Gadzooks! Its the December Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread!

Day 1: Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol

I tried to dig really far back for today, but there aren’t really any Xmas records I remember from way in the past outside of individual songs and I don’t remember when exactly I was given the CDs & records I’ve been gifted whether it be my birthday, Xmas, etc. I do vividly remember the Christmas I was given this tho…

*sigh* I’m sorry… 😓

R. Kelly - Untitled

IMG_7698.jpeg

He used to be one of my favourite artists back in the day (the remix to “Ignition” was one of the first Hip Hop/R&B songs I’d ever heard & a family favourite) and this was one of the first CDs of his I got, a Xmas gift from my auntie Donna.

Look, I was 13. I didn’t know any better.

It really is a ghost of the past bcuz I haven’t heard this album in about 12 years, and musically speaking it’s aged rather poorly (even outside of the artist). A lot of it sounds like the club R&B that was really popular in ‘08/‘09 that I usually don’t mind, but I’ve never liked that sound coming from him.

12/1 - Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol: This is the first animated Christmas special, aired in 1962. This is also the first version of A Christmas Carol that appears on this month's playthrough, so play something that you would consider a ghost of Christmas Past.

Freddie Hubbard – Red Clay
View attachment 189285

Only two years in the past, mind, but this was part of my first N&G Secret Santa package from @Ponman2003 (Julien Baker made it into last month's Challenge) - I don't remember if this was on my Discogs wishlist at the time but of the 3 jazz records he included (all great!) this was the one I was most excited about, as it was high on my want list at the time. Still love it every time I throw it on.
I still can't believe I found that in the half-off bin of Barnes&Noble. Shit was tight!

12/1 - Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Caroline Rose This is the first animated Christmas special, aired in 1962. This is also the first version of A Christmas Carol that appears on this months playthrough, so play something that you would consider a ghost of Christmas Past.

Caroline Rose has evolved quite a bit since their first album. Still good though.

PXL_20231202_020739567.MP.jpg

Day 1: Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol

I tried to dig really far back for today, but there aren’t really any Xmas records I remember from way in the past outside of individual songs and I don’t remember when exactly I was given the CDs & records I’ve been gifted whether it be my birthday, Xmas, etc. I do vividly remember the Christmas I was given this tho…

*sigh* I’m sorry… 😓

R. Kelly - Untitled

View attachment 189301

He used to be one of my favourite artists back in the day (the remix to “Ignition” was one of the first Hip Hop/R&B songs I’d ever heard & a family favourite) and this was one of the first CDs of his I got, a Xmas gift from my auntie Donna.

Look, I was 13. I didn’t know any better.

It really is a ghost of the past bcuz I haven’t heard this album in about 12 years, and musically speaking it’s aged rather poorly (even outside of the artist). A lot of it sounds like the club R&B that was really popular in ‘08/‘09 that I usually don’t mind, but I’ve never liked that sound coming from him.

I would have bitten the bullet and played that Too Legit To Quit had I kept it. But I get that your pick has a bit more weight to it.

As an aside - when I lived in Illinois I worked with quite a few women from inner-city Chicago - and his proclivities were well known - and this was back in 2000 or so when they told me.

12/2 - The Star Wars Holiday Special: This heartwarming story of Chewbacca’s wife, father, and son Lumpy eagerly awaiting his return for Life Day is notable for the introduction of Boba Fett. Play a debut release or something that introduces a musician for the first time.

1701520720085.png
Saw them at vegoose festival 2005 and they just radiated so much joy playing together. Bought the reissue of the debut on vinyl a couple years ago and the album still holds up. Unfortunately they could never repeat thd magic of that debut

12/1 - Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol: Play something that you would consider a ghost of Christmas Past.

Roger Whittaker - The Roger Whittaker Christmas Album

IMG_6447.jpeg

This was a frequently-played Christmas record in our home in the 80s so it’s strange to learn that it’s unfamiliar to most others. It’s got late-70s sound caked all over it

12/2 - The Star Wars Holiday Special: Play a debut release or something that introduces a musician for the first time.

