Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

I think non-album singles are fine, as long as it's released with the understanding that it's a standalone thing. I agree with @wokeupnew that it's disappointing for an artist to release a great song you think is a lead single only for it to be a one-off.
yup! it goes that way too. Sometimes bands will release amazing songs that end up flying under the radar because they're a one-off.

Same, I love 7ins. I still have about 400 all together. That said, digital-only single song "singles" can burn in hell.

In the deepest depths of hell. I want my b-sides!

I think non-album singles are fine, as long as it's released with the understanding that it's a standalone thing. I agree with @wokeupnew that it's disappointing for an artist to release a great song you think is a lead single only for it to be a one-off.

I think it’s also a sign of age depressingly for me. Back in the day when physical was king the singles charts were a huge deal. As a kid I’d often have the pocket money to buy the big single that I heard on top of the pops and radio but saving up for an album was rare and was generally limited to your favourites. Watching top of the pops on the tele every week was the event tv of my childhood lol. As a result if a band had an ace song that worked on its own, but didn’t fit the album, or there wasn’t an album in the pipeline they’d just release it. Some of my favourite songs of the 80s and early 90s were non album singles!

Last edited:
Agree on being disappointed if I think it means an album is incoming and never happens, but I don't want to live in a world without New Order and Joy Division non-album singles so I can't say I don't like them.

Agree on being disappointed if I think it means an album is incoming and never happens, but I don't want to live in a world without New Order and Joy Division non-album singles so I can't say I don't like them.

You can extend that to pretty much every band from Manchester circa 76-94/95 for me. So much fantastic non album stuff floating about there.

I love the format of an album when it is considered but also enjoy EP's and 7" releases too.

Worth remembering that in the earlier days (I'm thinking 50's - 60's jazz) music was often released as EP's or 7" as the labels could afford to pay musicians for a full recording session and the other associated costs of a full album. It was less of a way of squeezing money out of the public rather than a necessity to get music out there.

Back