Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

Does anyone know when replacing a shower head if the entire neck and base plate needs to come out? If so, would I need to dig into the wall or is that not advised? @Lee Newman was that you that installed one?

View attachment 29747View attachment 29748
I don’t think I’ve ever had to mess with the neck in any of the 80 hojillion showerheads I’ve replaced. Unless you’re going to a completely different type (like standard to one of the rainfall/overhead or multi-spray) it should just unscrew from the end of the neck. The baseplate isn’t usually included, but it just slips over the neck.

I don’t think I’ve ever had to mess with the neck in any of the 80 hojillion showerheads I’ve replaced. Unless you’re going to a completely different type (like standard to one of the rainfall/overhead or multi-spray) it should just unscrew from the end of the neck. The baseplate isn’t usually included, but it just slips over the neck.
Was looking at this one, so might need some fancy schmancy installation

Shouldn’t, in fact that one should be less of a deal than mine was. If it is an odd size it should come with or you should be able to buy a coupler.

Mine had all kinds of weird measuring to do and had to be affixed to the tile below:
970C5B3E-371A-4D97-874E-C2C727EEC4D5.jpeg

918A133F-53B6-4FBC-A1B7-115160A034AD.jpeg

this bathroom is our last big project. I do have to do some patchwork in the grout, it’s degrading for some reason. But we are gonna basically rip all that out.

Look right behind the larger head in the photo - there’s a thread ring for the existing neck. Should just screw on with a little plumber’s tape. You’ll spend more time getting it out of the package than you will on installation.

Look right behind the larger head in the photo - there’s a thread ring for the existing neck. Should just screw on with a little plumber’s tape. You’ll spend more time getting it out of the package than you will on installation.
That last sentence was even true of my beast.

Yeah just chiming in late here but 1000% no, you don't need to mess with the neck, they're all built to connect to it. You'll likely need some plumbers tape around the threading of the neck when you screw the new one on to avoid drips and leaks but otherwise that should be it.

Hey @Melt Face Molly Drop if you go with that one from amazon, let us know how you like it. I want to put something a little nicer in our guest bathroom. Even repairing the shower in the master bath will mean using the other shower for a few days.
I put this one in back in the summer and dig it.

I think this is the newer model - mine looks like a solid one-piece when the hand sprayer is docked.

You all have instilled the confidence in me to move forward. Will let you know once my entire house is flooded and I’m using old Dan Fogelberg records as makeshift rafts.

You all have instilled the confidence in me to move forward. Will let you know once my entire house is flooded and I’m using old Dan Fogelberg records as makeshift rafts.
You'll be fine, just don't reef too hard on that neck, you don't want to break the connection inside the wall, it's usually a very simple process, just get an adjustable wrench and you should be good.

Dusty weekend of more demo in the basement. Ran into more problems than I hoped. Mainly the ceiling being a full 1/2 inch of plaster rather than drywall. Had to use a vibrating cutter to try and get through it to put up the top plate stud for the dividing wall. Nearly cut my thermostat wire in the process. Got the bottom plate set after much consternation of getting anchors to hold in the concrete. Still need an electrician to help relocate and rewire some lights so I'm at a bit of a standstill. Boo.

Last edited:
Oh my god guys, this is so bad ass!!!!
View attachment 30191

Of course the dude who installed set off my wife’s anxiety by reminding her we could have bought a car for the price of it.

Man I want to replace my front door. The one we have is horrific and doesn't match the house at all. Also my wife is concerned about security issues. It has the windows on either side like yours. But you know there is the roof and exterior paint first. The goal is to refinance and use the extra money to get a home improvement loan.

I'm trying do all the landscaping myself, but at some point I'll need someone to regrade my yard. I was thinking about doing it myself. It's a big job though. right now there is a hole in my yard where I moved dirt from one area into a planting bed.

Man I want to replace my front door. The one we have is horrific and doesn't match the house at all. Also my wife is concerned about security issues. It has the windows on either side like yours. But you know there is the roof and exterior paint first. The goal is to refinance and use the extra money to get a home improvement loan.

I'm trying do all the landscaping myself, but at some point I'll need someone to regrade my yard. I was thinking about doing it myself. It's a big job though. right now there is a hole in my yard where I moved dirt from one area into a planting bed.
Yeah, I’ve basically been failing miserably at landscaping the entire time we’ve had the house.

Back