Gadzooks! Its the December Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread!

12/31: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special: Bringing us back to the excellent mixtape challenge that @Turbo did last December based on the Guardians, play something that will show up on your NYE playlist.

Guardians was the first Christmas special I watched this month, and its bookended with Fairytale of New York. Will be spinning some Pogues tonight and raising a glass for Shane (and Kristy MacColl, Philip Chevron and Daryl Hunt).

Happy New Year all, and thanks for playing along this month! Looking forward to seeing what @scotthilk has in mind for January.

The Pogues ~ If I Should Fall From Grace With God

IMG_5241.jpeg

Day 31: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special: Bringing us back to the excellent mixtape challenge that @Turbo did last December based on the Guardians, play something that will show up on your NYE playlist.

LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver
IMG_0895.jpeg

Very few songs have as much sentimentality baked into them as “All Of My Friends”. It’s the type of song that you can enjoy from multiple angles. It reminds me of being young and partying with friends, it makes me a bit wistful, when Murphy asks “where are your friends tonight?” But ultimately it just makes my happy. Lively music to sing and dance to while we journey into 2024.

12/30 – Elf: This movie is a “narwhal out of water” tale of a human child who is adopted by one of Santa’s Elves, and his search to find his true family and restore their Christmas spirit. Play an album that is considered an unexpected release for an artist.

Country Mike – Country Mike's Greatest Hits
20231231_112157.jpg

Even if it is tongue-in-cheek, I doubt anybody expected Mike D to make a twangy country record!

The in-laws have taken over the man-cave while they visit so the TT has not been accessible…. still hoping to complete the month and do the next, but it may all have to go down next year. Can’t complain too much though… doing chinese hot-pot for NYE tonight and that always puts me in good spirits.

Meanwhile, happy new year to all my fellow vinyl spin challengers!!

12/30 – Elf: This movie is a “narwhal out of water” tale of a human child who is adopted by one of Santa’s Elves, and his search to find his true family and restore their Christmas spirit. Play an album that is considered an unexpected release for an artist.

Country Mike – Country Mike's Greatest Hits
View attachment 191700

Even if it is tongue-in-cheek, I doubt anybody expected Mike D to make a twangy country record!
OMFG, what is this?
I have to listen this one

OMFG, what is this?
I have to listen this one
Back in the day Mike D released a country album under is alter ego as a Christmas gift for his friends and family. A very small run was pressed on vinyl and originals go for big bucks. A few tracks were officially released on their Sound Of Science comp and over the years via file sharing the whole album was unofficially made available on the interweb. @avecigrec has an unofficial release but that pretty much your only option unless you wanna drop beaucoop bucks (if you can even find one).

12/31: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special: Bringing us back to the excellent mixtape challenge that @Turbo did last December based on the Guardians, play something that will show up on your NYE playlist.

Elisapie – Inuktitut
20231231_133330.jpg

"TAIMANGALIMAAQ" was far and away one of my favourite cover songs this year, and one that would be quite fitting for an NYE 2023 mix.

Back in the day Mike D released a country album under is alter ego as a Christmas gift for his friends and family. A very small run was pressed on vinyl and originals go for big bucks. A few tracks were officially released on their Sound Of Science comp and over the years via file sharing the whole album was unofficially made available on the interweb. @avecigrec has an unofficial release but that pretty much your only option unless you wanna drop beaucoop bucks (if you can even find one).
Listening to it on YouTube Music, it's a hoot!

Thanks @imtheocean for making this a wonderful holiday season!

Also, thanks to all that led and/or participated in a Challenge Thread in 2023. Looking forward to what 2024 brings us all.

@scotthilk is gonna kick of the New Year by leading the January thread. Look forward to seeing what everyone’s spinning over there.

Cheers!
Thread going up soon!

Back