Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

My parents bought it at an estate sale in Cleveland in the 70s and were going to get rid of it and I was not going to let that happen. My wife hates it. I would sooner lose the wife than this.

Don’t tell her that.
I am absolutely certain that my wife would also dig that bar. I wants.

Installed a new light fixture in our entryway this morning. The spots to secure the light fixture bracket to the light box were stripped away to hell so instead of going through the trouble of replacing the whole box I used some heavy duty screws to get it in there as tight as possible. Still has about a quarter inch hang down but it's not noticable unless you look.

15842908171294478050583505188665.jpg

Installed a new light fixture in our entryway this morning. The spots to secure the light fixture bracket to the light box were stripped away to hell so instead of going through the trouble of replacing the whole box I used some heavy duty screws to get it in there as tight as possible. Still has about a quarter inch hang down but it's not noticable unless you look.

View attachment 36506
I absolutely hate when boxes are the wrong size, or the screws are stripped to hell, or the hole is in just slightly off-center from the position that I wanted.

Also, not sure if it's your aesthetic but I highly recommend the LED version of the Edison bulbs for these exposed bulb fixtures. I have them in my dining room and in the entryway vaulted ceiling. The look very convincing and last forever.

Bunker-bros 4 lyfe! Were those tiles asbestos?
Haha you know it. I tested a whole bunch of stuff secretly before I put an offer in. Linoleum asbestos tiles in the basement, one asbestos plaster wall in the basement and vermiculite in the attic, disclosed the lab reports to the owner, put the offer in and told him he had to pay to get it removed. $23,000 dollars later I've got a clean house and no floor in my basement...

I absolutely hate when boxes are the wrong size, or the screws are stripped to hell, or the hole is in just slightly off-center from the position that I wanted.

Also, not sure if it's your aesthetic but I highly recommend the LED version of the Edison bulbs for these exposed bulb fixtures. I have them in my dining room and in the entryway vaulted ceiling. The look very convincing and last forever.

Yeah I also just finished putting up the last two light fixtures in my basement and the VERY LAST ONE had the same problem. I about lost it!

I agree on the aesthetic! I'll probably switch to them but I have 2 boxes of these to go through first (also LEDs). It...might be awhile. Lol

Haha you know it. I tested a whole bunch of stuff secretly before I put an offer in. Linoleum asbestos tiles in the basement, one asbestos plaster wall in the basement and vermiculite in the attic, disclosed the lab reports to the owner, put the offer in and told him he had to pay to get it removed. $23,000 dollars later I've got a clean house and no floor in my basement...
Nice. Glad they accepted that offer, because I know if I was try to sell and some guy handed me a 23k bill to even consider the offer I would politely tell him to get bent. 😄

Nice. Glad they accepted that offer, because I know if I was try to sell and some guy handed me a 23k bill to even consider the offer I would politely tell him to get bent. 😄
Yeah the reasoning was, because I had it all lab tested, he was now forced to disclose to any further prospective buyers what was in there. So most would just walk, I was standing there with a cheque in my hand waiting for him to sign. It had been on the market for about a month at this point and it was late December. He knew he didn't have much of a choice. Not to mention this guy was a ROYAL pain in the ass to both me and his own real estate agent, so much so that HIS agent was basically talking directly to ME about how to get HIM to sign because she just wanted to be rid of him...

Last edited:
Yeah the reasoning was, because I had it all lab tested, he was now forced to disclose to any further prospective buyers what was in there. So most would just walk, I was standing there with a cheque in my hand waiting for him to sign. It had been on the market for about a month at this point and it was late December. He knew he didn't have much of a choice. Not to mention this guy was a ROYAL pain in the ass to both me and his own real estate agent, so much so that HIS agent was basically talking directly to ME about how to get HIM to sign because she just wanted to be rid of him...
That was some good thinking. I probably could have pursued our seller after the fact because on the disclosure sheet he said there were no known issues with Radon. We of course had it tested and the levels were high, but he said and signed that there were no known issues to him. 2 months after moving in, I found a still sealed envelope of his Radon results in the garage. They were higher than what we showed when we tested. If I had the time I should have called our realtor to see if we could stick him for more, but at that point he had already agreed to credit the ale price for the cost of remediation. Still bugs me that he signed that shit knowing he had sent tests in months prior.

That was some good thinking. I probably could have pursued our seller after the fact because on the disclosure sheet he said there were no known issues with Radon. We of course had it tested and the levels were high, but he said and signed that there were no known issues to him. 2 months after moving in, I found a still sealed envelope of his Radon results in the garage. They were higher than what we showed when we tested. If I had the time I should have called our realtor to see if we could stick him for more, but at that point he had already agreed to credit the ale price for the cost of remediation. Still bugs me that he signed that shit knowing he had sent tests in months prior.
Yeah similar shit with my guy... I'm having the radon tested after the reno's are finished, I assume you put in an air recycler in the window to clear it? Or did you go under floor?

Yeah similar shit with my guy... I'm having the radon tested after the reno's are finished, I assume you put in an air recycler in the window to clear it? Or did you go under floor?
Below the slab and into the crawl space with a heavy duty barrier. Typical outdoor sealed fan and pvc vent. The crawl space was the bulk of the cost.

I heard that you can get the rough surface area of your roof off of google maps. Anyone know how to do this. Its for rain collection purposes

I heard that you can get the rough surface area of your roof off of google maps. Anyone know how to do this. Its for rain collection purposes
I use GoogleEarth and there is a measure tool where you can switch to area and draw a polygon. Just make sure to go to the View tab and reset the tilt otherwise the skewed viewpoint could screw up your calcs.
1585142124846.png

Back