Gadzooks! Its the December Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread!

12/2 - The Star Wars Holiday Special: This heartwarming story of Chewbacca’s wife, father, and son Lumpy eagerly awaiting his return for Life Day is notable for the introduction of Boba Fett. Play a debut release or something that introduces a musician for the first time.

R.E.M. - Murmur

I don't know if these guys ever went on to do anything else, but their debut album is pretty good!

20231204_183838.jpg

12/5 - Krampus: Krampusnacht is celebrated on December 5th, and both the myth and the movie revolve around a demon who punishes naughty children. Play something you think would scare a child.

What could possibly be more terrifying to a child than their mother being murdered.

That sonofabitch Walt Disney was very good at scaring children. For every Steamboat Willie there was an orphan.

Walt Disney's Bambi

20231205_012243.jpg

12/5 - Krampus: Krampusnacht is celebrated on December 5th, and both the myth and the movie revolve around a demon who punishes naughty children. Play something you think would scare a child.

What could possibly be more terrifying to a child than their mother being murdered.

That sonofabitch Walt Disney was very good at scaring children. For every Steamboat Willie there was an orphan.

Walt Disney's Bambi

View attachment 189619

Yeah, this was a failed attempt to take a very young @avecigrec to the theater -> I still have the tiniest glimpse of a memory of having to leave the theater in tears.

1701760092021.png

Just noticed i think i do not have too many scary records, but this at least got lullaby.
Fun fact: i think the first time i heard about krampus was from American books and movies when i was an adult. It's only a traditional myth in southern parts of Germany and not much of a topic on the rest. Seems generally more popular in the us than over here

Last edited:

Come Together definitely scared me as a kid. The ominous bass line and the lyrics referring to toe-jam football, monkey finger, Ju-Ju eyeballs weren't good for a kid with a strong imagination.

Also, I didn't know until today that there are actual lyrics outside of the verses, with "Shoot Me" where I always assumed it was just a "shooop" leading in the bass line.

Beatles ~ Abbey Road

IMG_4826.jpeg

Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein "Stranger Things Volume 1" (2016 Lakeshore Records)
I'll play this because it actually scared a child. My daughter was and is a big Stranger Things fan, so it's at once weird and probably explains why this score creeped her out. I played it one night about 6-7 years ago and after about 15 minutes she told me to turn it off because she was scared. Only time she ever did that,

IMG_0719.JPG

12/3 - The Johnny Cash Holiday Special: Johnny Cash had a number of holiday specials over the years. He also wrote a song (that was one of my son’s early favorites) called “Look at them Beans” about green beans. Given that December 3rd is also National Green Bean Casserole day, play something about food. Or by Johnny Cash.

IMG_6474.JPG

12/4 - The Santa Clause: In this movie Tim Allen takes over for Santa after he scares Santa and knocks him off a roof, killing him. Play something where a member of the band is a replacement for a previous member.

Chad broke his arm, Guy gets the call, the rest is history.

IMG_6475.JPG

12/3 - The Johnny Cash Holiday Special: Johnny Cash had a number of holiday specials over the years. He also wrote a song (that was one of my son’s early favorites) called “Look at them Beans” about green beans. Given that December 3rd is also National Green Bean Casserole day, play something about food. Or by Johnny Cash.

Calexico - Feast of Wire

Wire isn't the most delicious thing out there, but a feast is a feast.

20231205_184436.jpg

I think the movie would scare a small child, but it didn't seem too bad to me - but I can't go a Krampusnacht and not play the score. This also is the first Christmas music of the season for me.

Fröhliche Krampusnacht!!!!!!!!!!

Douglas Pipes – Krampus
Waxwork Records – WW025, 2016

"Candy Cane Swirl" variant

Cut by David Cheppa at Plush Vinyl

QsrqyXS.jpg

M65y8QH.jpg

12/4 - The Santa Clause: In this movie Tim Allen takes over for Santa after he scares Santa and knocks him off a roof, killing him. Play something where a member of the band is a replacement for a previous member.

Baroness - Stone

The prompt doesn't say that it has to be the first album with the new members, so... Baroness is a band where everyone in the band is a replacement except lead singer/guitarist John Baizley, although the current line-up has been stable since 2018 or so.

20231201_121425.jpg

12/6 - Christmas at Pee-Wee’s Playhouse: This special had a deep roster of guest stars, including Grace Jones singing “Little Drummer Boy”. Play something with a featured guest on an album.

I'm not sure I've told this story before, but I spent the summer of 1988 reading fan mail for a few people. Michael Jackson, Don Johnson, Lionel Richie, and Pee-Wee Herman. All their mail was filtered through their fan club and we'd read the mail, filter out the ones that needed to go to legal or security, and then respond back to the rest with a form letter to join the fan club. One of the perks that summer was that I got to the Hollywood Premiere of Big Top Pee-Wee, to which I rolled up to the valet at the Manns Chinese Theater in my 1983 Honda Civic Wagon with Grateful Dead stickers on the back.

Anyway, one of the stars of Big Top Pee-Wee is Kris Kristofferson, whose song "Me and Bobby McGee" is covered on this album. And Ry Cooder makes a guest appearance on that track playing the slide guitar.

Gordon Lightfoot ~ If You Could Read My Mind

IMG_4843.jpeg

Day 03: The Johnny Cash Holiday Special
play something about food or by Johnny Cash.
Neil Vincent Emerson - Fried Chicken & Evil Women
IMG_9960.jpeg
Obviously their is a reference to food right in the title but also the album contains the track, “Cactus Blossom Special” which is most certainly an homage to Cash’s own “Orange Blossom Special”.

Back