Gadzooks! Its the December Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread!

12/3 - The Johnny Cash Holiday Special: Johnny Cash had a number of holiday specials over the years. He also wrote a song (that was one of my son’s early favorites) called “Look at them Beans” about green beans. Given that December 3rd is also National Green Bean Casserole day, play something about food. Or by Johnny Cash.

Johnny Cash "A Night To Remember" (2020 Third Man Records)

IMG_0717.JPG

12/2 - The Star Wars Holiday Special: This heartwarming story of Chewbacca’s wife, father, and son Lumpy eagerly awaiting his return for Life Day is notable for the introduction of Boba Fett. Play a debut release or something that introduces a musician for the first time.

Joe Jackson "Look Sharp!" (1979 A&M; 2016 Intervention Records)
Joe Jackson's first album, and favorite of mine from him.

View attachment 189482

You check out his new one yet?

12/2 - The Star Wars Holiday Special: This heartwarming story of Chewbacca’s wife, father, and son Lumpy eagerly awaiting his return for Life Day is notable for the introduction of Boba Fett. Play a debut release or something that introduces a musician for the first time.

Harold Vick Steppin' Out
Vick on tenor sax in 1963.

PXL_20231204_020851320.jpg

The vinyl debut of C-3PO.

Couldn't resist outing myself...

Christmas In The Stars - Star Wars Christmas Album

20231203_214710.jpg

12/3 - The Johnny Cash Holiday Special: Johnny Cash had a number of holiday specials over the years. He also wrote a song (that was one of my son’s early favorites) called “Look at them Beans” about green beans. Given that December 3rd is also National Green Bean Casserole day, play something about food. Or by Johnny Cash.

Bringin' Down Dinner...

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Greendale

20231203_233746.jpg

12/4 - The Santa Clause: In this movie Tim Allen takes over for Santa after he scares Santa and knocks him off a roof, killing him. Play something where a member of the band is a replacement for a previous member.

After the tragic OD of Danny Whitten, Frank 'Pancho' Sampedro replaced him in Crazy Horse and they continued to rock the fuck out for decades...

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Weld

20220515_235826.jpg

12/4 - The Santa Clause: In this movie Tim Allen takes over for Santa after he scares Santa and knocks him off a roof, killing him. Play something where a member of the band is a replacement for a previous member.

Gotta go with what first popped in my head - and it's a better album than the previous few Sabbath albums. Dio only lasted 2 studio albums and a live album as the band members didn't seem to get a long all that much - and we then got Holy Diver in 1983...so the world was better off anyway.

Dio returned to Sabbath in 1992 for Dehumanizer, but quit before Sabbath was supposed to open for Ozzy.

In 2006 they created Heaven & Hell - as "supergroup", but it really was just the Mob Rules line-up. They released an album in 2009 prior to Dio's death in 2010.

Black Sabbath – Heaven And Hell
Warner Bros. Records – BSK 3372, 1980/1983

Pressed at Specialty Records Corporation

5BGFRmk.jpg

fkpvlL0.jpg

And a Bonus record - as it was right next to Heaven And Hell and I hadn't played it in a while...

Black Sabbath – Die Young
Vertigo – SAB 412, 1980

UK 12"
b/w Heaven And Hell (Live Version)

Cut by Tony Bridge
Pressed at PolyGram

exYAAgl.jpg

Iu0zeEP.jpg

1701682104811.png

Faith no more started out with Chuck Mosley on vocals but he was fired after the first two albums to be replaced by Mike Patton from this album ( the real thing) on.

Last edited:

Remember the Grandmother I mentioned on Day 1? She was the best. When Brent died she cut his obituary out of the NY times and sent it to me at college knowing I loved the Dead. A small thing, but it let me know that she knew my interests and was thinking of me.

Brent Mydland was one in a long line of keyboardists for the Dead, and a replacement for Keith Godchaux. I might be biased as I started seeing the Dead with Brent, but he's always been my personal favorite with his bluesy voice and that Hammond B3. This album recently got reissued and highlights his playing and his fantastic interplay with Jerry.

Grateful Dead ~ Without a Net

IMG_4820.jpeg

Josh Tillman left Fleet Foxes to become Father John Misty after recording drums for Helplessness Blues.

l1j20g9w5guwtecbmjjce5cnzep2tlz.png

From Wikipedia:
On January 18, 2012, after the band had finished touring for the album, drummer Tillman announced that he had left the band.[31] He would go on to reinvent himself and record several albums as Father John Misty, notable for his ironic sense of humor in lyrics and media as well as often criticizing both the record industry and society in interviews and on stage. Pecknold would later reflect on Tillman's departure during a Reddit AMA in October 2020:

[Tillman] "quit" the band after recording drums for Helplessness, got into narcotics and made his first [Father John Misty] album while I was making Helplessness in Seattle. Then Sub Pop offered to put out his album, but only if he delayed it for a year or so and toured Helplessness with us. Which we all weakly agreed to going through with, but it quickly became obvious he'd rather have just been doing that project instead, and I would have rathered that as well. So that tour I had to endure being around a lot of substance abuse, sabotaged shows, just general ill treatment, shit-talking, all while paying him for songs he didn't have anything to do with. It sucked![32]

Here's Crack-Up

PXL_20231204_170550278.jpg

Drive-By Truckers – Decoration Day
20231204_115825.jpg

While touring their previous album, Southern Rock Opera, DBT picked up a young guitar player and songwriter named Jason Isbell. They included two of his songs on this album, which was named after one of them. They just so happen to be two of the best songs on the whole album too. Not a bad debut. He would go on to release two more bands with DBT before being let go for partying too hard, and too often. He seems to have done alright for himself since...

Johnny Cash – Orange Blossom Special
20231204_115932.jpg

The Roots – Rising Down
20231204_123534.jpg

This would be The Roots' first major release without Hub (Rest In Power) on the bass. Owen Biddle took over the low end duties for a half-decade beginning with this album, eventually to be replaced by current bassist Mark Kelley.

RUSH "Permanent Waves" (1980 Mercury; 2019 reissue)
This one is certainly in the conversation as one of the best replacement band members. Starting from their second album Neil Peart took over on drums from John Rutsey. Considering he also contributed lyrics, that ended up being a pretty defining replacement.

IMG_0718.JPG

Back