Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Of those currently alive and eligible for "best non-death metal raspy voice"

Frances Quinlan > Brian Johnson > Joan Jett> Tom Waits > Rod Stewart> Axl Rose > Bryan Adams > Steven Tyler > Adrianne Lenker
CAT POWER >>>>>>> [all of the above]
Where does Waxahatchee, Conor Oberst, and Eddie Vedder fall in that list?
Somewhere far below CAT POWER
Bandcamp was a company that broke the mold by being primarily a small company that put creators first and minimized expenses to maximize revenue splits with artists, and the model worked. They specifically avoided venture capitalist vultures who would force a completely different business model on the company that would treat each quarter as one in which every last drop of profit had to be squeezed out of all available source. The company that bought them is part of a larger conglomerate that is known for this practice, not that most companies aren't, but they've made a lot of money on micro-transactions which is anti-consumer in it's nature. Plus they've announced that they are very pro-NFT and that plans to be a big part of how they will expand moving forward. The bummer is that Bandcamp had been the best out of a bunch of shitty options for buying from artists and supporting them, and it's likely that both artists and us will suffer as the shareholder profit maximization model takes it over.
I feel like the fact that Bandcamp sold itself to that conglomerate undercuts the truth of your first few sentences here. I think Bandcamp successfully convinced a bunch of people that they built a morally superior company purely for the love of music and good vibes but were really just biding their time until they could sell at the right price.

I feel like the fact that Bandcamp sold itself to that conglomerate undercuts the truth of your first few sentences here. I think Bandcamp successfully convinced a bunch of people that they built a morally superior company purely for the love of music and good vibes but were really just biding their time until they could sell at the right price.
Obviously, since that's what happened. But it doesn't change the fact that they had a working business model that was doing better for artists and consumers than other options. It doesn't mean they were morally superior, just that they showed that a model like that could work in this economic climate and get the support of those who use it. And it's disappointing to see that they've sold that to a group that will likely change it now that a lot of the user base is locked in with libraries of digital purchases which make them less likely to stop using it regardless of what shitty changes they make. There is no ethical or moral consumption in capitalism, but there are some less shitty options and it's always a bummer when they dry up.

You might be right.

Or could it be that they the built their corporate strategy around the flaw in the Apple/Spotify strategy in an effort capture market share, including some savvy marketing that included BC Fridays?
We, we as music lovers simply projected the moral superiority on to them in kind of the same way the certain fans get pissed when the small bands we "discovered" and love "sell out" by going "mainstream". [That's really more of a Gen-X concept though isn't it?]

If it helps - maybe think of it up this way.

If somebody came to me and said - look I know you love your 1st Press/OG copy of Soundgarden's Down On the Upside but I want. So I'll give you $5000 for it. I didn't take the easy route by purchasing on line, I spent a good couple of years hitting every vinyl store in the cites I traveled to and as many record fairs as I could to find a VG+ copy of that album. But for $5000 - I'd probably sell it.

At some point, its kind of crazy to say no.
The sale price was not disclosed - but they paid $6 million to Apple in Royalites.
Reports are that $100m of music and merch has been sold on Bandcamp Fridays.

So you have to figure that the price was in the 9 figure range.
Kind of hard to say no to that - no matter what the idea was when you started the company.

one of my all time faves…also, not raspy.
I'm enjoying seeing how different people define a raspy voice. Wasn't the original post referencing death metal voices, which is not what I would consider raspy?

I think Bonnie Tyler fits the description to my ears. She's so raspy it's almost what I would term "grizzled."

Hey, this is the hot takes thread, not the factually inaccurate takes thread, haha.
LOL! I am enjoying everyone’s interpretation of “raspy”. It’s a term that we all understand but is a word that’s definable range of what one considers raspy seems to vary a great deal. I think my “Raspiness quotient” must be fairly narrow and fall the more on the extreme side of things; William Elliott Whitmore and Eric Bachmann come to mind right off the bat.

LOL! I am enjoying everyone’s interpretation of “raspy”. It’s a term that we all understand but is a word that’s definable range of what one considers raspy seems to vary a great deal. I think my “Raspiness quotient” must be fairly narrow and fall the more on the extreme side of things; William Elliott Whitmore and Eric Bachmann come to mind right off the bat.
“hoarse or harsh sounding”. Ben Nichols from Lucero in addition to WEW for sure. Chan Marshall ain’t raspy 😂

I doubt this is a hot take...

Sometime in early 2020 a friend told me he felt like The Black Pumas were an industry plant. I had just come off seeing them in January, and absolutely loved their live show. I had the album and pretty much loved it start to finish, or at least 75% of it. Now, over two years later I think I may agree with him. For how good I felt that album is/was, where is the next one? I mean, are they even writing or just touring and selling merch? (and a zillion vinyl variants)

I think people are conflating “raspy” with “husky.” Cat Power is definitely husky. Adrienne Lenker and Bob Dylan are raspy.

“hoarse or harsh sounding”. Ben Nichols from Lucero in addition to WEW for sure. Chan Marshall ain’t raspy 😂

I think people are conflating “raspy” with “husky.” Cat Power is definitely husky. Adrienne Lenker and Bob Dylan are raspy.

Agree to disagree.

“Her voice is raspy…” ~

“In ‘I’ll Be Seeing You’ (Cat Power’s Version), Chan Marshall’s golden rasp replaces Billie Holiday’s light warble, and her classic finger-picked guitar replaces the original’s smoky horns.” ~ Cat Power Covers Billie Holiday’s “I’ll Be Seeing You”: Stream

“ Her sultry rasp still cuts through each word, seduces both sexes and lingers long after in the ear.” ~ Decade : Cat Power, The Greatest (2007) : Aquarium Drunkard

“When she stepped to the mic, her voice came out thick and smoky and raspy, just magnificent, like she’d been holding back onstage for years and was only just learning how good she was…”
~ Cat Power: Not Crazy Anymore! - The Village Voice

“The opening title track brings her wondrous voice to the fore, highlighting the chocolate rasp she used so well on 2006’s The Greatest.” ~ Cat Power: Wanderer

Agree to disagree.

“Her voice is raspy…” ~

“In ‘I’ll Be Seeing You’ (Cat Power’s Version), Chan Marshall’s golden rasp replaces Billie Holiday’s light warble, and her classic finger-picked guitar replaces the original’s smoky horns.” ~ Cat Power Covers Billie Holiday’s “I’ll Be Seeing You”: Stream

“ Her sultry rasp still cuts through each word, seduces both sexes and lingers long after in the ear.” ~ Decade : Cat Power, The Greatest (2007) : Aquarium Drunkard

“When she stepped to the mic, her voice came out thick and smoky and raspy, just magnificent, like she’d been holding back onstage for years and was only just learning how good she was…”

“The opening title track brings her wondrous voice to the fore, highlighting the chocolate rasp she used so well on 2006’s The Greatest.” ~ Cat Power: Wanderer

I just don’t hear a rasp. I would describe her voice as sultry.

Agree to disagree.

“Her voice is raspy…” ~

I just see a lot of people that don’t know the meaning of raspy 😂

Agree to disagree.

“Her voice is raspy…” ~

All morons!!! Her voice is more of a whisper. She barley sings, it’s not resonate. It like her voice is going just fall apart. Rasp I associate more with power like Joplin. She’s falling apart in a different way.

Agree to disagree.

“Her voice is raspy…” ~

They’re all wrong, and I alone am correct.

Agree to disagree.

“Her voice is raspy…” ~

I do appreciate you citing sources. Not enough people bring the receipts.

Back