Gadzooks! Its the December Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread!

12/6 - Christmas at Pee-Wee’s Playhouse: This special had a deep roster of guest stars, including Grace Jones singing “Little Drummer Boy”. Play something with a featured guest on an album.

My love for Bob Kidney and 15-60-75 is well documented here.

This is Golden Palominos covering 15-60-75's burner 'The Animal Speaks' with John Lydon guesting on vocals. It's glorious...

This spectacular record also has guest vocals by Michael Stipe, Jack Bruce and Syd Straw.

RIP Anton Fier. Thanks for everything...

Golden Palominos - Visions Of Excess

20231207_234531.jpg

12/8 - The Year Without a Santa Claus: My favorite part of this special is Heat Miser and Cold Miser, two brothers who are constantly at odds. Play something that focuses on Hot or Cold, however you want to define it. Or two brothers who are / have been at odds.

Totally love The Reid brothers. They're in my All-Time Top 5.

Arguably, their most volatile period...

The noise-pop Scottish band, longtime cult favorites, were fueled by alcohol and conflict. "We do fight, and there's no getting around it," Jim Reid said. On their 1998 U.S. tour, a Los Angeles gig that lasted just 15 minutes featured Jim knocking over microphone stands and the brothers arguing with each other – "Play anything but that," Jim said – and ended with William quitting the tour. Reportedly, the band's tour manager considered calling the Reids' mother back in the United Kingdom to see if she could get them to settle down.

produced what I think is one of their most diverse, interesting records.

Jim had his say with the first track...

William Had his say with the last...

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Munki

20231109_001044.jpg

12/7 - Rugrats Chanukah: This is the first children's tv show to have a Hanukkah episode. Today is the 1st day of Hanukkah. Play something by someone who celebrates Hanukkah.

Gary Lee Weinrib

His parents being Jewish Holocaust survivors imprisoned at Auschwitz and later Dachau and Bergen-Belsen. He considers himself a Jewish atheist.

Rush – Snakes & Arrows
Atlantic/Anthem – R1 177084, 2007/2016

Cut by Sean Magee
Pressed at Quality Record Pressing

afSZt0Q.jpg

djDjeVe.jpg

12/8 - The Year Without a Santa Claus: My favorite part of this special is Heat Miser and Cold Miser, two brothers who are constantly at odds. Play something that focuses on Hot or Cold, however you want to define it. Or two brothers who are / have been at odds.

Back in 2005, they had a press release that one of the 3 brothers in the band was "taking a break" - he said he was fired - but who really knows the full story -

Screenshot 2023-12-08 113630.jpg

Chevelle ‎– This Type Of Thinking (Could Do Us In)
Epic/Legacy ‎– 88985374121, 2004/2017

Cut by Mark Santangelo

7BEz955.jpg

1iClth1.jpg

12/8 - The Year Without a Santa Claus: My favorite part of this special is Heat Miser and Cold Miser, two brothers who are constantly at odds. Play something that focuses on Hot or Cold, however you want to define it. Or two brothers who are / have been at odds

The obvious choice
1702068712337.png

1702120798637.gif

12/1 - Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol: This is the first animated Christmas special, aired in 1962. This is also the first version of A Christmas Carol that appears on this months playthrough, so play something that you would consider a ghost of Christmas Past.

The working title of this album was Cosmic Christmas, or The Rolling Stones' Cosmic Christmas.

The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request

IMG_6246.jpeg

Also:

12/3 - The Johnny Cash Holiday Special: Johnny Cash had a number of holiday specials over the years. He also wrote a song (that was one of my son’s early favorites) called “Look at them Beans” about green beans. Given that December 3rd is also National Green Bean Casserole day, play something about food. Or by Johnny Cash.

🎶"Things are different today" I hear every mother say
Cooking fresh food for her husband's just a drag
So she buys an instant cake, and she burns a frozen steak
And goes running for the shelter of her mother's little helper
And two help her on her way, get her through her busy day🎶

The Rolling Stones - Aftermath

IMG_6249.jpeg

12/4 - The Santa Clause: In this movie Tim Allen takes over for Santa after he scares Santa and knocks him off a roof, killing him. Play something where a member of the band is a replacement for a previous member.

Mick Taylor would come to replace Brian Jones after his death, but he already plays on Country Honk and Live With Me

The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

IMG_6252.jpeg

12/5 - Krampus: Krampusnacht is celebrated on December 5th, and both the myth and the movie revolve around a demon who punishes naughty children. Play something you think would scare a child.

This artwork looks like something you would find in a witch's cauldron.

The Rolling Stones - Goat's Head Soup (Rarities and Alternative Mixes)

IMG_6253.jpeg

Ex Hex "Rips" (2014 Merge)
Features the song "Hot and Cold".

IMG_0729.JPG

Back