Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

This also shows my age but I think REM was important in the 80’s and just massively popular in the 90’s.

Just listened to the first couple of songs from their first album. I like the way Stipe tries to be empathetic by telling other people’s stories with his observations.

it makes me wonder about the relationships he had with the people in the stories. Were they really as intimate as the lyrics portray? Who knows maybe he made them up from images he saw or things he just observed someplace.

I've always heard that, in many cases, Stipe was pretty "in the moment" with lyrics, and that he wasn't even sure himself what the definitive words are to some of those early songs. That was why he mumbled and moaned so much through a lot of those songs. Not sure if that is true, but I remember hearing him talk about that in older interviews.

90s. R.E.M. is only there for the sake of an example
Your example is flawed. R.E.M. did the vast majority of their influencing in the 1980’s. 1990s for a band like R.E.M. was more of a victory lap where they jumped from being the most important band in College/Underground Rock to the biggest rock band in music. I love both The Pumpkins and R.E.M. but The Pumpkins never rose to the level of importance as R.E.M.

Last edited:
it makes me wonder about the relationships he had with the people in the stories. Were they really as intimate as the lyrics portray? Who knows maybe he made them up from images he saw or things he just observed someplace.
You can make out what Stipe is singing about on his first few records? I would need a lyrics sheet.

I think R.E.M. is one of the great American rock bands. They never really found their footing after Bill Berry left, but, for me, their output from "Murmur" through "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" is pretty strong throughout. And there are several songs post-Bill Berry that I enjoy too. I just don't think they ever really produced albums on the level of their early work in those later years. Even though they weren't as commercially successful at the end, their last two were actually pretty solid, and let them end on a decent note.

They were the bridge between the teenage rage of grunge, and... Well, whatever the hell else was going on in rock in the 90s. R.E.M. is only there for the sake of an example. Put in Radiohead or Creed or something, it's the same statement.

Hahaha! Comical take! Elevate a terrible band by putting them in the same sentence as the most influential band of the 80s and the most influential band of the late 90s/early 00s!

Back