Fresh Grabs

1025191658a_HDR.jpg

Celestial, the new Christmas album by the metal God himself, Rob Halford. Of course, signed by the legend himself. Honored to have his signature at last! This gold LP variant looks beautiful! (Looks just like UO's press of Breakaway, if you have that, just with a foil effect). Awesome album, can't wait to spin it!

I was recently back in Florida for my parents’ 50th and I had to stop by my old vinyl haunts in St. Pete. Daddy Kool Records moved out into some forgotten corner of the city for some reason. Still a decent store with plenty of new, slightly overpriced vinyl. They had tons of recent Vinyl Me Please releases in stock, but then I remembered VMP named them the best record store in Florida a while back so they probably got a free subscription on all three tracks. Method Man’s Tical was tempting until I saw the $40 price tag.

I also went to Bananas and spent three hours doing my crate digging zen in the un-air conditioned back room.

For those who don’t know, their back room has about 50,000 unsorted records, ranging from 50 cents to three dollars. When I used to live here I’d spend my weekends digging through them, picking up decent used copies of albums from bands like The Cars or Heart or Tom Petty. Decent stuff at a great price.

I was disappointed to find while the quantity of records remained, the quality was a shadow of what it once was. Most records were 1950s or 60s goodwill fare, with only some halfway decent 70s R&B/funk to be found. The classic rock stuff was practically non-existent.

My biggest regret from back in the day was not grabbing Stevie Wonder’s “Songs in the Key of Life” from there. I distinctly remember close to a dozen copies being in the $2.99 bin. Today they’re long gone and I now only see used copies in other stores for for ten bucks and up.

Anyways enough lamenting. I did find a few things that I guess are decent-ish. All came from the back room except the Godley and Creme, which was $5 in the main part of the store.

FW4LkVx.jpg

KOLBgrU.jpg

That Charlie Parker is a bit deceptive. If you're wondering why an album that goes for $50+ on discogs was in the $2.99 bin, it's because the record is for a different Charlie Parker record (same label and time period though). Still worth it, though, plus that cover art rules.

Had the pleasure of winning free tickets to see New Orleans Soul Goddess Erica Falls do her first performance as 'The Elementals' with Rap legends like Chali 2na, Lyrics Born, Alfred Banks & Naughty Professor on the horn section. Amazing show, and they were giving away free 7 inches and hand painted 12''s. Great night of music all around. Dance from 10-3AM.

I am really hoping they do an album as 'The Elementals' cause hearing legends like Chali 2na & Lyrics Born play with Soul singers, and live band sections is just perfect, and you can tell they were having the time of their life.

Erica Falls.jpg

Hit a bit of a jackpot last weekend: drunk old guy who used to be a college station DJ selling records out of his basement.

060C0824-E787-4048-BBC3-7B80D1414ECA.jpeg

Sleeve condition varied a bit but the records I picked up were all VG+ or VG. For $30 I ended up with all of these:

76106CD0-9F2F-4320-886A-9AB8AE9566BC.jpeg

That Bobby Hutcherson is from the same era as Montara, and it’s excellent.

55A4350D-8DAF-4D35-B8DD-77C2C46B074F.jpeg

If I’ve learned anything in my +/- 20 years of collecting records, it’s that any time you find a Tom Waits album for < $2, it’s probably a good idea to buy it.

0B150AC4-55F2-4BFA-8CAA-A9F6AAB6EE3E.jpeg

When I woke up that morning I did not expect that my day would bring me THREE Thin Lizzy records, yet here we are. The surprise of the bundle Nightlife, which is making me want to check more of their early stuff.

0CF33701-FC5B-4EF3-8A52-432B31E40EE6.jpeg

Tbh I’m probably not keeping the Neville Brothers album (too cheesy for my taste), but that Meters was a real score.
Oh, and one day earlier I picked up a $5 copy of Go For Your Guns (I skipped the VMP Classics version because I figured I’d find a cheap copy... glad I was right!).

