Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Taco Bell is not Mexican and anyone who thinks it is delusional or presidential material. Anyhow, I’m firmly in the it’s delicious camp.
I agree. It isn't Mexican. And if you go into thinking it is, you'll be disappointed. It is vegetarian friendly fast food. I jam down on the Spicy Potato Soft Taco. OMG. And they're $1!!!

A legit question. Everyone's brain is different. I'd take it over John Mayer or Dave Matthews, but that's me.

This is from the Pre-order thread discussing Merzbow. My response is more appropriate here.

John Mayer is the top guitarist to emerge this Century.

I'm not defending some of his artistic choices or him as a person, but his criminally underappreciated musicianship that gets driven under by the "your body is a wonderland"/pop aesthetic critique.

Of the more recently acknowledged recent "great" guitarists (Frusciante, N. Cline, Marr, Greenwood, Morello, D. Trucks, [& some might include] Jack White) all debuted before the end of the century. Mayer's debut album dropped in 2001.

I expect I will get responses like "What about Dan Aurebach?" To that I reply, you just knew SRV was in the pantheon when he did Little Wing justice. Its an effortless master-class in Hendrix. Mayer's effortless versions of Wind Cries Mary, Bold as Love and Voodoo Chile are in that same ballpark.

By no means am I'm saying Mayer > SRV or Hendrix. That would be absurd. Say what you will about him on any other subject and you may have a point, but for sheer musical chops he sits at the top of the list of guitarists/musicians emerging this century.

This is from the Pre-order thread discussing Merzbow. My response is more appropriate here.

I'm not defending some of his artistic choices or him as a person, but his criminally underappreciated musicianship that gets driven under by the "your body is a wonderland"/pop aesthetic critique.

Of the more recently acknowledged recent "great" guitarists (Frusciante, N. Cline, Marr, Greenwood, Morello, D. Trucks, [& some might include] Jack White) all debuted before the end of the century. Mayer's debut album dropped in 2001.

I expect I will get responses like "What about Dan Aurebach?" To that I reply, you just knew SRV was in the pantheon when he did Little Wing justice. Its an effortless master-class in Hendrix. Mayer's effortless versions of Wind Cries Mary, Bold as Love and Voodoo Chile are in that same ballpark.

By no means am I'm saying Mayer > SRV or Hendrix. That would be absurd. Say what you will about him on any other subject and you may have a point, but for sheer musical chops he sits at the top of the list of guitarists/musicians emerging this century.

I think I tend to agree with the sentiment, having now seen Mayer live twice (once solo and once with Dead & Co.). I've also said that Mayer is the best guitarist at making some really boring pop music sometimes.

I'll point to this video that circulated in The Good Ol' Grateful Thread. Take 20 minutes and if you don't think Mayer is a top tier guitarist, you're kidding yourself. If you don't have 20 minutes, start at 7:50 -

Last edited:
I got tricked into watching The Nostalgia Critic review of The Wall.... I've never cringed more in my life. It's worse than Angelic 2 The Core. I'm speechless. Holy fuck it was BAD
That shit is so weird. Weirder then the Wall itself. I've gotten more enjoyment from the reactions online then from the review itself.

Of the more recently acknowledged recent "great" guitarists (Frusciante, N. Cline

The thing I find interesting about Nels...He would have had a relatively obscure career if it were not for him joining Wilco. I was sad to seem him leave LA, but at least it was for good reasons. The album he did with Gregg Bendian covering Interstellar Space is an amazing piece of noise.

I don't like Mayer's music. I also grew up a town over from him and worked for a guy whose son was friends with him and used to drive them both back up to college (this guy did not like him in the least and would say funny shit about him). But, besides the point....

I agree that Mayer has serious musical chops. Go watch a video of him playing (and singing) Neon. It is an incredibly difficult song. He is a fantastic guitarrist.

Once you've watched that, cleanse your palette by watching Joe Bonamassa Woke Up Dreaming Live From the Royal Albert Hall. That should rebalance you.

He doesn't play a ton of The Wild live anymore. Well, Rosalita is a staple at nearly every show. During the encore. With every single damn person in the crowd singing every word and dancing like the drunken fools that they are. But the rest of the album, he doesn't play that much. There was a tour recently (@David A. - help me out - which tour?) in which he was taking requests. People would write their requests on poster board and at a certain point in the show, he'd ask for the requests, grab them out of the crowd and then pick a few to play. I saw NY Serenade and Kitty's Back because of requests on that tour.

It is my fave Bruce album for a reason though. I love all of the piano. Speaking of piano - Jungleland on Born to Run is a damn masterpiece from Mr. Roy Bittan (the piano player aka the professor).
It was The River Tour, 2016.

Goooooood times.

Back