Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Hot take: I think this is a bad decision, considering we should collectively be over the fact that the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame inducts non-rock acts. This only gives fuel to the people still living under the delusion, and Dolly is one of the most worthy nominees this year (in a field of very worthy noms).

Hot take: I think this is a bad decision, considering we should collectively be over the fact that the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame inducts non-rock acts. This only gives fuel to the people still living under the delusion, and Dolly is one of the most worthy nominees this year (in a field of very worthy noms).

I know they won’t, and at this point probably couldn’t but they really should change the name of the Hall Of Fame. It’s like having an All Sports Hall of Fame, calling it the Basketball Hall Of Fame, then being disappointed that Joe Montana doesn’t wanna be inducted into the Basketball HOF. At some point we need to say it’s the Rock & Roll Hall of Fames issue more so than Dolly’s.

I know they won’t, and at this point probably couldn’t but they really should change the name of the Hall Of Fame. It’s like having an All Sports Hall of Fame, calling it the Basketball Hall Of Fame, then being disappointed that Joe Montana doesn’t wanna be inducted into the Basketball HOF. At some point we need to say it’s the Rock & Roll Hall of Fames issue more so than Dolly’s.
To extend your metaphor, it feels to me like if you had a “track and field hall of fame,” and over time started to induct adjacent activities, like one day you pull long-distance running in, then pentathalon, then downhill skiing; and before you know it, the fluidity of influences and individuals with one foot in the track world and one in the organized sports world had their place in the hall of fame. Maybe a name change would be best, but everyone involved knows the goal is to honor athletic prowess more than the arena in which it’s applied.

To extend your metaphor, it feels to me like if you had a “track and field hall of fame,” and over time started to induct adjacent activities, like one day you pull long-distance running in, then pentathalon, then downhill skiing; and before you know it, the fluidity of influences and individuals with one foot in the track world and one in the organized sports world had their place in the hall of fame. Maybe a name change would be best, but everyone involved knows the goal is to honor athletic prowess more than the arena in which it’s applied.
It’s a museum but the annual inductions are promotional and fund raising fodder outside of that it doesn’t really matter. Thanks to Paul Allen’s Boomer love of Rock & Roll, We have The Museum of Popular Culture in Seattle (formerly the Experience Music Project). MOPOP never has to explain or clarify why it has Nirvana exhibit next to Dr. Dre or Willie Nelson exhibits because it never painted itself into a corner.

The R&R HOF really had two options either be selective and strictly limit the Hall to Rock Acts or don’t get caught up in genres and styles and let all popular music acts in. They went with the latter option, which is the best choices to keep relevant but as long as they include Rock & Roll in their title it’s always gonna rub people some people the wrong way.

It’s a museum but the annual inductions are promotional and fund raising fodder outside of that it doesn’t really matter. Thanks to Paul Allen’s Boomer love of Rock & Roll, We have The Museum of Popular Culture in Seattle (formerly the Experience Music Project). MOPOP never has to explain or clarify why it has Nirvana exhibit next to Dr. Dre or Willie Nelson exhibits because it never painted itself into a corner.

The R&R HOF really had two options either be selective and strictly limit the Hall to Rock Acts or don’t get caught up in genres and styles and let all popular music acts in. They went with the latter option, which is the best choices to keep relevant but as long as they include Rock & Roll in their title it’s always gonna rub people some people the wrong way.
You’re absolutely right. Thing is, there’s an unspoken aspect of people’s gripes in the fact that the genres they bristle against are dominated by women and poc, and the exemplar “they don’t belong in the rock and roll hall of fame” acts are women and poc. I don’t think a Willie Nelson or a Garth Brooks would be compelled to do this, nor would they be praised as “authentic” or “classy” for doing so in the same way Dolly is.

You’re absolutely right. Thing is, there’s an unspoken aspect of people’s gripes in the fact that the genres they bristle against are dominated by women and poc, and the exemplar “they don’t belong in the rock and roll hall of fame” acts are women and poc. I don’t think a Willie Nelson or a Garth Brooks would be compelled to do this, nor would they be praised as “authentic” or “classy” for doing so in the same way Dolly is.
The funny thing about this, as Rock & Roll has receded from the cultural zeitgeist over the past 25 years and becomes more niche genre similar to Jazz or Country, a genuine Rock & Roll Hall of Fame would be beneficial but at the time of the HOF's inception Rock music was at it's apex which made it seem exclusionary gatekeepery by keeping out certain styles and genres as most folks had a tough time separating the idea of Rock music from Popular music as a whole. Ultimately the Hall became more and more lax which was probably the correct choice at the time but having headed down this road they should just rename it and move on but TBH, they probably enjoy the controversy.

