Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

I do appreciate you citing sources. Not enough people bring the receipts.
I thought, if anything, the hot take in my original post might be that Cat Power’s voice was better than the other musicians mentioned, haha.
Her vibrato sounds like a warbling goat to me. Miley Cyrus does the same thing.
The quick little dash of a yodel thing at the end of the musical phrases? Yeah that’s distracting to me, too

When I first listened to The King of Limbs , I thought "Morning Mr. Magpie" was awful and the worst thing on the album. Now I feel like it's actually one of the best songs on it? Idk feels like maybe the best execution of the album's concept in a single track.

👀

I don't know if I've ever listened to The King of Limbs.

👀

Listening to the new Big Thief.

This is the current lobby music at all the Scientology centers isn't it?
If NXIVM were active - it'd be the pre-seminar music.

Do they serve Kool-Aid at the Big Thief Shows?
Do you know anybody that does branding in Wasco County, Oregon?
I'm moving there and I think I want a Big Thief brand - or a pentagram tattoo on my forehead - either one.

EDIT: Only through consuming the holy tuber can one free the celestial self and pass through the edges of experience.
ALL HAIL THE POTATO DEITY.

Last edited:

I'm moving there and I think I want a Big Thief brand - or a pentagram tattoo on my forehead - either one.

EDIT: Only through consuming the holy tuber can one free the celestial self and pass through the edges of experience.
ALL HAIL THE POTATO DIETY.
I have no clue what any of this is saying. Like I understand the words and assume it’s a negative critique based off the Scientology reference but outside of that I am pretty lost.

If you move a bit further Northwest you could our local cult; Ramtha School of Enlightenment; they are based out of Yelm WA and believe their leader JZ Knight is possessed by a 35,000 year old Lemurian warrior. I am not sure about their feelings on Big Thief though they do seem to be quite fond of music.

I have no clue what any of this is saying. Like I understand the words and assume it’s a negative critique based off the Scientology reference but outside of that I am pretty lost.

If you move a bit further Northwest you could our local cult; Ramtha School of Enlightenment; they are based out of Yelm WA and believe their leader JZ Knight is possessed by a 35,000 year old Lemurian warrior. I am not sure about their feelings on Big Thief though they do seem to be quite fond of music.

Wasn't there a doc on them a couple years back? I saw it. I just can't remember the name.

No thoughts on a Big Thief/cult connection. I don't listen to Big Thief. I do enjoy cults though.

Wasn't there a doc on them a couple years back? I saw it. I just can't remember the name.

No thoughts on a Big Thief/cult connection. I don't listen to Big Thief. I do enjoy cults though.
Not sure, she “Channelled” Ramtha on a 1985 episode of Merv Griffin’s talk show, the clip is thankfully still available on YouTube for the curious…

Not sure, she “Channelled” Ramtha on a 1985 episode of Merv Griffin’s talk show, the clip is thankfully still available on YouTube for the curious…

Oh yeah, I remember this.

You might be thinking of this, which was quite interesting but it's a different cult.

How dare you impugn me with such blasphemy!
To compare the heavenly enlightenment that one can only achieve through the starchy reverence that is the potato with an obvious charlatan is insulting sir.

ONLY through the mighty tuber god can one transcend this earthly body.
Only through consuming the holiest bounty this earth provides can one shed the confines of the earth.
Kiss the one you are now.
This is the dawning of the age of Knish.
All Hail the Holy Tuber.

ALL HAIL THE POTATO DEITY.
sir, this is a Wendy's

sir, this is a Wendy's
Blessings on you and your establishment sir!

Distributing the consecrated skin of the immortal tuber to believers and non-believers alike.

You and your red-haired Overlady are helping us all accept the alien we have all rejected in our own hearts through the holy sacrament of the skin on potato fry.

In addition to your divine efforts, I beseech you sir, secure your place in the infinite with the holy tuber.
Kiss your body up and down [other than your elbows].

This is the dawning of the age of Knish.
All Hail the Holy Tuber.

Yes! I forgot they'd rebranded the NRM with that name.

I actually had to Google NRM, I've only ever known them as Twelve Tribes. I don't know if they still are but they were very prevalent on the festival scene around here for awhile selling maté and baked goods. They also have a couple cafés throughout the province and one may be a Yellow Deli now but was The Preserved Seed when I first encountered it.

Back