Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Gotta have thick skin to hang in the hot takes thread. This may actually have more to do with the fact that I was a quietly insufferable jazz snob during the high time for both bands. Seriously though why Pumpkins?

They were the bridge between the teenage rage of grunge, and... Well, whatever the hell else was going on in rock in the 90s. R.E.M. is only there for the sake of an example. Put in Radiohead or Creed or something, it's the same statement.

They were the bridge between the teenage rage of grunge, and... Well, whatever the hell else was going on in rock in the 90s. R.E.M. is only there for the sake of an example. Put in Radiohead or Creed or something, it's the same statement.

Ok so I listened to Siamese Dream and Automatic For the People.

Siamese Dream: I can see why this would be a point of entry for people who were into harder side of popular music. However the lyrics have not aged well. I found them rather simple and dealt with simple problems. The teenage rage, yea it’s there. There also the teenage self absorption. It matches the popular picture of Billy.

Automatic for the People: sonically it’s a lot more varied, which makes it more interesting to listen to. Their lyrics have aged a lot better. They are more varied in subject, empathetic, and show a bigger world view.

I’ll listen to some songs from SD, but AFTP I’d probably spin a lot more and want to listen to the whole album.

With the exception of Hard Rock and Metal . I hate listening to dudes singing with high voices.

Did you just put Creed on the same pedestal as Radiohead and the Pumpkins?

This also shows my age but I think REM was important in the 80’s and just massively popular in the 90’s.

I was there for the massively popular bit but having dug back agree with you. R.E.M. in the US and The Smiths this side are really the two bands that made indie music into a substantial thing. R.E.M. survived to become big, The Smiths spit up and got to have the mystique around bands that split up in their prime.

Back