Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Oh no, not “typical Motown”! “Killer singles” are so awful - glad they put a stop to that golden era. Lol

I think you put your finger on one of the issue - a lot of artists were given greater artistic control in the 70s - I just don’t agree that that resulted in more interesting or exciting music.

Well yeah that’s a massively disingenuous and selective reading of what I said but killer singles in soso albums is pretty crap. Unless you’re just collecting 7” and greatest hits collections? It’s not like his better albums weren’t loaded with killer hits either. I’d argue more so. Same for Marvin Gaye. The single didn’t die until the mid to late 90s!

Last edited:
Bob Dylan? 😂 see I do go to reed for vocals. I know he isn’t very pretty, but he’s got a snarl that is distinctive.

Yeah for me vocals don’t have to be perfect and pure to draw me in. They need to conjure an emotion, convey attitude or tell a story. For me Dylan uses the key of his songs quite cleverly and also I’m there for the stories and emotions.

Yeah for me vocals don’t have to be perfect and pure to draw me in. They need to conjure an emotion, convey attitude or tell a story. For me Dylan uses the key of his songs quite cleverly and also I’m there for the stories and emotions.

You don’t use an angelic voice to tell the story about the devil.

RCHP just dropped their "Shiny Happy People":

interested in the comparison to "Shiny Happy People"with this.

I'm a fan of them, but upon first listen this is pretty mid, but it's also pretty run of the mill for them so I'm genuinely curious as to this being their SHP.

We all know why the Stones have much more rhythmic interest is because their reliance on African-American music as their foundation. This can be said for Bowie as well as all the other African-American artists being mentioned.
This is true of all rock bands ever.

Oh no, not “typical Motown”! “Killer singles” are so awful - glad they put a stop to that golden era. Lol

I think you put your finger on one of the issue - a lot of artists were given greater artistic control in the 70s - I just don’t agree that that resulted in more interesting or exciting music.
There’s hot takes and there’s just wrong takes. Gaye and Wonder revitalized Motown. Gordy had already started to beat the dead horse.

interested in the comparison to "Shiny Happy People"with this.

I'm a fan of them, but upon first listen this is pretty mid, but it's also pretty run of the mill for them so I'm genuinely curious as to this being their SHP.

Within seconds of the extremely stylized art production for the video leading into the intro of "ya, ya, yaa, yaaa, ya, ya, yaa, ya, ya, yaaaa, ya" x 2, Kiedis' arm swinging dance moves and and the nasally "centuries' of over use / now I wear it nice and loose" my brain instantly went here:

Working on my top 50 artists for @Lee Newman, I got one (that I've been leaning towards for years).

The Throwing Muses are a better band than the Pixies and the only reason anyone under 35 believes otherwise is because Fight Club was way bigger for the zeitgeist than Empire Records.

For those that don't know, Throwing Muses were the first American band to sign with 4AD and the Pixies opened for them during one of their 1st national tours...

Later Hearsh and Deal would leave their respective bands to form The Breeders... and while the Pixies would immediately fall off a cliff, Throwing Muses rebounded with a second career arch full of underated gems... most especially 1995's University.

The Real Ramona would be my suggested starting point.

Last edited:
Working on my top 50 artists for @Lee Newman, I got one (that I've been leaning towards for years).

The Throwing Muses are a better band than the Pixies and the only reason anyone under 35 believes otherwise is because Fight Club was way bigger for the zeitgeist than Empire Records.

For those that don't know, Throwing Muses were the first American band to sign with 4AD and the Pixies opened for them during one of their 1st national tours...

Later Hearsh and Deal would leave their respective bands to form The Breeders... and while the Pixies would immediately fall off a cliff, Throwing Muses rebounded with a second career arch full of underated gems... most especially 1995's University.

I only know this song from Empire Records.

First off, since this is the hot take thread and I feel like destroying something beautiful, Empire Records is very overrated. That movie came out at a time when I was just discovering both music and cinema and very excited about it when it was released and was completely underwhelmed after seeing it. Sometimes I feel like maybe I am not at the right age to appreciate certain films initially, for example I feel like I had to grow into Reality Bites as I couldn’t fully appreciate the Listlessness of being a 20 something adult. That being said when I went back and rewatched Empire Records it was worse than I remember.

Also, Throwing Muses is a fine albeit underrated band, but I don’t really understand why The Pixies have anything to do with TM being underrated. Personally I learned about The Pixies the same way I learned about a lot of cool Underground bands from the 80s, I learned about them via Kurt Cobain. Just because The Throwing Muses might have got there first doesn’t mean they did it the best. Personally I prefer any of the Pixies first 4 LPs over any of the TM albums that I have heard and that doesn’t have anything to do with either Fight Club or Empire Records.

First off, since this is the hot take thread and I feel like destroying something beautiful, Empire Records is very overrated. That movie came out at a time when I was just discovering both music and cinema and very excited about it when it was released and was completely underwhelmed after seeing it. Sometimes I feel like maybe I am not at the right age to appreciate certain films initially, for example I feel like I had to grow into Reality Bites as I couldn’t fully appreciate the Listlessness of being a 20 something adult. That being said when I went back and rewatched Empire Records it was worse than I remember.

Also, Throwing Muses is a fine albeit underrated band, but I don’t really understand why The Pixies have anything to do with TM being underrated. Personally I learned about The Pixies the same way I learned about a lot of cool Underground bands from the 80s, I learned about them via Kurt Cobain. Just because The Throwing Muses might have got there first doesn’t mean they did it the best. Personally I prefer any of the Pixies first 4 LPs over any of the TM albums that I have heard and that doesn’t have anything to do with either Fight Club or Empire Records.
I learned about the Pixies because of Pump Up the Volume.

I used to date a girl who was obsessed with Empire. She also worked music retail, so I’m sure that added to the obsession, but I never really got that movie.

Back