokes, The Beastie Boys and a lot of those NYC bands/artists are the epitome of trust fund kiddies and I'm not sure why they get a pass for it at all.

View attachment 9033

Personally, as a FJM fan, I can see how somebody might be turned off by his personality but I can't imagine not being into his music. He's my favorite singer/songwriter of the decade by a wide margin.
Counterpoint- here is a comprehensive list of things better and less annoying than FJM:

-pan flutes
-killer bees
-lima beans
-falling out of a helicopter
-spontaneous amputation
-sweaty cheese
-sweaty person next to you on public transit
-the American electoral system
-head on car crash
-bicycle seat made out of a cactus
-eyeballs falling out
-toenail salad
-every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light
-a stranger throwing up in your mouth
-1% phone battery
-getting the last seat on the bus then realizing it's because someone peed on it
-turning inside out by accident

Last edited:
Back