Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

I need a Bjork album cycle where she ditches the all the wack-a-doo make up & costuming.
I enjoy the visuals and the costumes; I listened to the latest song yesterday and I just wish she's work on new vocal/melodic ideas, as well as her lyrics. It's like I can predict where her vocal melody is going to go. About the lyrics, I feel like they're lost their artfulness, like it's just a bunch of sentences instead of an actual poetic lyric (which she's quite capable of writing.)

HOT TAKE: I HATE spoken word parts in a song or album that has most other songs with singing. I HATE it. I just can't stand it.

The only time I've ever liked it is when it's a sample of something that focuses on that being the center of the song

Like this Maybeshewill song with a sample from the movie "Network"

or these few Biosphere songs which sampled Twin Peaks

HOT TAKE: I HATE spoken word parts in a song or album that has most other songs with singing. I HATE it. I just can't stand it.

The only time I've ever liked it is when it's a sample of something that focuses on that being the center of the song

As the resident spoken word artist here, I don't like this take at all! 🤔

Probably the best spoken word part in a song I’ve heard in a long time

Probably the best spoken word part in a song I’ve heard in a long time

that seems totally fine to me! that seems mostly instrumental with the spoken word showcased.

My original post came about because I was thinking of my favorite albums of the year list and remembered the Sound of Ceres album with a lot of Spoken words on it, those parts really don't fit that well IMO

that seems totally fine to me! that seems mostly instrumental with the spoken word showcased.

My original post came about because I was thinking of my favorite albums of the year list and remembered the Sound of Ceres album with a lot of Spoken words on it, those parts really don't fit that well IMO

I don’t usually mind spoken word, but i cannot stand the Nada Surf song Popular.

Sometimes I enjoy it, like Ian McKellen's part in the Scissor Sisters' "Invisible Light."

But, there are a couple artists who I adore that have basically spoken word albums I can't really get into. Tom Waits' "Nighthawks at the Diner" is tough for me, and Nick Cave's "Dig Lazarus Dig!" I could never get into for this reason. When that album came out, my English major wife said "oh no, he's trying to be some kind of spoken word artist."

As the resident spoken word artist here, I don't like this take at all! 🤔

Not to raise this thread out of the sewer unnecessarily but..

Dunno if this would interest you.

A recently released spoken word album celebrations one of Ireland’s great poets, we’ve had a few, Patrick Kavanagh.

The first disc is a modern take in his work with contemporary artists and new score. The second disc is his own spoken word recordings from the 60s.

Right back to shit posting then…

Not to raise this thread out of the sewer unnecessarily but..

Dunno if this would interest you.

A recently released spoken word album celebrations one of Ireland’s great poets, we’ve had a few, Patrick Kavanagh.

The first disc is a modern take in his work with contemporary artists and new score. The second disc is his own spoken word recordings from the 60s.

Right back to shit posting then…

Can't say I'm a fan of at least two of the people involved with disc one, but I'm keen to check it out nevertheless.

Thanks for the cultural interlude! ;)

Back