Fresh Grabs

Thought I would share this week's pick-ups before the madness of RSD kicks in tomorrow.

The Beatles - The White Album (Apple Records, 1968 First Stereo Pressing)
The Beatles - Beatles For Sale (Parlophone, 1964 First Mono Pressing)
The Beatles - With The Beatles (Parlophone, 1963 First Mono Pressing)

I broke my own rule this week by picking up some Beatles records at my local carboot sale despite not really being 'into' their music. The sleeves have certainly seen better days but the first 2 I have listened to sound good, so no complaints, especially for the low price I paid for them. I have to admit that it took quite a while to work out which pressing of each I have here, and I couldn't believe the number of nuances to look for, such as full stops after certain words but not others! I will post these on the Beatles thread to see if anyone has any more info to add.

IMG_1745.JPG

Ray Charles - Ray Charles Live In Concert (ABC-Paramount, 1965 First Pressing)
Ella Fitzgerald And Louis Armstrong - Ella And Louis (Verve, 1979 Box Set Pressing)
Various - Jazz Greats (Fontana, 1965 First Mono Compilation Pressing)
Buck Clayton's All-Stars - Buck Clayton Jams Benny Goodman (Philips, 1955 First UK Mono Pressing)
Buck Clayton - Jumpin' At The Woodside (Philips, 1955 First UK Mono Pressing)
Muggsy, Tesch And The Chicagoans - S/T (London Records/Riverside, 1953 First UK 10" Pressing)

These are the rest of my mid-week carboot finds. The Ella & Louis was a fantastic find. I do already have a couple first pressings of the album but thought I would try this set as it looked interesting enough. By the looks of it, the extra disc's included are the 'Ella & Louis Again' sessions. I am unfamiliar with Buck Claton but the cover art drew me in and for £1 I had to try them out.

IMG_1744.JPG

Michael Gibbs - Michael Gibbs (Deram, 1970 First Stereo Pressing)
Morrissey Mullen ‎– This Must Be The Place (Coda Records, 1985 First White Label Signed Pressing)
Coltrane by Paolo Parisi (Jonathan Cape, 2012)

These are the real gems of the week (for me anyway). I have been really loving listening to Michael Gibbs lately and this 1970 album is absolutely killer. Morrissey Mullen was a jazz-rock experimental group led by Dick Morrissey on sax (who has signed the label) and Jim Mullen on guitar. Finally, I saw this Coltrane graphic novel and picked it up, having recently finished the Thelonious Monk graphic novel.

IMG_1748.JPG

Friday Fresh Grabs
B26E51C9-90E3-4A4C-A85C-1762A3BB9F95.jpeg
Jon Spencer Blues Exposion - Extra Width
Bran Van 3000 - Glee
Bad Brains - Bad Brains
Daniel Norgren - Live

Only a few this week. JSBX is an original Matador pressing that I picked up off Discogs. BV3K is a 20th anniversary reissue I was able to pick up off eBay for around $30 shipped. The Bad Brains is the Org reissue that was released today, I swung by my local over my lunch break to grab it. Everything I’ve read make it sound like these remasters should be quite good and for under $20 I really couldn’t pass it up. Daniel Norgren’s Live album is amazing I have streamed it often since preordering g back in like February. I am excited to finally get a chance to spin it.
Bonus Grabs…
0D175720-88DD-422B-BADA-CFC51F85E667.jpeg

I’ve been missing music magazines for some reason recently so I have been buying some classic issues off of ebay. These have been a lot of amusing to read, they’re like time capsules, even the ads are fun to look over. The Beck issue is great as it has an article about a pre Odelay Beck, an article on the Beastie Boys, a write up about GBV’s and a concert review of a Pavement show! It’s might be the perfect issue (even though the reviewer wasn’t super impressed with the Pavement show).

Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny (New Jazz, 2021 Craft Limited RSD Mono Pressing)
Harold Land - Westward Bound! (Reel To Real, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)
Salah Ragab ‎– Prism Music Unit Egypt Strut (Arab Republic Of Egypt - Ministry Of Culture, 2021 Strut Limited RSD Pressing)
Linkin Park ‎– Meteora (Warner Records Inc., 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)
Nubya Garcia - Source = Our Dance (Concord Jazz, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)

This is the first time I have visited a physical shop for RSD in a few years and it was by far the easiest experience I have had. I popped down the highstreet this morning and was 7th in line. My local shop is essentially in a corner of a big cafe and they gave out tickets to allow people to sit and have breakfast/coffee before being called up one at a time to get the records on your list. A really stress-free way of doing it and I was able to get everything I wanted as a result. The Kenny Dorham and Harlond Land were the ones that I was most excited to get, but having now looked at the Salah Ragab it has jumped to the top of my play-list. Finally, the Nubya Garcia (almost my pick for the N&G AOTM) features remixes from the likes of Makaya McCraven and @Mark de Clive-Lowe (his album was @Skalap's N&G AOTM). Plus a nice tote bag thrown in for free.

