Gadzooks! Its the December Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread!

12/29 - Seinfeld: Festivus is the traditional airing of grievances. Play an album that was used to air a grievance.

I'm not one that follows all the behind the scene issues, but the Sex Pistols wrote the song E.M.I after being dumped by EMI as they were writing the album.

Sex Pistols – Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols
Warner Bros. Records/Virgin – BSK 3147, 1977

Pressed at Capitol Records Pressing Plant, Jacksonville

4i8yQOH.jpg

sGH7mDE.jpg

12/30 – Elf: This movie is a “narwhal out of water” tale of a human child who is adopted by one of Santa’s Elves, and his search to find his true family and restore their Christmas spirit. Play an album that is considered an unexpected release for an artist.

I'm not sure if it was "unexpected" but his first 2 albums were pretty much hip-hop...this one was not.

Childish Gambino – Awaken, My Love!
Glassnote – GLS-0209-01, 2016/2017

2x45 RPM box set - includes hidden live track of "The Night Me And Your Mama Met"

Cut by Mark Santangelo

sFoiRBB.jpg

nHbG8ZZ.jpg

12/30 – Elf: Play an album that is considered an unexpected release for an artist

Radiohead - Kid A

IMG_6621.jpeg

When this album leaked on Napster a few months before its release, a lot of people speculated that it wasn’t real, that it was just someone who uploaded their own band under Radiohead’s name to get some notice. We didn’t care either way, we loved it.

12/30 – Elf: This movie is a “narwhal out of water” tale of a human child who is adopted by one of Santa’s Elves, and his search to find his true family and restore their Christmas spirit. Play an album that is considered an unexpected release for an artist.

I remember when this came out, was definitely a divergence from 70's Yes which I really didn't like at the time. And its still the only Yes album I own.

Also, I can't believe they didn't replace the opening act with another band, but just went with cartoons. I hope one of them was "What's Operetta, Doc." From the 90125 Wiki:

American new wave band Berlin were scheduled as the opening act during the first North American leg, but they were dropped from the tour due to a contract dispute. Instead, the band opened their shows with two Bugs Bunny cartoons
Yes ~ 90125

IMG_5233.jpeg

12/27 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: The Island of Misfit Toys is where the Charlie In The Box greets Rudolph and Hermey, and introduces them to the misfit toys. Play something that’s in a misfit genre when compared to the rest of your collection.

Mid-Air Thief - Crumbling

Albums in Korean are unfortunately in short supply in my collection... Also, the genre of this one is somewhat all over the place, so it's a misfit by default.

20230706_125912-jpg.177026

Day 30: Elf
Play an album that is considered an unexpected release for an artist.

Geese - 3D Country
IMG_0893.jpeg
Geese made a alright post punk album with their debut record but their follow up is something completely different. It owes more to The Allman Brothers than the Blood Brothers but it’s not exactly jam band roots rock either it feels like if someone took a Marshall Tucker album ran the entire album through Google Translate from English to Japanese and then back to English again, it makes sense for the most part but something isn’t quite right and whatever that something is on 3D Country is the secret sauce that makes this album so enthralling.

12/28 - Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Christmas: This Jim Henson special reaches its apex with a talent show that pits the Frogtown Hollow Jubilee Jug Band against the heavy metal stylings of The Nightmare. In that vein, pick your winner and play something that either has Jug Band / Bluegrass roots, or some Heavy Metal.

Deafheaven - Sunbather

1000073234.jpg

Cheating as I don't actually have this abysmal track.
You can certainly call it an unexpected collaboration.
I'm sorry, truly.

Cheating as I don't actually have this abysmal track.
You can certainly call it an unexpected collaboration.
I'm sorry, truly.

I used to love this song back in 10th grade. :ROFLMAO:

Day 30: Elf

So you just made your film debut and not only is the movie a success, you get a chart-topping soundtrack album & four top 10 hit singles off of it. What’s the logical next step for your career? Why, a psychedelic pop album, of course!

Prince and the Revolution - Around the World in a Day

IMG_7931.jpeg

The dawn of a new Waits era.

IMG_6788.JPG

12/31: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special: Bringing us back to the excellent mixtape challenge that @Turbo did last December based on the Guardians, play something that will show up on your NYE playlist.

I got this back in February just after I last spun the 2009 release - and I'm just now getting to it. Some may feel better with their debut album, Paul's Boutique, or Ill Communication for a party, but I'll recommend this release ever time.

Both records are also fresh out of my new ultrasonic cleaner...but someday I'll do a more direct A/B comparison to that 2009 release which I think is one of my best sounding records.

Beastie Boys – Check Your Head
Capitol Records/Grand Royal – VMP-E119, 1992/2022

Cut by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound
Pressed at GZ

hmhuOci.jpg

bRVuHLi.jpg

12/31: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special: Bringing us back to the excellent mixtape challenge that @Turbo did last December based on the Guardians, play something that will show up on your NYE playlist.

Let's go out with a bang! How can I not play Satisfaction?
The Rolling Stones - Out of Our Heads

Thanks for hosting @imtheocean !
Happy new year everybody!!!

Back