Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

Our garbage disposal is leaking from the bottom, specifically from the reset button. Internet tells me I don't have much recourse here other than replacing or trying to get the reset fixed (likely not worth it). I'd say the unit is between 2-3 years old, and has a 2 year warranty if the previous owners left the material behind.

Any suggestions for attempting to fix it? If not, any recommendations for replacements and whether self-installation is recommending (minimal experience but can follow YouTube instructions well).

Our garbage disposal is leaking from the bottom, specifically from the reset button. Internet tells me I don't have much recourse here other than replacing or trying to get the reset fixed (likely not worth it). I'd say the unit is between 2-3 years old, and has a 2 year warranty if the previous owners left the material behind.

Any suggestions for attempting to fix it? If not, any recommendations for replacements and whether self-installation is recommending (minimal experience but can follow YouTube instructions well).
It’s very unlikely you can repair the leak. These units are self contained and not user serviceable. They should last about 10 years as long as you aren’t abusing them with solvents or other things the literature tells you not to put in them. Replacing one is a fairly simple matter. I did mine in under an hour. Be sure to turn off power at the breaker and not trust the switch to keep you safe while you have the circuit exposed.

Even if you could fix one the labor involved would be greater than replacement because repair would still involve removal and replacement. Furthermore, if the seals are shot so are the other components, just replace with a decent new one. I think I spent about $150 on a solid unit with a decent warranty.

Tried my hand at reupholstering.
Quick back story - When my mom passed 20 years ago I acquired her kitchen table and chairs and have been using them in my kitchen. The chair pads got pretty worn over the years (the chair bases are still in pretty good shape) so I figured I'd try this instead of buying something else.

I stripped away the old cloth, ditched the old pads, pulled out the 1,034 staples (give or take) and re-used the wood base; I just flipped it over so I had a smoother, hole-free side to affix the new cloth to.
I purchased just a few yards of cloth and and four pads for mere dollars.

I just did one so far, but now that the trial chair is done I can confidently move on to the other three. Once all four are done it will definitely brighten up the kitchen, I'll post pics whenever I get them all done.

Bottom line: It was fairly easy, but I'll have to see how they wear/hold up in the short and long term.

20190601_115953.jpg20190601_115959.jpg20190601_125853.jpg20190630_120026.jpg20191029_192930.jpg

Tried my hand at reupholstering.
Quick back story - When my mom passed 20 years ago I acquired her kitchen table and chairs and have been using them in my kitchen. The chair pads got pretty worn over the years (the chair bases are still in pretty good shape) so I figured I'd try this instead of buying something else.

I stripped away the old cloth, ditched the old pads, pulled out the 1,034 staples (give or take) and re-used the wood base; I just flipped it over so I had a smoother, hole-free side to affix the new cloth to.
I purchased just a few yards of cloth and and four pads for mere dollars.

I just did one so far, but now that the trial chair is done I can confidently move on to the other three. Once all four are done it will definitely brighten up the kitchen, I'll post pics whenever I get them all done.

Bottom line: It was fairly easy, but I'll have to see how they wear/hold up in the short and long term.

View attachment 21107View attachment 21108View attachment 21109View attachment 21110View attachment 21111
I need to do this with my chairs. They have the grossest seats and pads. I think the kids are now old enough that I can replace the seats and covers without them totally wrecking it.

I need to do this with my chairs. They have the grossest seats and pads. I think the kids are now old enough that I can replace the seats and covers without them totally wrecking it.

It was easier than I thought, or I did it poorly....I guess I'll see which is true in time. I just watched a Youtube vid and then went for it.

It was easier than I thought, or I did it poorly....I guess I'll see which is true in time. I just watched a Youtube vid and then went for it.
I've stretched canvas over a frame and staple gunned it. I hope this isn't much more difficult than canvas building.

We bought a new washer machine with self water regulation and a glass top. Now I watch the laundry like it’s tv. I’m such a nerd.

So, we just signed the paperwork for a new roof, gutter system and front door. Guess I should before and after picture for you guys at some point.

Sanding drywall is a pain in the ass. Sanding drywall on the ceiling is a nightmare.

Gotta get it done before cabinets are delivered next week. Eek!

Finishing the sanding last night. Got the sponging done too to remove any extra dust and vacuumed the entire basement.

Cabinets and bar area vinyl flooring was delivered this morning. Time to schedule installations!

Finishing the sanding last night. Got the sponging done too to remove any extra dust and vacuumed the entire basement.

Cabinets and bar area vinyl flooring was delivered this morning. Time to schedule installations!

First coat of paint done. Second coat tonight. Bar cabinets installed tomorrow and Wednesday if needed. Carpet on Friday. Vinyl floor around the bar on Dec 18th. Countertop measurements on Dec 10th. Assuming the countertop doesn't get cut and installed super quick, we'll have everything but that done by Christmas!

Anybody have experience with removing carpet glue from a basement concrete floor? What are my options? Just trying to get a paintable surface and trying to keep dust to a minimum because of silica dust.

Anybody have experience with removing carpet glue from a basement concrete floor? What are my options? Just trying to get a paintable surface and trying to keep dust to a minimum because of silica dust.
Boiling and scraping/scrubbing, rinse repeat.

You can use super noxious chemicals but being in the basement it will ventilate into your house.

Instead boil water in a 5-10gal kettle and lay towels over the glue. Pour the boiling water on the towels and let sit for a minute or two to soften. Remove the towels and start scraping. Extra tough spots come up with a stiff brush and a hot water and ammonia solution.

It's negative fun multiplied by each square foot you have to do.

Boiling and scraping/scrubbing, rinse repeat.

You can use super noxious chemicals but being in the basement it will ventilate into your house.

Instead boil water in a 5-10gal kettle and lay towels over the glue. Pour the boiling water on the towels and let sit for a minute or two to soften. Remove the towels and start scraping. Extra tough spots come up with a stiff brush and a hot water and ammonia solution.

It's negative fun multiplied by each square foot you have to do.
Luckily it's maybe a 5x10 foot area. I was going to give an 8" razor knife a go, but now I'm reading things about asbestos (of course).

The good news is I plan on replacing the old carpet with new carpet, so there isn't a need for 800 square feet of scraping...

What cha growing?
They are all California native. So less watering and no fertilizer.
Plant list:

2 Baja bush sunflower: Encelia ventorum
2 California Fuchsia: Epilobium canum
1 Woolly Blue Curl: Trichostema lanatum
1 California Lilac: caenothus Matilijia Bob

Seasonal: ca poppy, lupine, yarrow, and desert marigold.

If you wanna check out what they will look like full grown and in the wild

Last edited:
Back