Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

it wouldn't be personally, we'd be paying about $600 more per month in rent/utilities/etc. But it'd be substantially more for the money and based on the fact we're DINKs it wouldn't break the bank. Our current spend on housing is lower than we can afford.

We've been thinking about even condos or apartments, since they might actually be less than we pay for rent but we really, really want our own space, no HOAs, a nice yard, our own laundry, privacy, etc. Maybe live in a condo for a couple of years, if it still goes up in price, sell, make a little profit and then try and buy later. Idk...
How I miss being a DINK...

Glad you are being smart about it. I am hearing horror stories from friends of friends about FHA loans and huge amounts of debt with massive mortgage payments. I am worried that the next housing bubble is already expanding.

Glad you are being smart about it. I am hearing horror stories from friends of friends about FHA loans and huge amounts of debt with massive mortgage payments. I am worried that the next housing bubble is already expanding.
It's really crazy. Locally it's basically 1 house that comes on the market within our budget a week, sometimes less. If there was more inventory I don't think it'd be as bad. We're extremely qualified, 780+ credit scores, 15%-20% down (depending on cost), no major debts. There's just people going way over asking because there's not much on offer. There's really not much we can do other than wait it out and hope for more houses to pop up.

Yeah it’s frightening. Over here only is the market overheating because of lack of supply but the last time I spoke to a builder I know the cost of materials has shot up to the point that building a house is now 33% higher than before the pandemic, and that’s not factoring in the cost of the land in the first place. The market being squeezed in two or three directions does not bode well…

It's really crazy. Locally it's basically 1 house that comes on the market within our budget a week, sometimes less. If there was more inventory I don't think it'd be as bad. We're extremely qualified, 780+ credit scores, 15%-20% down (depending on cost), no major debts. There's just people going way over asking because there's not much on offer. There's really not much we can do other than wait it out and hope for more houses to pop up.
It's nuts where I live in VA too. House across the street from mine (similar condition), one less bedroom, one less bath and 1,000 less sq ft was listed for $100k more than we paid for ours 6 years ago went to pending within 3 days of being listed and my realtor friend told me it went above asking. Our house 6 years ago had been on the market for a year. Inventory is minimal right now, particularly walking distance to our downtown.

It's nuts where I live in VA too. House across the street from mine (similar condition), one less bedroom, one less bath and 1,000 less sq ft was listed for $100k more than we paid for ours 6 years ago went to pending within 3 days of being listed and my realtor friend told me it went above asking. Our house 6 years ago had been on the market for a year. Inventory is minimal right now, particularly walking distance to our downtown.
yup. A day after our offer wasn't selected, our realtor wanted to show us another house that had just came on the market which was at asking for only $10k over the top of our budget. It's probably a better house than the one we submitted an offer for. Central AC (very rare up here), has a garage, much newer appliances and kitchen cabinets, newer flooring, doors and paint. But we're holding firm that we do not want to pay more for a house even if it ticks more boxes. If this new one is listed $10k over asking, and everything is going for well over asking, there's no way we'd be able to afford it. Also not even factoring that interest rates keep going up like crazy. It's a shame because if we were looking at this particular house last year 1) it'd be easily $50k cheaper and 2) with a 3%~ or less interest rate it'd be only a couple hundred bucks more than our rent per month. We do not want to pay an extra $900-$1200 more per month. I'm hopeful that increasing interest rates drive down listing prices otherwise I don't know who can afford these houses.

yup. A day after our offer wasn't selected, our realtor wanted to show us another house that had just came on the market which was at asking for only $10k over the top of our budget. It's probably a better house than the one we submitted an offer for. Central AC (very rare up here), has a garage, much newer appliances and kitchen cabinets, newer flooring, doors and paint. But we're holding firm that we do not want to pay more for a house even if it ticks more boxes. If this new one is listed $10k over asking, and everything is going for well over asking, there's no way we'd be able to afford it. Also not even factoring that interest rates keep going up like crazy. It's a shame because if we were looking at this particular house last year 1) it'd be easily $50k cheaper and 2) with a 3%~ or less interest rate it'd be only a couple hundred bucks more than our rent per month. We do not want to pay an extra $900-$1200 more per month. I'm hopeful that increasing interest rates drive down listing prices otherwise I don't know who can afford these houses.
I anticipate that it will settle down, but only after all the supply chain choke points sort of play themselves out, which may be a few more years. It is important to stick to a budget for sure, because what people can get approved for and should actually borrow are two insanely different numbers sometimes.

houses in my town are regularly selling above market before they are even officially listed on major sites/MLS. not sure if people are automatically offering more so they won't list the houses or what...but it's pretty insane. we are on an express train to manhattan so lots of people moving out of NYC to the suburbs want to live around here. it also means that a lot of people who live around here don't want to move out. prior to the pandemic, the turnover here was very low.

