Gadzooks! Its the December Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread!

12/24 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Yukon Cornelius is as famous for his lust for silver and gold as he is for his amazing moustache. Play something by someone who has / had fantastic facial hair.

Robert Finley "Sharecropper's Son" (2021 Easy Eye Sound)
Dan Auerbach has a nice clean beard going and Robert Finley has a solid goatee.

View attachment 191396

View attachment 191395
I wasn't aware of Robert Finley, but really enjoying listening to this and digging into his life story. Amazing.

Day 27: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: The Island of Misfit Toys
Play something that’s in a misfit genre when compared to the rest of your collection.

VA - Pure Moods
IMG_0872.jpeg

Now, I don’t think my Pure Moods cassette (that I received from @Wes C. Attle last year as a Secret Santa gift) is a Misfit amongst my collection but others might question its placement.

Day 27: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: The Island of Misfit Toys
Play something that’s in a misfit genre when compared to the rest of your collection.

VA - Pure Moods
View attachment 191402

Now, I don’t think my Pure Moods cassette (that I received from @Wes C. Attle last year as a Secret Santa gift) is a Misfit amongst my collection but others might question its placement.

Anyone who questions it is not your friend

12/27 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: The Island of Misfit Toys is where the Charlie In The Box greets Rudolph and Hermey, and introduces them to the misfit toys. Play something that’s in a misfit genre when compared to the rest of your collection.

I don't have much non-US based Psychedelic, but I really should. Maybe that will be my new years resolution rabbit hole to go down.

Those of you in the know, feel free to send recommendations my way, or direct me to the appropriate thread.

Kikagaku Moyo ~ House in the Tall Grass

IMG_5207.jpeg

12/21 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Sam the Snowman was famously voiced by Burl Ives, who was jailed in the early 1930’s for singing “Foggy Dew”, which the authorities considered “bawdy”. Play something bawdy in solidarity with Burl.

Nine Inch Nails – The Downward Spiral
20231227_114307.jpg

I guess it's lacking the humour aspect to make it truly "bawdy" --although, it's quite hilarious when my friend's band sings, "I wanna hug you like a teddy bear," instead-- but this is what I'm playing anyway.

12/21 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Sam the Snowman was famously voiced by Burl Ives, who was jailed in the early 1930’s for singing “Foggy Dew”, which the authorities considered “bawdy”. Play something bawdy in solidarity with Burl.

Nine Inch Nails – The Downward Spiral
View attachment 191415

I guess it's lacking the humour aspect to make it truly "bawdy" --although, it's quite hilarious when my friend's band sings, "I wanna hug you like a teddy bear," instead-- but this is what I'm playing anyway.

My wife has a story about that teddy bear hug song from when she was in high school. At her school, the seniors had control of the music that played through the PA system in the morning. So they would take their turns to bring mix tapes to play. She had this one with the song in question, but she cut the song off before the chorus came on. Anyway, I guess it scared the shit out of the student in charge of the PA system that day, making sprint through the hallway to shut it down in time, since they didn't know it was cut-off.

12/22 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Rudolph is the titular hero of this special. Expelled from the reindeer games (and the North Pole) due to his unique nose, he returns in triumph when he’s most needed. Play something that represents a late career return to form.

Willie Nelson – A Beautiful Time
20231227_143043.jpg

This 2022 release was easily Willie's best album since 1998's  Teatro.

12/27 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: The Island of Misfit Toys Play something that’s in a misfit genre when compared to the rest of your collection

Garth Brooks - In Pieces

IMG_6617.jpeg

$13 for a box set of anything was hard to turn down at one point

12/23 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Hermey the Elf feels like a misfit because he wants to be a dentist. Everyone started off with a job they didn’t like. Spin something by an artist who initially paid the bills with another job outside of music, and let us know what that is.

Wax Mannequin – Have A New Name
20231227_160521.jpg

Wax was a supply teacher in the Hamilton region of Ontario, and still is as far as I know. I definitely wish I had a teacher like him when I was in school!

12/22 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Rudolph is the titular hero of this special. Expelled from the reindeer games (and the North Pole) due to his unique nose, he returns in triumph when he’s most needed. Play something that represents a late career return to form.

Slowdive - Slowdive

In this case, they didn't release anything for over 20 years, so a great album like this is a return to having a form after being formless, I guess.

1000072888.jpg

12/25 - Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer: Santa (who comes off as a bit of a jerk in this special to be honest) and Christmas were saved by Rudolph. Play something you received as a present.

Various - The Daptone Super Soul Revue Live! At The Apollo (2021 Daptone)
I didn't receive any records as a present for Christmas this year (yet - we've kept a small gift exchange for when my in-laws come over in a few days and I see a record-shaped gift there - well, ok, full confession I wrapped it myself it it might be Prince). Anyhoo.... I did get some awesome gifts during the PIFgiving weekend and it just so happens that a sweet box with PIFs from different people and collected by @yukbon just arrived today. So I'm considering this to essentially be a Christmas present. This awesome live show was from @yukbon himself.

IMG_0782.JPG

12/23 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Hermey the Elf feels like a misfit because he wants to be a dentist. Everyone started off with a job they didn’t like. Spin something by an artist who initially paid the bills with another job outside of music, and let us know what that is.

Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand

Robert Pollard threw a no-hitter in college but chose not to pursue an athletic career, then was a high school teacher before making fifteen thousand albums.

1000072889.jpg

12/24 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Yukon Cornelius is as famous for his lust for silver and gold as he is for his amazing moustache. Play something by someone who has / had fantastic facial hair.

Ben Caplan – Birds With Broken Wings
20231227_212435.jpg

My first encounter with this majestic beardo was a friend sending me a YouTube link with the comment "I thought this was you at first," and there certainly was a period in the early '10s where Ben and I sported remarkably similar looks -- in fact the one time we both appeared st the same festival people mixed us up more than a few times! He let me know he'd been frequently complimented for my poetry and stage hosting while I passed along the compliments I'd received for his singing. :ROFLMAO: Somebody did snap a photo of the two of us together backstage, but I've sadly never seen it.

Ben+caplan+holds+a+brass+tea+pot+and+cup+with+his+mouth+open.jpeg.jpg

Willie Nelson – A Beautiful Time
View attachment 191423

This 2022 release was easily Willie's best album since 1998's  Teatro.
I need to check this out

12/28 - Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Christmas: This Jim Henson special reaches its apex with a talent show that pits the Frogtown Hollow Jubilee Jug Band against the heavy metal stylings of The Nightmare. In that vein, pick your winner and play something that either has Jug Band / Bluegrass roots, or some Heavy Metal.

How about RATM covering the Stones' Street Fighting Man?

Rage Against the Machine - Renegades

Ben Caplan – Birds With Broken Wings
View attachment 191449

My first encounter with this majestic beardo was a friend sending me a YouTube link with the comment "I thought this was you at first," and there certainly was a period in the early '10s where Ben and I sported remarkably similar looks -- in fact the one time we both appeared st the same festival people mixed us up more than a few times! He let me know he'd been frequently complimented for my poetry and stage hosting while I passed along the compliments I'd received for his singing. :ROFLMAO: Somebody did snap a photo of the two of us together backstage, but I've sadly never seen it.

View attachment 191450

Dude! I call shenanigans. That really is a self-portrait. Nice try.

Back