Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Alright I got one. In the form of a question. Is music (or any art for that matter) that is made portraying a first person view of a horrible person doing a horrible act viable?
(Ex: Gimme The Loot by BIG, Sex Type Thing by Stone Temple Pilots, Cop Killer by Body Count)
Yes.
I don’t know the first of your examples, but the second two are great songs.

Alright I got one. In the form of a question. Is music (or any art for that matter) that is made portraying a first person view of a horrible person doing a horrible act viable?
(Ex: Gimme The Loot by BIG, Sex Type Thing by Stone Temple Pilots, Cop Killer by Body Count)

We watch movies that are about evil acts all the time. Why shouldn't songs include that as well? Although one of the pleasures of listening to music is singing along. When you do this with the songs you mention is does make you look like you endorse the act.

The internet assures me that the body count on Nick Cave’s Murder Ballads is 76. It’s the album of his I first heard on release and has proven to be the one I return to the most. Not all songs are told first person but, I find myself fascinated by them all and typically associate/empathise with the killers over the victims.

All three Adrianne Lenker Records for $44 dollars shipped using promo code HOLIDAY2019
View attachment 24080

All three Hop Along Records for $44 dollars shipped using promo code HOLIDAY2019

View attachment 24079

Francis Qunilan or Adrianne Lenker, but you can only chose one and once you choose you are rendered totally deaf to the other?

Alright here's my Jazz hot take.

Bobo Stenson > Keith Jarrett

Edit: yep just as I suspected...nobody cares

Edit2: Same post got removed from the ECM FB group. Maybe the joke I made about burning a Keith effigy was too much?

Last edited:
Not a hot take and not a confession.
Maybe it's just that I'm getting old (I'm 36), but I have a hard time enjoying all the current pop music. With the exception of Carly, all the pop that it's 100% pop is just so meh. Halsey, Banks, Camila Cabello, Billie Eilish, Tove Lo, La Roux... i might enjoy one song every now and then, but I don't think it's fun pop music anymore and OH MY GOD I SOUND LIKE MY PARENTS.

Songs I Loathe, but by Bands I Love (a self-owing/Hot Take/Confession):
  • Wilco - Impossible Germany (More like impossible to listen to and they play it EVERY FUCKING TIME I see them live)
  • Wilco - Heavy Metal Drummer (Don't @ me)
  • Tool - Chocolate Chip Trip (Danny is the greatest living drummer but I don't need the Ayn Rand version of the Dead's Drums & Space)
  • The Dead - Drums & Space (see Impossible Germany above)
  • Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun (Black Hole Sun wont you come and swallow up this song)
  • U2 - Love is Blindness (Compounded by the fact that my wife LOVES this song)
  • The Black Crowes - Remedy (No. Just No.)
I am sure there are others....but this is just off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Songs I Loathe, but by Bands I Love (a self-owing/Hot Take/Confession):
  • Wilco - Impossible Germany (More like impossible to listen to and they play it EVERY FUCKING TIME I see them live)
  • Wilco - Heavy Metal Drummer (Don't @ me)
  • Tool - Chocolate Chip Trip (Danny is the greatest living drummer but I don't need the Ayn Rand version of the Dead's versions Drums & Space)
  • The Dead - Drums & Space (see Impossible Germany above)
  • Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun (Black Hole Sun wont you come and swallow up this song)
  • U2 - Love is Blindness (Compounded by the fact that my wife LOVES this song)
  • The Black Crowes - Remedy (No. Just No.)
I am sure there are others....but this is just off the top of my head.
You could change the title to “Songs @TenderLovingKiller® loves that I hate” and it would still be an accurate description.

Back