Hi-Fi furniture

I got myself a 2X4 Kallax that I plan on standing upright next to the storage I have now. My main question is how can I easily secure this to my wall? I have a baseboard that I am not removing. Should I just go ahead and bolt it or should I put a piece of wood behind there first? I mean bolt the wood to the wall and then bolt the unit to that. Should I use the top screws of the unit to bolt it? Thanks in advance.

I got myself a 2X4 Kallax that I plan on standing upright next to the storage I have now. My main question is how can I easily secure this to my wall? I have a baseboard that I am not removing. Should I just go ahead and bolt it or should I put a piece of wood behind there first? I mean bolt the wood to the wall and then bolt the unit to that. Should I use the top screws of the unit to bolt it? Thanks in advance.

The fixings should be big enough to reach regardless of the baseboard but, in my experience, it doesn’t need fixing. Once it’s full/nearly full of vinyl the weight puts it in compression so it gets stronger and it’s so heavy that it isn’t going anywhere!

Do you have kids? If you don’t, @Joe Mac is correct with his advice.
The fixings should be big enough to reach regardless of the baseboard but, in my experience, it doesn’t need fixing. Once it’s full/nearly full of vinyl the weight puts it in compression so it gets stronger and it’s so heavy that it isn’t going anywhere!
If you do have kids, his advice is complete rubbish. I use L brackets or steel cabling to secure furniture to the walls. Also, make sure you fasten the attachment device to a wall stud. 👍

I have no kids. If I did they’d be glued to the wall with no more nails because that’s how I roll...

Not really, I’d use the L brackets, I’m just in a funny mood tonight....

I feel that on reflection and for the purposes of clarity I need to assert that I meant the unit not the children, I would not glue my hypothetical children to the wall...

Last edited:
My Kallax is good to go. Really like it. Lots of room now versus a cramped set of bookshelves. Room to grow. Used my old bookshelf that held most of my non-VMP records to now house my UT memorabilia. Have enough room now that there’s sections on the top for my A-Z records, MOFI has two sections. Classics, Anthology and Blue Note release are all together. RHH and non-VMP rap have two sections. VMP AOTM/Essentials is all together on one shelf. Bottom is open with misc and rarely listened to seasonal sections like Christmas and Classical music, books, and old work items. Above I’m going to put my 3 posters from The National shows I’ve been to. Very satisfied. Easy to put together. Love Ikea.C919A23F-C3AD-4590-81B3-DC407ABDAA0A.jpeg

Anybody using doors on a Kallax? If so, do records still fit in them? I'm planning to pick a Kallax up for storage but I think the wife likes the clean aesthetic with doors.
I’ve got doors on the two bottom corners of a 4x4 and 12” records will fit fine. In the photo with the open door it shows a crate of 7”s, a few 10”s to the right and 12”s in the middle (I don’t keep 12”s in there normally).

The door insert has 3 sides to it, so it attaches to the left and right sides but also has a back to it. If you push the 12”s all the way to the back, the records will fit on the side with the hinges. If you pack records in there tightly, you’ll have to remove a few middle ones to get at the ones behind the hinge.

Long story longer: it works fine!

Anybody using doors on a Kallax? If so, do records still fit in them? I'm planning to pick a Kallax up for storage but I think the wife likes the clean aesthetic with doors.
I've got doors and drawers on my 2x4. My only recommendation is take your time with screwing them into the sides of the Kallax since you have to use a flimsy guide piece of plastic and brute force to set the screws. In hindsight, I should have predilled with a very small diameter bit.

View attachment 10822View attachment 10823
I’ve got doors on the two bottom corners of a 4x4 and 12” records will fit fine. In the photo with the open door it shows a crate of 7”s, a few 10”s to the right and 12”s in the middle (I don’t keep 12”s in there normally).

The door insert has 3 sides to it, so it attaches to the left and right sides but also has a back to it. If you push the 12”s all the way to the back, the records will fit on the side with the hinges. If you pack records in there tightly, you’ll have to remove a few middle ones to get at the ones behind the hinge.

Long story longer: it works fine!
Awesome, exactly what I was hoping to hear. That will please my better half.

That green with the white feet is sharp!
I've got doors and drawers on my 2x4. My only recommendation is take your time with screwing them into the sides of the Kallax since you have to use a flimsy guide piece of plastic and brute force to set the screws. In hindsight, I should have predilled with a very small diameter bit.
Good to know! I can see how that could make this tough. I still have to go out and get these, but I'm pumped to do so. We just moved and I don't have a spot for my TT and vinyl at the moment so I'm itching to do so.

I used to be a big proponent of hi-fi furniture many years ago, but I've moved away from it. It's not even about price, but the aesthetics and functionality. I just don't think they offer superior isolation compared to a good credenza or console. Depending on your aesthetics, you're simply better off getting a mid-century credenza or console to house your hi-fi gear. Most of them have the depth to house big amps, turntables etc.

No hi-fi furniture regardless of price will be better quality than a quality credenza and they won't be heirloom pieces. Your grandchildren won't be excited about your quadraspire, finite elemente, or solid steel hi-fi rack, trust me. If you're going to spend that kind of money, just get real furniture that will stand the test of time and that will always be relevant.

Looking for an audio stand / cabinet. suggestions. I've checked out the Pangea Vulcan and the Monoblock from Monoprice. Both are fine but neither look very good imo. I'm not super handy and don't want to deal with the hardware store during a pandemic so building my own is probably out.

Any audio furniture options that you all know of that provide good ventilation, don't look terrible, and will hold an amp that's fairly large???

Back