47ADAFDE-D39E-46B1-933F-A76B7863FB20.jpeg

The Rhiannon Giddens cost me about as much as everything else on this post combined, but sometimes you gotta pay to play, I guess.

Hit a bit of a jackpot last weekend: drunk old guy who used to be a college station DJ selling records out of his basement.

View attachment 20803

Sleeve condition varied a bit but the records I picked up were all VG+ or VG. For $30 I ended up with all of these:

View attachment 20807

View attachment 20804

If I’ve learned anything in my +/- 20 years of collecting records, it’s that any time you find a Tom Waits album for < $2, it’s probably a good idea to buy it.

View attachment 20805

When I woke up that morning I did not expect that my day would bring me THREE Thin Lizzy records, yet here we are. The surprise of the bundle Nightlife, which is making me want to check more of their early stuff.

View attachment 20806

Tbh I’m probably not keeping the Neville Brothers album (too cheesy for my taste), but that Meters was a real score.
Oh, and one day earlier I picked up a $5 copy of Go For Your Guns (I skipped the VMP Classics version because I figured I’d find a cheap copy... glad I was right!).

View attachment 20808

The Rhiannon Giddens cost me about as much as everything else on this post combined, but sometimes you gotta pay to play, I guess.
Thin Lizzy!!!

View attachment 20803

View attachment 20807

View attachment 20804

View attachment 20805

View attachment 20806

View attachment 20808

Thats a dream dig right there! That waits album is fantastic!!

A couple of greats this past two weeks.

Got an 08 original pressing of Mutations with the 7” in NM condition

75E077D4-085F-4790-9D23-AC6A3EC0E113.jpeg

Then, all of the Colemine goodness including Soul Slabs Vol 1 in red from a very generous fellow on discogs. 🥰

219FEEB1-D9F4-4008-94E2-9E4E3DB349FE.jpeg

Table is going to catch fire from all the spinning tomorrow.

This thread just should be renamed Fresh Colemine Grabs, three posts in a row with Colemine records! Congrats @Plaid Room / Colemine! I received the first part of my recent orders on HHV. Two Ikebe Shakedown and three Nimbus West reissues arrived today.

Ikebe Shakedown - The Way Home Black Vinyl Edition (LP | Colemine | Original | US-2017)
Ikebe Shakedown - Hard Steppin' EP Black Vinyl Edition (LP | Colemine | Original | US-2016)

1572258136762.png

Horace Tapscott With The Pan-Afrikan People's Arkestra - Flight 17 (2LP | Outernational Sounds | Reissue | EU-1978)
Creative Arts Ensemble - One Step Out (2LP | Outernational | Reissue | EU-1981)
Nate Morgan - Journey Into Nigrita (LP | Outernational | Reissue | EU-1983)

1572258224283.png

This thread just should be renamed Fresh Colemine Grabs, three posts in a row with Colemine records! Congrats @Plaid Room / Colemine! I received the first part of my recent orders on HHV. Two Ikebe Shakedown and three Nimbus West reissues arrived today.

Ikebe Shakedown - The Way Home Black Vinyl Edition (LP | Colemine | Original | US-2017)
Ikebe Shakedown - Hard Steppin' EP Black Vinyl Edition (LP | Colemine | Original | US-2016)

View attachment 20910

Horace Tapscott With The Pan-Afrikan People's Arkestra - Flight 17 (2LP | Outernational Sounds | Reissue | EU-1978)
Creative Arts Ensemble - One Step Out (2LP | Outernational | Reissue | EU-1981)
Nate Morgan - Journey Into Nigrita (LP | Outernational | Reissue | EU-1983)

View attachment 20911
Damnnnnn @Skalap, deliving the fire again! That 'Flight is the only one of the 3 they reissued of Tapscotts that I haven't got. I will have to look into that again!

Damnnnnn @Skalap, deliving the fire again! That 'Flight is the only one of the 3 they reissued of Tapscotts that I haven't got. I will have to look into that again!

Catch the train because more Nimbus West reissues are coming. Mr Bongo is also selling almost all the Tapscott sessions, all originals and sealed apparently.

Back