Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

I don't know. I was a vegan for most of my early 20's and didn't eat fast food for years. It's still delicious. Perhaps you are trying to convince yourself that you've made the right choice to not eat it? Unburden yourself. Cleanse your palate. Eat a Doritos Locos Taco.
Introspection?! No thanks, I'll blame the tacos.

On a semi-related note....Inspire Brands, who owns Arbys, Sonic, BWWs, etc., will be purchasing Jimmy John's

Its Tex mex tho!

I just read this piece on Tex Mex and it feels relevant to this conversation.

Also my Take is no one extolling the virtues of Taco Bell is confusing it for something more than it it. It’s like reality TV. Everyone shits on it and says it’s terrible but then lots of people still consume it. Though, most of those people get enjoyment out don’t claim to enjoy it because they find it intellectually stimulating or thought provoking. It’s cheap and easy white noise to help drown out the bullshit of their day.

What does it say about me that I only eat fast food
That's just me! I do still love it but I always do get very bummed after eating it. Probably more out of regret/shame of not doing the healthier/cheaper thing of preparing by buying groceries and spending the time making something else. Reminds me too much of...other aspects of my life.

Authentic cuisine as a term is troublesome. Having lived in Mexico for a couple of years and traveling around most of their states, and living in the southwest currently, I will submit that authentic to one person is not authentic to another. It depends upon region, what you ate growing up, etc. Do I look at TB as a representation of MX cuisine? Not really. Same as most of the monstrosities we call sushi isn't really "authentic". I've also lived in SEA/Thailand, but damned if I hardly ever find khao nao here. Or having grown up in the NYC-area, I have strong opinions on pizza; however, things like Dominos/Papa Johns serve a purpose on occasions. I take food as it comes without worrying about labels and more so on taste. And TB is delicious food-adjacent stuff.
I get that point of view. I'm not looking for the Taco Bell menu to try and represent all of the different types of authentic cuisines found in Mexico. Whether it be northern, southern, or coastal regional food in Mexico I'm down with it if done well and if it is tasty. My main beef with Taco Bell is that it isn't delicious. It also isn't clearly representing any sort of authentic Mexican cuisine in any of those regions. Plus the ingredients are even less than sub par but again that's just my opinion on the flavor/food/whatevs.

I enjoy authentic cuisine in whatever form that means to people and cultures whose food I eat. I also can enjoy the Americanized versions of some of those foods as well. Taco Bell is just one of those that I just can't.

What does it say about me that I only eat fast food
See your sig line, my friend ;)
HAHA

.....inhales deeply...............

Taco Bell isn't food.

giphy.gif
Oh god.

Here's a juicy one for you. I've always considered myself a Springsteen fan once removed. You can summon me by simply stating that an artist is influenced or sounds like Bruce. However, beyond the radio hits, I've never listened to a full album of his, thus the once removed title. I've decided to rectify that today, and have begun listening to the discography in order. Immediately learned that Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the light" is a cover (and that Springsteen's "deuce" doesn't sound like douche). I always appreciate learning something new, especially when it comes to music, and I'm looking forward to this grossly overdue journey into an artist who directly impacted some of my most favorite artists..

Here's a juicy one for you. I've always considered myself a Springsteen fan once removed. You can summon me by simply stating that an artist is influenced or sounds like Bruce. However, beyond the radio hits, I've never listened to a full album of his, thus the once removed title. I've decided to rectify that today, and have begun listening to the discography in order. Immediately learned that Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the light" is a cover (and that Springsteen's "deuce" doesn't sound like douche). I always appreciate learning something new, especially when it comes to music, and I'm looking forward to this grossly overdue journey into an artist who directly impacted some of my most favorite artists..
Oh, I can't wait for you to get to The Wild, The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle. It's the best.

Just finished Greetings. Liked it overall, I can immediately see why my favorites get these comparisons. Mary Queen of Arkansas and Spirit int he Night were the standout tracks for me, though all were good. Just started The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle. I'm trying to come up with the words for how this one starts. Not what I was expecting at all (not a bad thing)!

Just finished Greetings. Liked it overall, I can immediately see why my favorites get these comparisons. Mary Queen of Arkansas and Spirit int he Night were the standout tracks for me, though all were good. Just started The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle. I'm trying to come up with the words for how this one starts. Not what I was expecting at all (not a bad thing)!
Yeah, Springsteen is a journey worth taking for any music fan, Spirit in the Night is such a great song. It sounds like nostalgia feels. It’s like you were riding shotgun the entire night. My favorite Springsteen Albums are Darkness On The Edge Of Town and Nebraska but really it’s all amazing up through Tunnel Of Love. Then things get a bit less consistent. Also, he wrote/contributed to lots of other artists. Springsteen sings backup on Lou Reed’s Street Hassle and he wrote Patty Smyth’s Because The Night (later covered by Natalie Merchant’s 10,000 Maniacs) and The Pointer Sisters’ Fire. Springsteen is a fun rabbit hole to delve into. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

I love Greetings and The Wild. They are both SOOOO different than the Bruce most people know. Some of my faves: For You, NY Serenade, Rosalita (because it is one of the most fun songs live).

I love Greetings and The Wild. They are both SOOOO different than the Bruce most people know. Some of my faves: For You, NY Serenade, Rosalita (because it is one of the most fun songs live).
I'm listening to NY Serenade as I type this, just got to the part where the tempo picks up. So good! This album has been a blast. I feel like the whole thing would be an outstanding live experience. Tons going on in every song, I think this one's going to need multiple listens in the near future just to take everything in.

Back