Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

I've always heard Nujabes' name come up all over the place in music forums and hip-hop discussions and whatnot, but I didn't actually sit down with his discography until a month or two ago, and it's.... fine I guess? Kind of mediocre to be quite honest. I can't say I don't get the appeal but I just feel like there's so much better stuff out there. I just can't believe that THIS is the music I've seen so many people say is just as good as J Dilla, DJ Shadow, DOOM (production-wise), etc.

I've always heard Nujabes' name come up all over the place in music forums and hip-hop discussions and whatnot, but I didn't actually sit down with his discography until a month or two ago, and it's.... fine I guess? Kind of mediocre to be quite honest. I can't say I don't get the appeal but I just feel like there's so much better stuff out there. I just can't believe that THIS is the music I've seen so many people say is just as good as J Dilla, DJ Shadow, DOOM (production-wise), etc.
While, I understand and respect this opinionI I don’t necessarily agree with it. Nujabes production is decidedly his, completely unique to him (similarly to the other artists you stated for comparison purposes) I think Nujabes production is much more Jazz based than these others artists. I would be much more apt to spin a Nujabes record on a Sunday morning or after a late night (I would say if it aligns with anyone’s production, I’d probably throw him more in the category of Q-Tip) than maybe some Madlibs or DJ Shadow. Nujabes vibe to me is like baseball it can be comforting and quietly ignored if you are in that mindset but when you focus the intricacies and dynamics of what is going on, that is when you really fall in love.

I know a 65 year old Canadian/Armenian man who would kick your ass for this take 🤣

Hey I know this is hot takes thread , but let’s keep it classy.

Edit: I realize this could be in reference to me and not prince. Rest in power
As Prince super fan #2 on these here forums, it was wholly directed at you. ;)

Prince isn’t gone, he just ascended to another Dimension and is jamming out with a full angelic choir!

#2? How did these numbers get handed out - like a deli counter?

Who is number one? Cause I’m gonna have to pull out some kind of “Before Abraham was, I am” card.
Hahaha! As a firm believer in staking claim where I see fit, I self-assigned this ranking. I, obviously, put @Lee Newman at #1. HOWEVER, we can always have a "Prince-off" competition to battle for Purple Supremacy :)

See bold portion. I like your philosophy and I will follow suit. I declare myself #1, vested with full and total authority to assign, make judgments, and contradict myself regarding all things Prince. As such, the first annual N&G Prince-off competition has come and passed with the following results....

I win!

Furthermore, I reserve spots 2-10 for myself as a buffer. For your presumption to both assign the number one spot and claim the number two spot, you will be assigned #117 for a probationary period of 5 years, after which time we will reevaluate your ranking on the leaderboard.

Jumanji!
HAHA!

Unless I get #319, I shall not be happy. I will deny you the throne and LIVE FOREVER!

Back