Last edited:
Spud Infinity is a banger. I mean they rhyme "finish" with "knish".
So you ate the Potato and Joined the Cult too?

I was kidding around before - but now I cant listen to the album without feeling like I'm being recruited into a cosmic-boho-neo-hippy cult.

I mean if I told you this photo was taken from an article where members of a new gen-z Brooklyn-based urban-agri-cult explained their belief system, you'd ask if I got this off VICE.

1647286103888.png

So you ate the Potato and Joined the Cult too?

I was kidding around before - but now I cant listen to the album without feeling like I'm being recruited into a cosmic-boho-neo-hippy cult.

I mean if I told you this photo was taken from an article where members of a new gen-z Brooklyn-based urban-agri-cult, you'd ask if I got this off VICE.

View attachment 132329
I mean...I lived in NYC for 17 years, around 14 of those years were lived in BK and Queens. They just look like 4 kids from brooklyn to me.

I mean...I lived in NYC for 17 years, around 14 of those years were lived in BK and Queens. They just look like 4 kids from brooklyn to me.
I lived in NYC and Brooklyn for about 10 years before moving to the burbs.
MY wife is a Dean at NYU with offices in the East Village and I work in the NYC still, including in Queens and Brooklyn.

You aren't wrong about that.

But with the visuals paired with the Cosmic Potato song asking me to kiss the one I am right now, except my elbows....I just can't shake the Age of Aquarius neo-hippy cult vibe coming at me at 90mph.

I lived in NYC and Brooklyn for about 10 years before moving to the burbs.
MY wife is a Dean at NYU with offices in the East Village and I work in the NYC still, including in Queens and Brooklyn.

You aren't wrong about that.

But with the visuals paired with the Cosmic Potato song asking me to kiss the one I am right now, except my elbows....I just can't shake the Age of Aquarius neo-hippy cult vibe coming at me at 90mph.
It's a song that prominently features a mouth harp. It's just a silly song that's catchy.

But fun fact--Adrianne was born into a religious cult and got out of it (I think her parents did too later on). She has a pretty interesting life.

The Etymology is a bit strange. I looked it up once, it’s not “Jew’s” as in Jewish. I think it’s the bastardization of a French word.
I'd look again. I was issued my harp at my Bar-Mitzvah and was explained the deep history of the harp (we just call it a harp, otherwise it's a bit of a tautology, ya know?). We sound it as a warning to other Jews if we feel our gold is threatened (again "Jew gold" is a bit redundant but to the Cartmen of the world...). Or maybe that's the shofar? Fwack I can't remember. I need to go back to synagogue and get rechristened in my lore.

I'd look again. I was issued my harp at my Bar-Mitzvah and was explained the deep history of the harp (we just call it a harp, otherwise it's a bit of a tautology, ya know?). We sound it as a warning to other Jews if we feel our gold is threatened (again "Jew gold" is a bit redundant but to the Cartmen of the world...). Or maybe that's the shofar? Fwack I can't remember. I need to go back to synagogue and get rechristened in my lore.
Yeah, I am not a member of the tribe so I will cede to your expertise. Admittedly, I just read it off of Wikipedia back when I looked it up so my sourcing wouldn’t be the most reliable…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew's_harp

What would the R&R HOF change its name to? If Pop Culture or Music - it means they would need to think about expanding their base beyond the rock and roll years - popular music existed before rock and roll music - should they go back to the beginning of recorded music and become the recorded music hall of fame? Should they go back to 40000 BP and cover bone flutes? Maybe a change to Modern music, but then you'll have people arguing about Phillip Glass and Leonard Bernstein needing a place at the table.

I think R&R as a starting point is fine and is fine for the name. The old codgers who get offended by women and poc being inducted need to get over themselves because without poc and women, we wouldn't have R&R, period.

Dolly can do what she wants. I support her either way.

Ultimately, this is a pointless argument like is a hot dog is a sandwich, in the grand scheme of things, it don't matter what you think and it ain't that important.

Back