Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

Man you wouldn’t have to do much to get the landscaping together.

I forget if you are north or South Carolina

Man you wouldn’t have to do much to get the landscaping together.

I forget if you are north or South Carolina
Thanks for the link! I think I’m gonna start by seeing if I can the grass to do better in the very front this year.

Thanks for the link! I think I’m gonna start by seeing if I can the grass to do better in the very front this year.
Yep bought some seed and have a list for Lowe’s on tuesday. Will spend the next couple of weeks cleaning up out there and then gonna spend a weekend tilling and seeding.

Yep bought some seed and have a list for Lowe’s on tuesday. Will spend the next couple of weeks cleaning up out there and then gonna spend a weekend tilling and seeding.

Did you get seed that was native to your area. When you do that it’s much more low maintenance and you can let it go a little wild. Throw some wild flower seeds in there. Every spring you’ll be twirling around singing tunes from The Sound Of Music.

Did you get seed that was native to your area. When you do that it’s much more low maintenance and you can let it go a little wild. Throw some wild flower seeds in there. Every spring you’ll be twirling around singing tunes from The Sound Of Music.
I got stuff that grows well here. We’ll see. I’m doing a Kentucky Blue (because I like it) and tall Fescue (which I think is native) because it will let help the blue do better with our climate/soil.

I’ll probably do some wild flower in the back yards. We’ll see how this goes.

Where did you do research for doors? Did the installer give you options or did you find one you liked and then find an installer?
I did some looking at doors at home improvement stores. Then when we bought the roof, we ended up doing shingles instead of a metal roof and had the same company do the door. Wasn’t cheap. Probably could have gotten it cheaper, but my father-in-law had used this company before and they not only do great work but when they accidentally destroyed a piece of the interior ceiling, they replaced the entire ceiling (hard wood) instead of just doing a patch.

We have decent wood paneling on all the walls except the one that I'll need to build. The paneling will get painted. The tricky part is the ceilings where there aren't many lights and none of the switches seem to control the one's that are there. The carpet is getting replaced and some other minor things like replacing outlets and switches to a white color.

The bar has been removed because of all the water issues and I'm putting in a stud wall to add some more unfinished space for storage. The good news is that there are still water and drain lines that I can use for a utility sink in the unfinished area.

You can see that there is only one real light fixture and the photographer took this photo on super long exposure to get it too look that bright. That square recessed light is gonna be the bugaboo since I have no clue how to pull it out and still save a ton of patch work in the ceiling. At any rate I'm sure we'll need to get an electrician, plumber, and carpet guy.
View attachment 24625

Status update. Can lights and new LED panels are in and are already making me hyper aware of how much I need new carpet and to paint the wood paneling. New wall will go up where the paneling stops currently so the work bench can disappear.

7568AFFB-BA6B-48A0-85CC-2E0D378AB25F.jpeg65D0DD7A-5A2B-4238-9B84-7A929B495B68.jpeg

Status update. Can lights and new LED panels are in and are already making me hyper aware of how much I need new carpet and to paint the wood paneling. New wall will go up where the paneling stops currently so the work bench can disappear.

View attachment 35390View attachment 35391
I love the paneling. Love it. I'm not kidding. Is it real or veneer?

I actually haven’t checked. I thinks about an 1/8” hardwood/plywood with a different veneer on the front.

EDIT: Found a piece in the garage. Can confirm 1/8” plywood with veneer on both sides. Still hard stuff not MDF by any means.
Ah. I still love it, but veneer is still veneer. Just turn it into an arcade and you're gold. NEON SIGNS EVERYWHERE.

Fucking WHAT. That is sick, it looks like it houses avenging spirits, holy shit I want.

That bar is what Ozzy Osbourne thought about when he wrote every song between 1970-73.
My parents bought it at an estate sale in Cleveland in the 70s and were going to get rid of it and I was not going to let that happen. My wife hates it. I would sooner lose the wife than this.

Don’t tell her that.

My parents bought it at an estate sale in Cleveland in the 70s and were going to get rid of it and I was not going to let that happen. My wife hates it. I would sooner lose the wife than this.

Don’t tell her that.
I have no doubt in my mind if you were to ever rid yourself of that bar that it would silently return to your house one night for retribution and maybe some light ritual sacrifice.

Replaced the old useless lights in the garage with some of the old lights from the kitchen. Moral of the story is don’t throw something away that you can use somewhere else in the house. Probably saved $100 from not having to buy new.

image.jpg

Back