Jellyfish - Bellybutton

IMG_6448.jpeg

Finally getting around to playing this. It’s so nice to not just rely on listening to my old beat-up warbly cassette now. This sounds better

12/1 - Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol: This is the first animated Christmas special, aired in 1962. This is also the first version of A Christmas Carol that appears on this months playthrough, so play something that you would consider a ghost of Christmas Past.

Thanks for running December @imtheocean !

This is the original family copy of this album. I loved this so much when I was a kid, I'd take it to my room and spin it...even when it wasn't the holiday season. I still spin this at least once this time of year.

IMG_6389.JPG

12/2 - The Star Wars Holiday Special: This heartwarming story of Chewbacca’s wife, father, and son Lumpy eagerly awaiting his return for Life Day is notable for the introduction of Boba Fett. Play a debut release or something that introduces a musician for the first time.

Decent debut, but they certainly got better...

IMG_6388.JPG

I beleive it's @avecigrec that has the full album if memory serves, but Meco's disco rendition of the Star Wars / Cantina theme is the first release on his discography, and is the first track on this compilation.

And I gotta say, the accompanying video may have a higher production value than the Star Wars Holiday Special,

Various Artists ~ K-Tel Star Power

IMG_4767.jpeg

I beleive it's @avecigrec that has the full album if memory serves, but Meco's disco rendition of the Star Wars / Cantina theme is the first release on his discography, and is the first track on this compilation.

And I gotta say, the accompanying video may have a higher production value than the Star Wars Holiday Special,

Various Artists ~ K-Tel Star Power

View attachment 189377

Not I!

Nothing too special with today's pick - I just hit the Discogs Random button until a release I could use popped.

It's a pretty nice one, though. One of the best sounding albums I own.

Buckingham Nicks – Buckingham Nicks
Polydor – PD 5058, 1973

Cut at Sterling Sound
Pressed at Monarch

2qGbtoj.jpg

BbW6qlj.jpg

12/3 - The Johnny Cash Holiday Special: Johnny Cash had a number of holiday specials over the years. He also wrote a song (that was one of my son’s early favorites) called “Look at them Beans” about green beans. Given that December 3rd is also National Green Bean Casserole day, play something about food. Or by Johnny Cash.
1701618863377.png

So let's start day 3 with an obvious choice. A topical album about food called food by kelis. Friday fish fry is a personal favorite

12/3 - The Johnny Cash Holiday Special: Johnny Cash had a number of holiday specials over the years. He also wrote a song (that was one of my son’s early favorites) called “Look at them Beans” about green beans. Given that December 3rd is also National Green Bean Casserole day, play something about food. Or by Johnny Cash.

True story - When my son was in 7th grade the kids were allowed to DJ their own school dances. When it was turn to pull up a song, he picked "look at them beans". He wasn't allowed to DJ anymore after that.

Anyway, for some reason I don't have that particular album on vinyl. Although maybe I'll get it for him for Christmas.

I'll go with a Rubber Biscuit today instead.

The other day you know I had a wish sandwich
Well a wish sandwich is the kind of a sandwich
Where you have two slices of bread and you
Wish you had some meat

Blues Brothers ~ Briefcase Full of Blues

IMG_4800.jpeg

I picked this Johnny Cash out of all my Johnny Cash because of the track "Supper-Time" - so I've got both options covered.

Johnny Cash – The Fabulous Johnny Cash
Columbia – CL 1253, 1958

I6n3Eoe.jpg

c5f8Hb0.jpg

12/1 - Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol: This is the first animated Christmas special, aired in 1962. This is also the first version of A Christmas Carol that appears on this months playthrough, so play something that you would consider a ghost of Christmas Past.

Sufjan Stevens - Songs for Christmas

Picked up this CD box set back in 2006, and it's been a holiday season staple ever since...

Screenshot_20231203_093003_Poweramp.jpg

Joe Jackson "Look Sharp!" (1979 A&M; 2016 Intervention Records)
Joe Jackson's first album, and favorite of mine from him.

IMG_0716.JPG

Back