someone just paid $355k over asking on a house a few doors down from us the other week and we didn't even see it go up for sale. it seems in our neighborhood, more houses are going up for sale than there were last year. there was very little inventory when we looked last year. lots of people near us are older (kids in college or graduated from college now) and it seems they figure it's a good time to sell and downsize. we really lucked out last year. paid under asking and didn't have much, if any, competition. i think we viewed the house three times before putting in an offer. it was a strange situation though--it's a very old house from 1870 that needs work over time (old central air, will need a new roof in the next 5 years or so, old windows and not great insulation). the owner was very eccentric and apparently turned down other offers. We weren't sure if those offers were lowballs or what. But she told us the house spoke to her and it liked us and wanted us to get the house. it has a large garden that needs a lot of work/maintenance because the last owner thought trees had feelings and she refused to prune anything and kept planting more trees and plants...Most people buying houses near here don't seem to want older houses where they have to go in and fix things up or anything that needs maintenance. the ones that have been renovated already around here sell instantly.

The house that just sold over asking near us sold for $170 more per square foot than our house. We bought ours less than a year ago. the whole thing is mental.

My house is pushing a 300K increase since we bought it 5 years ago.

My house is pushing a 300K increase since we bought it 5 years ago.
We are almost a 300K increase and bought in 2018. And this isn't just made up numbers, it's backed by comps that sold in the neighborhood (we have a somewhat cookie-cutter aesthetic)
someone just paid $355k over asking on a house a few doors down from us the other week and we didn't even see it go up for sale
We had a similar experience. Our neighbor told us he was moving so I wished him luck on the sale and he said "oh it's already sold, currently in escrow." Never saw a sign go up. I'm convinced there's some insider info the realtors know about and can point sellers toward cash buyers if they want to sell quickly without fanfare (and assuming well above asking). This was an older couple and they didn't have time to wait around.

We are almost a 300K increase and bought in 2018. And this isn't just made up numbers, it's backed by comps that sold in the neighborhood (we have a somewhat cookie-cutter aesthetic)

We had a similar experience. Our neighbor told us he was moving so I wished him luck on the sale and he said "oh it's already sold, currently in escrow." Never saw a sign go up. I'm convinced there's some insider info the realtors know about and can point sellers toward cash buyers if they want to sell quickly without fanfare (and assuming well above asking). This was an older couple and they didn't have time to wait around.
the people near us bought their house for 600k in 2014. sold it for 1.35 million in 2022.

from what we heard, there's a broker in our area that knows EVERYBODY. i think she has a young kid in the public schools and is friends with everyone. so she's the first to hear about any houses potentially going up for sale. i think the people who sold this house didn't even have a broker...they just hired a lawyer to deal with contracts because they knew they would have no issues selling it.

We are thinking about selling and have been in contact with a realtor. As a result, adds in my FB feed have popped up for cooperate buyers.

Prices have gotten so loopy in Toronto that our house has more than doubled in value in 6 years. Crappy unrenovated bungalows are regularly going for $1.5 million. It's absolute stupidity.

This semi detached a few blocks away from me, sold in 4 days for 1.45 million. A shade under $300,000 over asking.
Screenshot_20220325-124420_HouseSigma.jpg
Screenshot_20220325-124445_HouseSigma.jpgScreenshot_20220325-124449_HouseSigma.jpgScreenshot_20220325-124456_HouseSigma.jpg
Like, on one hand sure I'm happy that my house has appreciated in value, but on the other it's completely pointless because there's nowhere to go. You either move to the middle of no where for slightly less money, or you just move laterally within this idiotic market.

Last edited:
<snip>
Like, on one hand sure I'm happy that my house has appreciated in value, but on the other it's completely pointless because there's no where to go. You either move to the middle of no where for slightly less money, or you just move laterally within this idiotic market.
Yeah, this. I’m watching stuff around me go for 1.5-1.75 what was paid even just a year ago, but the whole market is batshit so really laterals are the only option. Hell of a time to get married and have a house to get rid of though (this is not me, just sayin).

Only problem with all these stupid inflated value is my property taxes are chasing these stupid values every time the county reappraises.

This semi detached a few blocks away from me, sold in 4 days for 1.45 million. A shade under $300,000 over asking.
View attachment 133436
View attachment 133437View attachment 133438View attachment 133439
Like, on one hand sure I'm happy that my house has appreciated in value, but on the other it's completely pointless because there's no where to go. You either move to the middle of no where for slightly less money, or you just move laterally within this idiotic market.
How many square meters?!

Also semi-detached has to be the dumbest realtor-speak for DUPLEX.

Back