IMG_1784.JPG

Last edited:
Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny (New Jazz, 2021 Craft Limited RSD Mono Pressing)
Harold Land - Westward Bound! (Reel To Real, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)
Salah Ragab ‎– Prism Music Unit Egypt Strut (Arab Republic Of Egypt - Ministry Of Culture, 2021 Strut Limited RSD Pressing)
Linkin Park ‎– Meteora (Warner Records Inc., 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)
Nubya Garcia - Source = Our Dance (Concord Jazz, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)

This is the first time I have visited a physical shop for RSD in a few years and it was by far the easiest experience I have had. I popped down the highstreet this morning and was 7th in line. My local shop is essentially in a corner of a big cafe and they gave out tickets to allow people to sit and have breakfast/coffee before being called up one at a time to get the records on your list. A really stress-free way of doing it and I was able to get everything I wanted as a result. The Kenny Dorham and Harlond Land were the ones that I was most excited to get, but having now looked at the Salah Ragab it has jumped to the top of my play-list. Finally, the Nubya Garcia (my pick for the N&G AOTM) features remixes from the likes of Makaya McCraven and @Mark de Clive-Lowe (his album was @Skalap's N&G AOTM). Plus a nice tote bag thrown in for free.

View attachment 102330
Great Haul!
I'm hoping for the only Kenny at my local, but Salah Ragab is my true #1.

Great Haul!
I'm hoping for the only Kenny at my local, but Salah Ragab is my true #1.
The Salah looks to be fantastic, really looking forward to listening to this one for sure. Its funny because really it should be one of the most sought after when you consider its lack or reissues, but I expect not too many people are aware of it.

When I went up to give the shop owner my want list he told me that the 2 copies of the Lady Gaga release sold out by the 2nd person. A few days back he was telling me that its the one he imagined to be most sought after as he ordered 20 and was only given 2. Even then he jokingly said he expected it to sell out by the 2nd person, and he was right. I was never going to get it, but did check ebay out of curiosity and it's being sold for over £100. Absolute madness and definitely the worst part of RSD.

The Salah looks to be fantastic, really looking forward to listening to this one for sure. Its funny because really it should be one of the most sought after when you consider its lack or reissues, but I expect not too many people are aware of it.

When I went up to give the shop owner my want list he told me that the 2 copies of the Lady Gaga release sold out by the 2nd person. A few days back he was telling me that its the one he imagined to be most sought after as he ordered 20 and was only given 2. Even then he jokingly said he expected it to sell out by the 2nd person, and he was right. I was never going to get it, but did check ebay out of curiosity and it's being sold for over £100. Absolute madness and definitely the worst part of RSD.
Oh man, they were down to one Salah Ragab by the time I was close enough to watch the guy in front of me pick it up... hesitate for a moment... then put it back. That was too close!

Records I've bought recently

From Amazon.de
The Smiths "Hatful of hollow"
The Smiths "Meat is murder"

IMG_20210612_165322.jpg

From JPC

Morcheeba "Blackest Blue" on limited blue vinyl
London Grammar "Californian soil" on limited translucent blue vinyl
Royal Blood "Typhoons" on limited translucent blue vinyl

IMG_20210612_165404.jpg

Garbage "No Gods No Masters" on limited white vinyl
Japanese Breakfast "Jubilee" on clear with yellow swirl

IMG_20210612_165525.jpg

And from Amazon.fr for a bargain
The vinyl box "Histoires de Mylene Farmer". She's one of my favorite female artists and as most of her records shall not have the best sound quality, I've went for this 6 vinyl box. Excellent sound and pressing. IMG_20210612_165551.jpg

Last edited:
Records I've bought recently

From Amazon.de
The Smiths "Hatful of hollow"
The Smiths "Meat is murder"

View attachment 102339

From JPC

Morcheeba "Blackest Blue" on limited blue vinyl
London Grammar "Californian soil" on limited translucent blue vinyl
Royal Blood "Typhoons" on limited translucent blue vinyl

View attachment 102340

Garbage "No Gods No Monsters" on limited white vinyl
Japanese Breakfast "Jubilee" on clear with yellow swirl

View attachment 102341

And from Amazon.fr for a bargain
The vinyl box "Histoires de Mylene Farmer". She's one of my favorite female artists and as most of her records shall not have the best sound quality, I've went for this 6 vinyl box. Excellent sound and pressing. View attachment 102342
Well done on the wonderful Smiths albums

Get all the others ...and the singles ..and all the Morrissey stuff ..you know you want too

Back