Hi-Fi furniture

apassant

Currently looking for an Hi-Fi rack, since I've decided to switch from an integrated Pioneer NC-50 to separates, I thought it would be good to get advices from the N&G community!

So, what furniture do you have for your hardware (and records, actually)?

I currently have Ikea Eket cubes (used to be Kallax, but found the Eket better with their backwall, even though they're too small for box sets) on top of which I have my amp and TT.

Something like a Norstone Esse would be great, but is there any cheaper alternative or Ikea hacks I should think of? I've seen a few no-name stands on Amazon too, but not sure about the quality. 10kg per shelf should be enough for my current needs.

Of course, besides the initial question, I'd be more than happy to see this thread morph into a general Hi-Fi furniture / record storage one (pics welcome 😎)

This is moving the wrong direction financially, but I really like my VTI racks. Looks good, easily holds all the weight I plan to throw at it, and fits my current needs. In the future I’d consider moving to a different size/layout. Solid steel stuff is also nice, but I think a bit overpriced for what it is. But if you can get a good deal on it, it’s worth it.

The main thing here is I know some people don’t put much stock in dedicated Hi-Fi racks, but when it comes to vinyl I think it helps.

Now for actual record storage, kallax until I can get some price no object custom furniture.

Again moving in the wrong direction I got one of these over from the U.K. a few years back and got extra levels for it when I upgraded the system earlier this year. Nice quality (real wood veneers) and I think it looks good.

Currently looking for an Hi-Fi rack, since I've decided to switch from an integrated Pioneer NC-50 to separates, I thought it would be good to get advices from the N&G community!

I currently have Ikea Eket cubes (used to be Kallax, but found the Eket better with their backwall, even though they're too small for box sets) on top of which I have my amp and TT.

Something like a Norstone Esse would be great, but is there any cheaper alternative or Ikea hacks I should think of? I've seen a few no-name stands on Amazon too, but not sure about the quality. 10kg per shelf should be enough for my current needs.

Of course, besides the initial question, I'd be more than happy to see this thread morph into a general Hi-Fi furniture / record storage one (pics welcome 😎)

Im planning to make a better option for my records and turntable storage than I currently have.

My plan involves using three 2x4 Kallax. They’ll be laid horizontally (2 up 4 across) with top and bottom kallax left as normal for record storage but the middle kallax I am planning on leaving out the middle section and just having 2 cubes up on the far left and right for record storage.

The big open space in the middle I plan on building a shelf about 1/3 of the way up as a shelf for my turntable. I am going to put in some LED strips in for lighting.

Underneath will have enough space for my cleaning accessories, inner/outer sleeves etc or maybe an Amp. I think an Amp might be a little too deep after speakers cables and interconnects are in place so I’m also considering putting in a Bluetooth transmitter to send the preamp signal to a connecting recover to where my Amp currently is.

I’m pretty lazy on the follow through though. So I’d give it some time before you see some pics. The longest journey starts with single step towards IKEA.

did @folsom_lives ever get their Wrensilva?
LOL. Long story. Disputed the charge after CDM Constructors showed up as the vendor on my credit card. Currently waiting for info from my card company but they did provide info from the vendor that has a China Post tracking number that seems completely bogus. I'll eventually win the dispute but this is taking longer than I'd anticipated to resolve.

Have a question about the Kallax. I am looking at purchasing one of the 2x4 for now. Since I have a baseboard the shelf will not be flush with the wall. How can I remedy this?

I don't think that's a big issue. If you're concerned that the records might not be aligned because you can push them or some too far, there's also the Eket range, that has a solid back, even though it's too tight for boxsets.

I don't think that's a big issue. If you're concerned that the records might not be aligned because you can push them or some too far, there's also the Eket range, that has a solid back, even though it's too tight for boxsets.

I tested and I found something that fills a need right now. I got a LAPPLAND tv storage unit. I tested there to be sure it'd fit. I needed storage and something for my tv. I l know I can always expand with the KALLAX. With my baseboard I will have to mount it with a gap so I will get small L brackets or pool noodles to be like a backing.

Yeah this doesn’t concern me too much either. It used to bother me a bit in theory, but there’s no part of the record itself that would be making contact with a solid shelf that is compromised in the .5” hang over from a Kallax against a baseboard.

Well after many attempts my piece is going back to IKEA. Nothing but frustration. The holes were not drilled correctly. Some of the dowells wouldn't fit. It was a nightmare. How easy are Kallax to put up or will I have the same issues?

Well after many attempts my piece is going back to IKEA. Nothing but frustration. The holes were not drilled correctly. Some of the dowells wouldn't fit. It was a nightmare. How easy are Kallax to put up or will I have the same issues?

Remarkably straightforward. I’m useless and I fly through putting them up now!

The Pangea Vulcan racks go for $129.00 at audioadvisor.com. Worth a look you can also buy extra shelves if you need to expand.

Back