Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

I’ve checked it thinking the same thing. I think the B&D spools for the electric trimmers just use a much softer/thinner nylon string, and they use that weird toothed spool (that costs like $9 each) so you can’t really load it.

But this Ego seems to have sufficient power for an electric and use a heavy twisted line. Definitely feels like less of a PitA than messing with 2-cycle mixes.

Amazon product ASIN B08VRVVFHJ
I just buy a premix from lowes, can lasts me like two years. Wife is gonna pay for landscaping/lawn keeping so I don't really care any more.

What's the design life on the shingles? Did you get someone selling you a 30 year?
Still waiting on the full quote. But we have a big roof. 3000 sq ft. But no, I know there is no such thing as a 30 year shingle. 15/20 tops

Sheet zinc and copper roofs are getting more common as a design touch on modern buildings over here, and they look stunning, but they are waaaaay more expensive than slate tiles.
Yeah, 2 to 3 times the price up here for metal. Aaaand you gotta make sure it's done right or you get paint coming off after a few years and warping etc...

in the spirit of the thread title...

We recently redid one of the half bathrooms in our house. A handyman we use for various tasks so far did the wallpapering and when I showed him the design he went "okay....interesting...." haha.

Eventually we'll swap out that fixture for something brass most likely...but most of the hard work is done now!

IMG_4139.JPG

We recently redid one of the half bathrooms in our house. A handyman we use for various tasks so far did the wallpapering and when I showed him the design he went "okay....interesting...." haha.

Eventually we'll swap out that fixture for something brass most likely...but most of the hard work is done now!

View attachment 137770
I really enjoy fun wallpaper. I really want to do something like this in our half bath.

Yeah, 2 to 3 times the price up here for metal. Aaaand you gotta make sure it's done right or you get paint coming off after a few years and warping etc...

Oh right. You’d rarely see painted metal. It’ll all be formed sheets of zinc or copper that would be crimped together, both being metals that oxidise without rusting as such. Copper in particular looks stunning as it goes that blue colour over time. But yeah, megabucks.

View attachment 137770

Yea I’m down for that wallpaper!

I have feelings about wallpaper that have nothing to do with how it looks and everything to do with the nightmare that is stripping it off walls and the mess it leaves behind 😂

I really enjoy fun wallpaper. I really want to do something like this in our half bath.
I have feelings about wallpaper that have nothing to do with how it looks and everything to do with the nightmare that is stripping it off walls and the mess it leaves behind 😂

I hear ya @Joe Mac . My wife and I really wanted to wallpaper a room in our house, and figured the smallest half bath was the place to do it out of a similar fear! Our downstairs is mostly painted white so it's a nice pop of color and pattern when you walk past in the downstairs hallway.

@nolalady you should go for it! You could always try the peel and stick wallpaper if you want something temporary or want to see what it might look like. There are SO many options nowadays especially on etsy. We went with a pattern we really liked but it had to be properly pasted/glued to the walls.

I hear ya @Joe Mac . My wife and I really wanted to wallpaper a room in our house, and figured the smallest half bath was the place to do it out of a similar fear! Our downstairs is mostly painted white so it's a nice pop of color and pattern when you walk past in the downstairs hallway.

@nolalady you should go for it! You could always try the peel and stick wallpaper if you want something temporary or want to see what it might look like. There are SO many options nowadays especially on etsy. We went with a pattern we really liked but it had to be properly pasted/glued to the walls.

Yeah wallpaper was big in the uk in the early 90s. I still have nightmares of helping my dad strip it off our hall, staircase and landing plus the wall was a mess, totally needed re plastering afterwards. A small downstairs bathroom is definitely not so much hassle!

Back