Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

Anyone have a strong opinion on string trimmer/edgers? My walks look like hell because they got neglected last year. I have a corded electric one, but 1) it devours string unreasonably fast and 2) it’s probably time to move to a two-cycle big boy trimmer. Plus a gas trimmer should be able to handle thicker/tougher diameter string. Anyone have preferences/opinions on the trimmer or edging in general?

Anyone have a strong opinion on string trimmer/edgers? My walks look like hell because they got neglected last year. I have a corded electric one, but 1) it devours string unreasonably fast and 2) it’s probably time to move to a two-cycle big boy trimmer. Plus a gas trimmer should be able to handle thicker/tougher diameter string. Anyone have preferences/opinions on the trimmer or edging in general?
I had a gas trimmer and hated it. I got a battery powered one (Ego brand from Lowe's) and it works a lot better. Plenty powerful for regular yard work.

Interesting. I was literally just reading about that brand. No issue with the battery holding charge or anything?
I have a Black and Decker from about 10 years ago. The batteries do lose their ability to charge after 5 years or so and need replacing, but that goes for all the lithium batteries.

Unless you've got miles of edging to do two batteries should get the job done.

I have a Black and Decker from about 10 years ago. The batteries do lose their ability to charge after 5 years or so and need replacing, but that goes for all the lithium batteries.

Unless you've got miles of edging to do two batteries should get the job done.
That was my experience too (then finding out the batteries were discontinued, which was super annoying, so I went back to corded). But I have a corner lot a bit more than a quarter acre, plus drive/walkways so the cord is annoying. Also going through a spool of that string like every other weekend was aggravating.

That was my experience too (then finding out the batteries were discontinued, which was super annoying, so I went back to corded). But I have a corner lot a bit more than a quarter acre, plus drive/walkways so the cord is annoying. Also going through a spool of that string like every other weekend was aggravating.
All fair points. I don't know if the autofeed on yours was borked, but I've only replaced the spool on mine once...

Then again I hardly edge the sidewalk...

All fair points. I don't know if the autofeed on yours was borked, but I've only replaced the spool on mine once...

Then again I hardly edge the sidewalk...
I’ve checked it thinking the same thing. I think the B&D spools for the electric trimmers just use a much softer/thinner nylon string, and they use that weird toothed spool (that costs like $9 each) so you can’t really load it.

But this Ego seems to have sufficient power for an electric and use a heavy twisted line. Definitely feels like less of a PitA than messing with 2-cycle mixes.

Amazon product ASIN B08VRVVFHJ

Interesting. I was literally just reading about that brand. No issue with the battery holding charge or anything?
I haven't had any issues with the battery and it charges quick. Have had it for a year.

Just bought an Ego lawnmower, which works great and uses the same type of battery.

Put in an offer on Friday for a really nice house house about 2 minutes away from where we rent now for 25k over asking. Heard back today that the seller went with another offer. I was kind of expecting it, disappointed, but not surprised. The offer we submitted was literally at the top of our budget. With interest rates rising, I don't know if we'll be able to afford many houses popping on the market right now. Loose estimates our Mortgage advisor ran for us 3 months ago were like $200 less per month compared to the mortgage pre-approval we got just last week. So... something has to give. Will people want to buy these expensive houses with 5%+ interest rates? Will house prices decrease? Will people want to sell at maybe a lower rate just to catch the boom before it declines? Will it even decline at all?
Just put in an offer on house #2! I feel good about this one but who knows. All the comps make our offer realistic unless someone offers something crazy. We even waived inspection this time but the house was virtually spotless and nothing really needs fixing or changing that can’t be done down the line. 🤞🤞

As a result of my master bath reno we've been using the hall bath. I shit you not, in last two days the hall bath shower curtain rod and toilet seat have both broken. I think the hall bath knows it's next on the reno list and is starting to revolt.

So…we decided to tear out our old deck and start the groundwork for a concrete patio oasis

We had to dig a 2 ft deep trench for gas line
C8156121-03C2-427B-9421-8671108BFDF2.jpeg
Then one for electric for a future pond
A5BF5F0B-F4F9-45E1-AC63-B11DF079D93D.jpeg

Concrete company is here today to start building frames…more pics to come

Old deck picture..sort of 😂 very outdated 80’s style deck
0FDC3482-F002-4F03-AA86-51F01A8CAF80.jpeg

Back